Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I picked up my car today! It all went smoothly, and the car did come with the UMC cables and USS sensors. I'm glad I've got my car, if not I'd be getting nervous about the covid outbreak in China!
One downside is that I got 20" wheels, and it looks like that pushed me over the limit for the WA rebate. But it pretty confusing about how the get the value to be used. I'll look in to it more.

Well I picked up my car today! It all went smoothly, and the car did come with the UMC cables and USS sensors. I'm glad I've got my car, if not I'd be getting nervous about the covid outbreak in China!
One downside is that I got 20" wheels, and it looks like that pushed me over the limit for the WA rebate. But it pretty confusing about how the get the value to be used. I'll look in to it more.
Congrats! I’m checking the status of the Shanghai plant everyday to see it’s still open.
If I recall correctly, only the base model y without extras like paint or wheels qualified for the WA rebate as it just scratched in, same for me EV6 order and now they’ve upped the price I’d rather spend that same money on a better car from Tesla. Enjoy the car!

Congrats. I think only the white colour with 19" wheels was at the price point to scrape in for the rebate but I managed to go around I circles trying to work that out because I couldn't remember the historical price and was using rough numbers.

Where's my LR, dammit! Aust is the obvious market for it.
I agree, except with a big caveat. City people who don't go any further than major regional centres don't need the long range. It also means all the long range being sold into Europe are largely unnecessary. The charging network is more important than the extra range, a well-planned and reliable DCFC network will get you much further than 20% extra battery will. Putting my "snow route" into ABRP only saves 10 minutes in the YLR vs the YRWD from approximately 12 hours on the road return Sydney to Perisher. The 250 kW charging sounds nice, but in practice, the different charge curves make it less of a factor. Ideally Canberra Airport would upgrade from Gen 2 to Gen 3 superchargers as currently if more than 3 cars need to charge, you'll get limited to 60 kW at Canberra Airport and Tuggeranong is further off the main highway so the time saving from higher charge rate is lost to extra time to get to the charger.

There are some big gaps in central Queensland which the QESH is slowly closing these gaps that currently only a LR can comfortably traverse without having to break out the 3 phase AC adaptors.

Putting my "snow route" into ABRP only saves 10 minutes in the YLR vs the YRWD from approximately 12 hours on the road return Sydney to Perisher.
That's certainly the case under optimum conditions, if you're driving the ideal plan and only stopping for the minimal charging time.

However, having owned and travelled long distances in both the 3SR+ and 3LR now, I can say that just the reduction in number of charging stops required in practice tends to save a lot more than that for us. If you're travelling with a family you're going to end up stopping for a longish meal break, which means an opportunity for a long charging session at no real time cost, a break that will then get you further down the road with an LR versus a RWD. Also whenever we do stop it inevitably takes way longer than it should to get back on the road again!

That's certainly the case under optimum conditions, if you're driving the ideal plan and only stopping for the minimal charging time.

However, having owned and travelled long distances in both the 3SR+ and 3LR now, I can say that just the reduction in number of charging stops required in practice tends to save a lot more than that for us. If you're travelling with a family you're going to end up stopping for a longish meal break, which means an opportunity for a long charging session at no real time cost, a break that will then get you further down the road with an LR versus a RWD. Also whenever we do stop it inevitably takes way longer than it should to get back on the road again!
The MY RWD range still exceeds the range of the weakest bladder in our family, so it suits the criteria. :)

• Funny
Reactions: *Sparkles*
The bigger the battery the more juice gets in to the battery with those shot pee stops....

If you're travelling 2 hours at 110 km/h, you're only using 50% of the YLR battery. From 50% SoC you're taking in less than 90 kW and the charge curves aren't that different between LG NCA and CATL LFP. In the YRWD you're using 64% which means the charge curve is actually faster in km/h terms charging from 36%. (using efficiency figures and usable capacity from ev-database.org, YRWD is more efficient than YLR).

See Bjørn Nyland's shreadsheet.

City people who don't go any further than major regional centres don't need the long range.
I don't really need the long range very often either. I just want the performance, without having to buy a P and spend even more, and then spend even more changing those 21" wheels out for 19" ones... the LR would be exactly right, and it's not like it doesn't exist elsewhere in the world. OK, whinge over.

City people who don't go any further than major regional centres don't need the long range. It also means all the long range being sold into Europe are largely unnecessary.
I feel like this comment is kind of redundant, because *wants* are just as important as *needs* when you're looking to buy at this price point. People should buy whatever variant suits them best, and ticks off all the boxes.

In this case, both the RWD and the LR would get someone from A to B, but if they value speed, or specifically want AWD, then it's a no brainer.

Reactions: [Zombie]
I've been obsessively checking for delivery date updates (Feb - Mar, Black RWD) and I'm wondering: do delivery date estimates ever update on the weekend? Can I restrict my obsessive checking to weekdays?

Also, when do we think Feb-Mar orders are going to start getting allocated in earnest? I've seen some come through but it seems more like cancelled orders being redistributed than the start of allocations.

I've been obsessively checking for delivery date updates (Feb - Mar, Black RWD) and I'm wondering: do delivery date estimates ever update on the weekend? Can I restrict my obsessive checking to weekdays?

Also, when do we think Feb-Mar orders are going to start getting allocated in earnest? I've seen some come through but it seems more like cancelled orders being redistributed than the start of allocations.
When did you order, what wheels?

I hope so to. ordered 17/6, happy I got in on the cheaper price. Originally ordered the povo pack, but changed the color to blue after a test drive in July.
I did get some updates in September where the delivery location changed to Chatswood, but nothing since.

When did you originally place the order? I thought new orders do not have UMC included..