Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The odd thing is, the new chargers going in around sydney are all 50kw and some 25kw..very few are above 150kw..I know they exist in places but getting fast charging cars might end up being pointless.

I'll keep the petrol car for long trips, this is going to be a city car...and probably keep for several years as a run around and maybe then you can change a battery on it? who knows...

The one thing about the new hyundais..is they tend to fit smaller people, try getting in one if you are tall.

Getting an electric car that is safe, fits tall folks, can fit a dog in back, isnt expensive (80 plus) and has some reliability and decent reviews..is actually a challenge.
I am surprised to hear about those slow DC chargers. Are they intended to act like destination chargers rather than being geared towards highway travel?

I am average height and couldn't fit in the back of a Polestar 2. The front was fine and you could definitely fit a dog in the back. The Kona is respectable if you don't need heaps of luggage space. There are plenty of good options coming.

If your MYRWD is just for around town, I reckon you will have oodles of range to spare. Ours will need to do town and highway, and short-range towing.

I finally got the schedule your delivery text this evening. I have locked it in for Thursday (22nd). My only fear now is if SGfleet will be able to get the settlement done by Tuesday (48hr Prior). Responsiveness has never been their thing since we started.
Same this side @theseeker, I checked with SA this morning and they replied saying it is still not here and EDD was moved forward to 26Jun-11 Jul . But to my luck at 5 PM I got a message saying schedule your delivery and the EDD was moved backwards from 20Jun-11Jul and only dates available were 21 st and 22nd ; I have books for 21st can’t wait …. Exciting journey …. Good luck everyone …..

It will always depend on how you use it.

I have driven a Kona, with similar highway range as a MYRWD, from Brisbane to North Queensland, using QESH chargers, which are almost all limited to 50kW (about 45kW in practice). It was fine, so long as I was willing to take some longer breaks, including one where I took a refreshing 30 minute nap in the air-conditioned car while it charged.

It definitely takes longer, and more planning for highway trips. That said, a Tesla can charge much faster on superchargers and ABRP shows all sorts of routes in NSW and Victoria where a day of driving needs about an hour of charging, most of it in short blocks similar to normal breaks to eat and use the bathroom.

There are inland roads that will be impractical in the MYRWD for the time being due to a lack of charging infrastructure.

Yes, any car bought now is likely to be superceded by the next generation. I reckon I will be envious of people nipping into the fast charger and leaving after 5 minutes while I take 15. But I will still get where I am going in a good time, and it will make no difference at all when I am driving around town.

The thing I am definitely going to envy is V2L, V2H and V2G capability. Being able to stop anywhere and run appliances off the car is such a cool idea. I do wish Tesla hadn't dragged their feet on that.
Taking longer breaks is what I am trying to avoid, hence went for the LR. I seriously looked at the IX and the EQC entry level models, with all the dramas associated with buying a Tesla. Their range is less than the MY RWD. I am already on my plan B in buying a car, but plan C and D ended up being 'buy a Tesla' as well, lol. If I step up to the IX Xdrive50 then the value proposition just isn't there for me. I would rather wait for a few years for the EVs to evolve and there could be bargains to be had compared to the current prices of the luxury brand EVs, who knows.

Taking longer breaks is what I am trying to avoid, hence went for the LR. I seriously looked at the IX and the EQC entry level models, with all the dramas associated with buying a Tesla. Their range is less than the MY RWD. I am already on my plan B in buying a car, but plan C and D ended up being 'buy a Tesla' as well, lol. If I step up to the IX Xdrive50 then the value proposition just isn't there for me. I would rather wait for a few years for the EVs to evolve and there could be bargains to be had compared to the current prices of the luxury brand EVs, who knows.
I know what you mean. It does take a bit of playing around with ABRP to get a feel for how long and frequent the breaks will be. For me, the EV advantages are worth the extra travel time, so I am adjusting my expectations a bit. The harsh reality is that anyone wanting to just smash out the miles does still need a petrol engine for now. I do think the next few years will bring some really attractive EV options.

Hi Leconte,
I just wanted to let you know that you appear to have been right. After telling me the 8A/12A tails were the new normal, Tesla have indicated that they are old stock that is/was being cleared. I had a pleasant interaction with one of the Sales support people who was initially confused about what was going on. She tried a few ways to guarantee I would receive 10A/15A tails. In the end, the best she could do was get me to return my UMC for replacement with a random on from the warehouse in the hope that it has 10A/15A tails. She even sent me instructions for how to update the firmware in the hope that I get the right ones this time.

This is one of the few benefits of my car being delayed (actually, I can't think of any others!), I hadn't used my UMC and could return it. Now, I would like the car and UMC to turn up ASAP.
Wait - are you saying there's new UMC with 10A/15A tail?

Aren't these essentially the same one?

Question....do people feel ok with the RWD and the probably 350km to 380km normal range from 100% to 0%. In reality, people wont risk the 0% so it will be 300km driveable...

The new iconiq 6 has more like 450 drivable range from what I have read... and 98% on ncap safety and same price...

