Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure I'm fussed on the blue plates. Anyone know how they are fixing the plates to the front of the cars in Vic?
The numberplates are screwed into a kind of black plastic plate that is (I guess) very sturdily stuck onto the front of the car itself. I did the MY but expect it’s exactly the same for M3. It’s very easy to unscrew the standard numberplates and screw your own ones in if you want. I managed to do it quickly at the delivery centre (and I am far from handy).

I purchased my gen 3 wall charger from the Tesla shop on a Monday, it arrived by the Thursday to inner city Melbourne.

I delayed the electrician appointment a couple of months, but when they came the install was done within a morning. My run of electrical cable (from switch box to wall charger, through the ceilings and walls) was less than 3m total. The further you need to run the wiring, the longer (and more expensive) it’s going to be.

I’m guessing with the current tradie market; the lead time for an electrician - from booking to installation - is going to vary a fair bit.

The biggest risk i think you face in getting it installed “early” is that Tesla release a gen 4 wall charger after you’ve had it installed. But there’s been no talk or rumours of any new wall charger hardware being in the works.

And of course you could go with an alternative non-Tesla wall charger
Thanks, quite helpful. I've settled on going for the Tesla wall charger, it doesn't seem like there will be a gen 4 anytime soon, I could just do it now but I don't want it to mock me for months! 😜

Reactions: mpowney
I’d recommend an electrician who has done Tesla Wall Connectors before. They have to know a little bit about commissioning the wall connector itself, which involves connecting to it with wifi. I’d hazard a guess some “old school” sparkie’s might get confused by the commissioning process.

In addition I found it comforting the electrician did mine has done a lot of installations before because the things they need to do to make the high current safe. For example mine could describe to me over the phone how to reorganise the limited space in my switch box so I wouldn’t have to pay a fortune for an additional box.

Yes. Any electrician is qualified for this knowledge, but I liked that he’d done enough of these to know what needed to be done with little prompting.

If finding one via google is difficult, try joining the Facebook “Tesla Model 3 & Y Australia” group. There’s a few recommendations there.
I had my Tesla wall charger installed for my Wife's XC40 2022 and I commissioned it myself. The sparky simply installed 3 mtrs of conduit, ran the cable and installed it to the wall and the cutoff switch. Setting it up took 30 seconds. Connected it to Wifi set the maximum amperage of 32Amps, that's it started working and I have not looked back for 6 moths now. I will say on a side note, car dealers are trying to RIP everyone off by installing OTHER branded car chargers. Volvo want 3K Mg wanted 2.5 for my mother in laws NEW MG delivered last week. Most people don't realize the Tesla chargers work with all cars here in Australia that I can see. Also, they are an affordable option if you want a single phase set up. i'm Really happy. If I could just get my M3 Red SR delivered by Christmas, I'll be happy. total cost for my mother in laws install of her charger with tesla cost was $1600, mine was $1300. Remember Tesla Owners don't let other EV buyers get conned by car dealers. I have made it a mission to educate everyone on charging at home and the best and easiest set up for there needs. There is a lost FUD out there.

Mine has been sitting on the wall since July. Spiders find the space behind the plug a nice comfortable spot to live 😬
I also went with the Tesla wall charger. A great looking unit.

Installed it super early - as there is no downside in an early install.

The tradie market will be challenging in the run up to Xmas - suggest best to take steps now rather than wait.

Shop around - the Tesla recomended installers were much more expensive (1.5 times the price) of my normal local electrican. Who did a great job.

The wall chargers are becoming more and more common -> many busy local electricians have installation experience already.

Reactions: Missimpatient
I purchased my gen 3 wall charger from the Tesla shop on a Monday, it arrived by the Thursday to inner city Melbourne.

I delayed the electrician appointment a couple of months, but when they came the install was done within a morning. My run of electrical cable (from switch box to wall charger, through the ceilings and walls) was less than 3m total. The further you need to run the wiring, the longer (and more expensive) it’s going to be.

I’m guessing with the current tradie market; the lead time for an electrician - from booking to installation - is going to vary a fair bit.

The biggest risk i think you face in getting it installed “early” is that Tesla release a gen 4 wall charger after you’ve had it installed. But there’s been no talk or rumours of any new wall charger hardware being in the works.

