Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has not changed from day 1 either but i suspect that is because i have not filled Vehicle Registration form yet. Does anyone know Vehicle Registration Form has to be returned before certain days?
I exactly thought the same because I didn't filled registration form , but seems that has nothing to do with rego documents, a friend of mine who ordered same config and same pickup location but ordered 2hrs later than me and build date 2days after me has earlier edd(3-13) than me. Basically Tesla EDD is random date generator I guess

Reactions: blue3030
While we are waiting in this waiting room :)D), I watched a video on range anxiety for new Tesla drivers. Now, a bit about me, range anxiety will hit me... hard... I'm the type of person that get anxious when my fuel tank is 1/4 left on my ICE, so my biggest worry for having the tesla (which is my first ever EV) is the battery.

I read a lot of articles and video, as well as some of the people here that gave me some assurance that range anxiety in Tesla is not an issue and as long as you plan ahead and follow the route instruction for charging you should be fine.

But question: most article told you to charge just as required (e.g. if Tesla says to charge up to 85% in a supercharger, don't charge more). Why is this? Most explanation is saying there's no benefit. But couldn't you charge a bit extra (e.g. charge it up to 95%, instead of 85%)?

Is this more for courtesy (e.g. vacating the spot for other car) or there's some other benefits (i seems to recall someone saying the fuller the battery the slower the charge time?)

While we are waiting in this waiting room :)D), I watched a video on range anxiety for new Tesla drivers. Now, a bit about me, range anxiety will hit me... hard... I'm the type of person that get anxious when my fuel tank is 1/4 left on my ICE, so my biggest worry for having the tesla (which is my first ever EV) is the battery.

I read a lot of articles and video, as well as some of the people here that gave me some assurance that range anxiety in Tesla is not an issue and as long as you plan ahead and follow the route instruction for charging you should be fine.

But question: most article told you to charge just as required (e.g. if Tesla says to charge up to 85% in a supercharger, don't charge more). Why is this? Most explanation is saying there's no benefit. But couldn't you charge a bit extra (e.g. charge it up to 95%, instead of 85%)?

Is this more for courtesy (e.g. vacating the spot for other car) or there's some other benefits (i seems to recall someone saying the fuller the battery the slower the charge time?)
The reason is that the charging speed greatly reduces as the state of charge increases. So it may take 5 minutes to add 100km when charge is low, but if you are at 80% it may take 60 minutes to add that last 100km.

You can charge for longer, it is just less efficient. (and not polite if you don't really need it and other people are waiting)

Reactions: Azure7
i am in kinda trick situation here. Order placed on company name, invoice and vehicle registration (i have not yet filled/returned it back to tesla yet) is under company name however situation arises where i may need to change it from company name to my own name - hope i can sort this and i may not need to do it but in worst scenario i may have to. Has anyone done something similar like this at this scenario? TIA.

The reason is that the charging speed greatly reduces as the state of charge increases. So it may take 5 minutes to add 100km when charge is low, but if you are at 80% it may take 60 minutes to add that last 100km.

You can charge for longer, it is just less efficient. (and not polite if you don't really need it and other people are waiting)
Thanks Mate. make sense - so just follow the instruction, as an extra 15-20 mins of charging may only add unnecessary time and not worth it for trip efficiency.

The EV etiquette is also something I am researching on, as it will be my first EV, and in this instance ignorance is not bliss :p

I hate having my fossil car below 1/2 tank, but went into EV ownership accepting that it would require a new mindset. I'm now confident in running the car down to less than 10% if it tells me that I'll make it to the next charger.

If you want to learn how to change your approach and mindset, I'd suggest watching a few Bjorn Nyland 1000km challenge videos, along with the video of when he ran the model X battery flat in an Ikea car park (and just how hard it was for him to do so).

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
i am in kinda trick situation here. Order placed on company name, invoice and vehicle registration (i have not yet filled/returned it back to tesla yet) is under company name however situation arises where i may need to change it from company name to my own name - hope i can sort this and i may not need to do it but in worst scenario i may have to. Has anyone done something similar like this at this scenario? TIA.
I changed my invoice to SG fleet from my personal name. No issues at all so far. But I didn’t change the registration name, so that could be a sticking point… just ask I suppose.

Reactions: blue3030
My wife has driven from Melbourne to Sydney, stopping only twice along the way to charge, and arrived home with 9 km left - less than 2%! 😄
My Mrs is the same with the Ice. We fill up in Costco which is around 10ish KM from our place (fuel price is cheaper there), and she would only fill up when the car is at under 15-20 KM... I would hyperventilate if this is the case, while she would just be relaxed and say there's always the back up tank. :D

I have a feeling she would fit in the Tesla just fine, which is good because she most likely would daily drive the MY :p