Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The number of posters that have been posting about their MYP orders have been unbelievable. I am only new here, but the MYP to RWD order ratio is easily 10:1
Tesla got a massive number of orders for both the RWD and Performance versions on "launch day" (10 June 2022) as people had been waiting for many years to place their order - myself included.

Most of those day 1 RWD orders have already been delivered in the last 6 months, but the first Performance VIN allocations only started a month ago, so right now the Perfs coming to Australia outnumber the RWDs.

Just as an example, there's a shipment of Model Ys coming to WA right now with 85x Performance and only 15x RWD.
But the Performance are all from 10th of June orders, the RWDs would be from September/October.

Once they catch up on the initial rush most of the discussion you see will go back to being about the (more popular overall) RWD variant.

There was a spreadsheet tracking Model Y orders for the first few days, and RWDs were 86% of the orders on that sheet. 803 out of 931 orders.

I don't know if that's a big enough sample to be statistically significant vs the ~10,000 RWDs delivered in Australia so far, but I imagine it's close enough.

There was a spreadsheet tracking Model Y orders for the first few days, and RWDs were 86% of the orders on that sheet. 803 out of 931 orders.
Thank you. There goes my theory out the window.

Hope all those people enjoy their MYPs. It has been a really long wait for them and for RWD as well. I understand why they are ecstatic.

So you are telling me I have got no hope in hell of getting my RWD order from early Jan being delivered? :)

Does anybody have a checklist for configuring the settings the first time before you drive?

I have this for the inspection but nothing for the initial configuration: Tesla Prep

Also, how long does it take to thoroughly inspect and setup the car before driving off for the first time?
My impression is that a lot of people have reported they take about half an hour to inspect and set up.

Also, how long does it take to thoroughly inspect and setup the car before driving off for the first time?
I only spent about 15 minutes today, because I had to go anyway.
Another 15 minutes for them to tell me how to set up everything.

Also perhaps you already know this, they are not pushy by any means and let you walk around your car, check everything and take any time you'd want (at least in my experience)

What I find strange is AusPost Car Insurance is underwritten by QBE insurance but if you put in the exact same information with QBE, it comes out 500-600 more expensive! How does that work?
Learnt today not to base insurance quote of the day as the final quote - if you get a quote pre-delivery and are still awaiting confirmation of delivery date there could be a 2 - 3 week gap. If so once delivery date is locked in - consider getting a new quote with same insurance provider.

It may go up it may go down.

At least you have the option of the original versus the newer quote if still within the quote valid to window. Yet to try but will consider doing this.

For those in Melbourne (with a VIN) but your car is still doing circles out at sea awaiting docking this could work. Remember, depending on insurance provider, quotes may be valid for 20 - 30 days.

Another thing to consider is some insurance companies use your credit score. One article mentions that people with good credit scores tend to have fewer claims - when people have fewer claims they pay less for insurance. Demerit points, convictions also play a factor. Some insurance companies may give discounts for a new policy to attract new clients

Plenty people with order placed in Jun22 and nothing yet so just chill.
Close to 9 months of waiting finally got VIN.

I know that there are a lot of others who ordered in June/July and have been patiently waiting.

My advice to anyone who ordered within the last 3 months - be patient, review some of the historical posts of members since MY AU launch date. There is a lot of valuable information and I have learnt quite a bit from here.

I know that there are a lot of others who ordered in June/July and have been patiently waiting.

My advice to anyone who ordered within the last 3 months - be patient, review some of the historical posts of members since MY AU launch date. There is a lot of valuable information and I have learnt quite a bit from here.
I placed my order for an MYP (Brisbane) on June 18th 2022. I have been notified that a car has been assigned to my order but no VIN as of yet.

Anyone hear about this...fire on Hoegh Trooper? That probably explains why it is bolted to the wharf. Apparently a worker was placed in danger by being left on board. I am surprised it hasn't made this forum given the intense scrutiny Webb west is getting at the moment.

Learnt today not to base insurance quote of the day as the final quote - if you get a quote pre-delivery and are still awaiting confirmation of delivery date there could be a 2 - 3 week gap. If so once delivery date is locked in - consider getting a new quote with same insurance provider.
I did this by accident with one insurer. I rang them to get a quote, then rang again 24 hours later, forgetting that I had already rung that particular insurer. The quoted premium dropped from $3900 to $2900. I didn't go with them anyway as they were too expensive.

Reactions: JNTOZ
I did this by accident with one insurer. I rang them to get a quote, then rang again 24 hours later, forgetting that I had already rung that particular insurer. The quoted premium dropped from $3900 to $2900. I didn't go with them anyway as they were too expensive.

Do the insurance premiums mentioned in this thread cover the glass roof or do we need a separate policy for that?

Does anybody have a checklist for configuring the settings the first time before you drive?

I have this for the inspection but nothing for the initial configuration: Tesla Prep

Do the insurance premiums mentioned in this thread cover the glass roof or do we need a separate policy for that?
The quote (for me) did not exclusively cover glass roof. The model y is unique in this regard having a glass roof. It was not classed as a ‘sun roof’ either.

However if any damage to roof this would not be dealt with exclusively but be part of general policy cover - with respective excess payable. As more and more Teslas are growing on our roads perhaps insurance companies will consider the glass roof separately or give as a option to insure.

Failing to consider this would open up greater competition if Elon were to launch Tesla insurance in Oz!

I would imagine MY & M3 owners (pending and current) would change over to Tesla insurance very quickly if/when (?) it launches in Oz.

Any thoughts - would you swap to Tesla insurance if available in Australia???

Reactions: Zubinix

Congrats mate. Exact same order as you, you have great taste.

The quote (for me) did not exclusively cover glass roof. The model y is unique in this regard having a glass roof. It was not classed as a ‘sun roof’ either.

However if any damage to roof this would not be dealt with exclusively but be part of general policy cover - with respective excess payable. As more and more Teslas are growing on our roads perhaps insurance companies will consider the glass roof separately or give as a option to insure.

Failing to consider this would open up greater competition if Elon were to launch Tesla insurance in Oz!

I would imagine MY & M3 owners (pending and current) would change over to Tesla insurance very quickly if/when (?) it launches in Oz.

Any thoughts - would you swap to Tesla insurance if available in Australia???
It really depends on how much it would cost, to be honest and what additional benefits we would be receiving.