And of course you could go with an alternative non-Tesla wall charger
That’s exactly my thought. Assume if we all get cars during Xmas new year time. Book in electrician during the time might be a challenge? I also wondering about the gen 4 . There’s no rumor at all. But again, we are talking about Tesla, you may get up in the morning and get surprise news

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the Tesla Wall Charger doesn't support even a basic timer if it's not being used on a Tesla right? So if you plug in your XC40 when you get home and want it to kick on at (say) 10PM when power is cheap you'd have to remember to go out and turn it on? I know some other units also monitor solar input, which Tesla can do with an app, but again if you're not exclusively charging a Tesla this isn't an option on the Wall Charger right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the Tesla Wall Charger doesn't support even a basic timer if it's not being used on a Tesla right? So if you plug in your XC40 when you get home and want it to kick on at (say) 10PM when power is cheap you'd have to remember to go out and turn it on? I know some other units also monitor solar input, which Tesla can do with an app, but again if you're not exclusively charging a Tesla this isn't an option on the Wall Charger right?
Hi Mate, I use the in-car timer. I connect it at 6 when the wife arrives home ish and then it starts at 10pm. in car timers are best from what I have seen. Both the XC40 Recharge and the NEW MG EV have in car schedulers that are really simple and easy to use. I have not seen a single issue yet.

I also wondering about the gen 4 . There’s no rumor at all. But again, we are talking about Tesla, you may get up in the morning and get surprise news
I wouldn't sweat it. I'm running a gen 2 and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything important with the gen 3. At the end of the day it's a pretty utilitarian piece of equipment, almost all the essential smarts are in the car itself.

Is anyone using a Fronius Wattpilot? I suspect the 11kW Go version, accessories kit and cable to come in more expensive than a Tesla Gen 3 and mobile connector. For 6 months of the year I get 20kW plus excess solar (max 5kW instantaneous) and 5-15 kW excess per day the rest of the time.

I’m trying to compare connecting up the Gen 3 and letting the car charge at say 4kW and using the Wattpilot which would limit itself to excess solar only. The car is frequently at home during times of solar generation not to be a factor. Anyone got any experience with this? Does the Wattpilot accessories kit include facility to plug into a standard household power point?

Hi Mate, I use the in-car timer...
Ahh that's good to know! I don't really mind where the solution is as long as it's there. I bet all EV's will have this.

I worked out for my uses a basic timer is all we will need, I'm not worried about managing solar down to the electron. The important thing is the car is charged regardless. With absolutely zero sun my wife's incoming M3LR would cost $6.08c to fill (add a bit more for transmission loss), and if the sun is shining it could be less than $1 (charging too fast for it to = $0).

An expensive solar monitoring EV charging setup would never pay itself back in our particular case. I think in our next home I'll get a couple of the Tesla HPWC's installed on the same circuit.

Is anyone using a Fronius Wattpilot? I suspect the 11kW Go version, accessories kit and cable to come in more expensive than a Tesla Gen 3 and mobile connector. For 6 months of the year I get 20kW plus excess solar (max 5kW instantaneous) and 5-15 kW excess per day the rest of the time.

I’m trying to compare connecting up the Gen 3 and letting the car charge at say 4kW and using the Wattpilot which would limit itself to excess solar only. The car is frequently at home during times of solar generation not to be a factor. Anyone got any experience with this? Does the Wattpilot accessories kit include facility to plug into a standard household power point?
Just use charge Hq with the Tesla charger and it will run on excess solar

Reactions: jacksyd2022
The numberplates are screwed into a kind of black plastic plate that is (I guess) very sturdily stuck onto the front of the car itself. I did the MY but expect it’s exactly the same for M3. It’s very easy to unscrew the standard numberplates and screw your own ones in if you want. I managed to do it quickly at the delivery centre (and I am far from handy).
I might get them to not attach it and I'll get another bracket to mount the front plate.

Got the 3phase Wattpilot installed and it has the 5 pin plug. Not much experience yet, since my M3 is bobbing on the water somewhere near Singapore. But we tried with a friends car. Starts charging when Solar excess passes 1.3 KW, can give priority to the house battery or vis versa. Total cost incl. install was $1000.-- more than the Gen3, so quite a difference.