Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This looks right, price must need to be under 78k or something?
Base model plus 20" wheels $77,989.
Add one of the $1500 paint options and it now jumps to $82,514.

Note than in NSW, if you end up paying stamp duty on a zero-emissions vehicle (because it is over the current price threshold) that vehicle will be exempt from payment of the Road Usage Charge, whenever it comes into effect, for the life of the vehicle or until it is traded (and is duty exempt at the time of the trade).

In a way, you can consider ZEV stamp duty as an up-front payment of the RUC.

From 1 July 2027 (or when ZEVs are >30% of new vehicle sales), NSW stamp duty will be removed from all ZEVs regardless of price, and all those ZEVs will be subject to the RUC.

Some people might think that it’s worth paying just over the threshold for a ZEV if it means they’ll never pay the RUC on that vehicle. Some will win on that equation, others would lose.

Note than in NSW, if you end up paying stamp duty on a zero-emissions vehicle (because it is over the current price threshold) that vehicle will be exempt from payment of the Road Usage Charge, whenever it comes into effect, for the life of the vehicle or until it is traded (and is duty exempt at the time of the trade).

In a way, you can consider ZEV stamp duty as an up-front payment of the RUC.

From 1 July 2027 (or when ZEVs are >30% of new vehicle sales), NSW stamp duty will be removed from all ZEVs regardless of price, and all those ZEVs will be subject to the RUC.

Some people might think that it’s worth paying just over the threshold for a ZEV if it means they’ll never pay the RUC on that vehicle. Some will win on that equation, others would lose.
That's pending the lawsuit in Victoria.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximillan
Which my prediction is will be lost, i.e. the RUC will be deemed lawful. Much to the plaintiffs’ and Commonwealth‘s chagrin. But it might force the Commonwealth to bring all the States together to try to agree to a national framework for road usage charges, which would be a good thing.

Its-the-vibe-your-honour-The-castle.gif

Where else in the world is the RUC applied?
Don't know, but I have found out that some US states charge a higher annual car registration fee for EVs that ICEs. So it's kind of equivalent anyway.

What I don't understand is why the government doesn't just set a standard RUC for all vehicles rather than just EVs. That would be fairer (although we still wouldn't like it).