Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a hidden VIN last night, after three months since order (OD: 11/11/2022). EDD now sits at TBD.

How long does it generally (on average) take from hidden VIN to delivery appointment?

I'm guessing that payment and insurance is best done once EDD gets clear and confirmed.

Also, can't help wondering if I should defer it, and wait for the upgraded 2023 model. What do you guys think?

Got a hidden VIN last night, after three months since order (OD: 11/11/2022). EDD now sits at TBD.

How long does it generally (on average) take from hidden VIN to delivery appointment?

I'm guessing that payment and insurance is best done once EDD gets clear and confirmed.

Also, can't help wondering if I should defer it, and wait for the upgraded 2023 model. What do you guys think?
How would you go about deferring it without forfeiting the deposit?

How would you go about deferring it without forfeiting the deposit?
If you are within your EDD, then there are very limited ways of deferring the delivery and the result may be unpredictable. For instance, you could change your config a little, as swap 18in wheels for 19in wheels or change color for the car. However, your success will depend on if they have one of the newly chosen configurations also on in stock or if you get pushed to the next batch.
On the other hand forfeiting the deposit may be acceptable cost for getting the later model if it is that important to you.
Now the more important question is about that upgrade and its timeline. As the information we currently have is mostly speculation and not confirmed, so we do not actually know when the upgraded model will start shipping to Australia and what changes are actually in that upgraded model.
At current stage I am leaning towards taking the car when it arrives and not trying to defer it unless there is an announcement from Tesla and it includes something in the upgrade that would be worth it for me to wait months longer and cost of the ordering fee again as well as trouble of arranging the finance again.

Reactions: Ryanjava
If anyone in Victoria has their ZEV subsidy expiring before their current EDD as a result of the port SNAFU I would suggest you drop Solar Victoria an email.
The extension for my subsidy expired today and I contacted Tesla a couple of weeks back when the most recent EDD moved well past the expiry date.
They informed me that they would notify Solar Victoria of this latest delay and I did not need to contact Solar Victoria.
Fast forward to yesterday when I pinged Tesla again given I hadn't heard anything regarding the expiring subsidy and was disappointed to hear they hadn't followed-up as promised and was not confident that their advice to 'wait until delivery to see what happens' was entirely solid!
Hope has never been a good strategy in my experience to I emailed Solar Victoria last night and had an email extending the subsidy by a further two months at 9:30 this morning.
Pretty happy with that rapid response and one less hurdle on the Model 3 mission - the next hurdle is my insurance quotes expire on the first day of the current revised EDD window. :rolleyes:

If anyone in Victoria has their ZEV subsidy expiring before their current EDD as a result of the port SNAFU I would suggest you drop Solar Victoria an email.
The extension for my subsidy expired today and I contacted Tesla a couple of weeks back when the most recent EDD moved well past the expiry date.
They informed me that they would notify Solar Victoria of this latest delay and I did not need to contact Solar Victoria.
Fast forward to yesterday when I pinged Tesla again given I hadn't heard anything regarding the expiring subsidy and was disappointed to hear they hadn't followed-up as promised and was not confident that their advice to 'wait until delivery to see what happens' was entirely solid!
Hope has never been a good strategy in my experience to I emailed Solar Victoria last night and had an email extending the subsidy by a further two months at 9:30 this morning.
Pretty happy with that rapid response and one less hurdle on the Model 3 mission - the next hurdle is my insurance quotes expire on the first day of the current revised EDD window. :rolleyes:
I don't seem to see an expiry date on my email I received from ZEV, is it hidden somewhere?

Thanks.

I don't seem to see an expiry date on my email I received from ZEV, is it hidden somewhere?

Thanks.
There wasn't any direct mention of the expiry in my first email but the fine print regarding the Victorian ZEV subsidy includes this 'The ZEV Subsidy Program requires that motor car traders deliver vehicles to customers within 6 months of the contract of sale.'

I received a second email when the first six month period was almost up and that was an extension of a further 120 days with a definite end date (today). I believe this update from Solar Victoria was the result of Tesla advising them of the delays last year.

My third email has now extended that yet again and gives another definite end date.
I'm guessing you haven't been on the hook as long as I have (10 months so it is now starting to get old) so hopefully you won't run into the 6 month issue? ( I just saw your signature so redundant question).

Last edited:
My VIN is still hidden but they have advanced my EDD from Feb 23 - May 23 to TBD to March 17 to March 31, so this is progress and hopefully indication that I can expect a car before the end of this quarter :)
It is looking very promising, so I will schedule cleaning for my current car for next week and see about advertising it for sale. Hopefully will get to sell it before the new one arrives.