Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm torn if I should be 'sensible' and change too as then I could do it as a company car etc.
Hey, I did the same. Had ordered MYP on day one at 11am.
Changed my order to RWD on the 16th of Nov. EDD changed to Nov-Dec.
Even got a call from Tesla rep stating I have been allocated a car.
Next up in few days, vin allocated, final
Invoice received and rego papers. EDD pushed to 29 Nov - 13th Dec.
No issues, I think it’s because of the ship delayed docking … Don Juan or whatever it is called.

For your questions -
1) You still get the UMC as per your original
Order date.
2) You still original price (before the increase).

All the best.

Reactions: Miggy and Bogan
Fantastic!
I'm torn if I should be 'sensible' and change too as then I could do it as a company car etc.
Couple of questions
1. does it count as a new order - will you still get the UMC?
2. does it change to today's price of the RWD or does it give you the historical price of when you ordered (ie you get the price before the price hike)
Don’t do it ! Forget sensible, the MYP will put a smile on your face and also get better range.. Personally I found the RWD very underwhelming from a performance perspective ( 0-100 in 7 sec) there are now duel cab utes quicker than that !
MYP resale value may also be better as there isn’t a glut of them on the market already. You will also likely get a ‘23 build now with the latest kit.
However, If you’re an A to B kind of person take the RWD. 😜

Reactions: Bogan
Don’t do it ! Forget sensible, the MYP will put a smile on your face and also get better range.. Personally I found the RWD very underwhelming from a performance perspective ( 0-100 in 7 sec) there are now duel cab utes quicker than that !
MYP resale value may also be better as there isn’t a glut of them on the market already. You will also likely get a ‘23 build now with the latest kit.
Interested to see what we’ll get in 2023? Better seats, parcel shelf, better suspension. 🤞

Reactions: Robbo_707

That's the kicker. I spend sooooo much time in my car I wanted all the fun and giggles of the performance as I drive the most vanilla white diesel ute (Ranger Wildtrak) at the moment. I bought the MYP as a rebellion against the ever so sensible ute :) . I drive at least 30k a year, my car is my office around 15hrs a week and I wanted something fun yet practical.
The RWD is faster than my 2 tonne diesel ute but still not as fun.
I think I can wait another month of envy. If we don't start to see actual things start to happen for deliveries next year then I'll probably swap over in January (then kick myself when the MYP arrives soon after)

That's the kicker. I spend sooooo much time in my car I wanted all the fun and giggles of the performance as I drive the most vanilla white diesel ute (Ranger Wildtrak) at the moment. I bought the MYP as a rebellion against the ever so sensible ute :) . I drive at least 30k a year, my car is my office around 15hrs a week and I wanted something fun yet practical.
The RWD is faster than my 2 tonne diesel ute but still not as fun.
I think I can wait another month of envy. If we don't start to see actual things start to happen for deliveries next year then I'll probably swap over in January (then kick myself when the MYP arrives soon after)
Ah the great Australian EV tragedy narrative.. They will write books on this.

I'm kinda tempted to change MYP to MY SR as well. Esp with new tax incentive... Was thinking maybe to get the Model 3 long range as it fits just under the 85k threshold.
I obviously haven't driven a MYP, but as a RWD it's fast enough for the cut and thrust of Sydney traffic and it suits the overall package of the car. The bigger size and higher centre of gravity mean it won't ever be as sharp a weapon as the 3. Tesla have done a great job of trading off comfort, practicality, and performance to make a great all rounder.

As a sports saloon the M3 LR also hits the sweet spot for what is a different brief.

For the MYP people out there, at what point do you cut the cord and call it quits (if you do). If March rolls around and still no deliveries and more delays what would you do?
I don't think my ICE car is going to last that much longer - I'm already postponing $4k worth of stuff that Ford thinks it 'needs'
So I'll have to pull the pin in January some time if I can get a RWD earlier - ie there is a cancellation etc that I can take up quick.

I don't think my ICE car is going to last that much longer - I'm already postponing $4k worth of stuff that Ford thinks it 'needs'
So I'll have to pull the pin in January some time if I can get a RWD earlier - ie there is a cancellation etc that I can take up quick.
Yeah that sucks. History has shown though that if you make the switch to a RWD it seems your allocated a car fairly quickly which is a decent consolation

I'm in the same boat but not so much my ICE lasting much longer but coming up for a round of major servicing and continuing to plumet in value.
Current ICE has dropped 10K in value in the past 2 months on the used car market and in Jan it's due major servicing and brakes need to be changed as well (all up close to 5K). Thinking about picking up an interim car, that won't be needing the servicing requirements or take as big a hit on depreciation until the MYP lands.

For the MYP people out there, at what point do you cut the cord and call it quits (if you do). If March rolls around and still no deliveries and more delays what would you do?
I’ll wait until March or early April at the latest. I have a very long daily commute of 260k’s and have been doing it in the wife’s model 3. Autopilot and cheap electricity make this possible and enjoyable. Wife needs her car back though. MY RWD range is a bit tight for my needs so will either wait or go another M3.

Reactions: joseph.luppino