I feel range is what lets the car down and in 2 years time the RWD will look a bit prehistoric....thoughts?
Put 74,000 kms on my leaf which had a usable range to <5% of 100 kms. So nah, 350 is going to be great for a long time. Even when the battery degrades to 250 I’ll still smash out 30,000 kms per year in it. Chargers everywhere so no one needs to go more than a couple hundred k’s at a time

Not sure if they are new or old. But I ordered a UMC and recieved it 48 hours later. It’s 10A and 15A plugs.

• Informative
Reactions: JonDarian

My current understanding is that Tesla used to sell 8A/12A UMCs, then they sold 10A/15A UMCs (where the tails are 10/15A, and the UMC firmware is upgraded by the car after the first charging session). It seems that they then started mixing in old stock of the 8A/12A UMCs, and changed the description on the shop page to reflect that. They didn't change the description in a lot of other places, like the New Owners Webinars. They have been, apparently randomly, delivering 10A/15A and 8A/12A kits to people for at least the last few months. Mine came with 8A/12A and a CCS2 Combo Adapter intended for old Model S and X. It is weird. In my case, they agreed to let me return the wrong UMC and try again in the lucky dip. They did also try and see if they could supply one from the delivery centre that is sending my car, because the delivery centres had 10A/15A stock to send with the cars that were eligible for free UMCs due to their ordering dates. Unfortunately, each section of Tesla seems to be silo'd from the others and they couldn't work out how the Tesla Shop could get Tesla Car Sales to supply the UMC.

For anyone unsure of what they have received, look at the tiny lettering between the tines of the plug. It may say "10" and "15", but look for whether it also says "10A" and "15A" or "8A" and "12A". The former can charge at the full 10A/15A after the firmware upgrade. The latter will always max out at 8A/12A.

In a similar vein, Tesla's delivery logistics people have finally understood that they could have saved a lot of money by avoiding trucking the car to me, if only they had been told earlier of the solution(s) I was offering. Tesla Sales didn't listen to that solution because they aren't Logistics, and didn't pass it on to Logistics. Silos that can't talk to each other can be efficient sometimes, and dreadfully inefficient at other times.

Question....do people feel ok with the RWD and the probably 350km to 380km normal range from 100% to 0%. In reality, people wont risk the 0% so it will be 300km driveable...

The new iconiq 6 has more like 450 drivable range from what I have read... and 98% on ncap safety and same price...

I feel range is what lets the car down and in 2 years time the RWD will look a bit prehistoric....thoughts?
Model Y RWD Standard range vehicles have been driven around Australia (13,500kms+) in 14,16 and 17 days, range is not a problem.

Reactions: houdini
After nearly 10 months of waiting I finally received that blessed text and email saying my Model Y is is ready to be scheduled for delivery. I’m picking it up 22nd June at Westgate Park Delivery Centre, Port Melbourne.
MY RWD Black with 20” Induction Wheels and Black Interior

Order Date: 29/08/2022
Original EDD Feb-May 2023 (changed many times)
Build Date: 03/04/2023
RAV Date of Entry: 04/05/2023
Final Delivery Date: 22/06/2023

See you on the road! :)

Not true. And 0% on a Tesla isn’t really 0% on the battery anyway.
Will be a dumb thing to do to let it go to zero and then find out how much really the "below zero reserve" really is.

For 2 reasons
One never really know exactly how much below zero reserve is
Two, if you are zero or close to zero its bad for the battery

Something like Play stupid games win stupid prizes...

But you miss my point - which is no Li-ion battery should not be drained to 0%. It is actually possible to drain a tesla car battery to zero and if it happens it is bad for the battery and the 16V Li-Ion battery in the frunk

Reactions: bean2006
My current understanding is that Tesla used to sell 8A/12A UMCs, then they sold 10A/15A UMCs (where the tails are 10/15A, and the UMC firmware is upgraded by the car after the first charging session).
All the UMCs supplied with 3s/Ys are in fact identical (and are capable of 32A). It's just the tails supplied with them that differ. The oldest Australian 2019 Model 3 UMC gets the same firmware update and can charge at 15A if you plug one of the newer 15A tails into it.

All the UMCs supplied with 3s/Ys are in fact identical (and are capable of 32A). It's just the tails supplied with them that differ. The oldest Australian 2019 Model 3 UMC gets the same firmware update and can charge at 15A if you plug one of the newer 15A tails into it.
Yes, it just needs to upgrade the firmware and then it will work.

I was using "UMC" to refer to the UMC kits. Tesla initially told me the kits containing 8A/12A tails were the new version. That appears not to be true. I offered to just swap the tails on my kit, but they didn't have a way to do that, so I have sent my UMC (kit) back and will get a replacement UMC (kit).

If that doesn't work, and I have received my car, I may be able to raise a service request to get something done about it. A user here did once say they were able to buy the tails as a spare part. Tesla wasn't able to offer that to me this time.

It is a small thing, and some users won't mind getting the de-rated tails, especially as it automatically reduces the load in their household power point (so is maybe safer if they have older wiring or something). For me, I am annoyed to have needed to buy charging equipment at all when it comes standard with other cars. Customers who ordered Model Ys in mid-2022 received free UMCs when they were delivered in early 2023 because of their long wait. My wait has been as long. So, I would like to at least receive the UMC with its full capability, especially as Tesla are happily sending kits with the new tails to other users.