Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up MY Wednesday, went away with the family Thu-Sun and come back to many unread pages on this thread!! I agree with many points made by Jon in regards to Autopilot. No problems at all on a well established freeway, but in more rural type settings at times was terrifying. The wife kept telling me to turn it off!

It struggled the most with overtake turn lanes either not knowing to go straight or go into the un-natural overtake lane, starting to veer left and then jerking hard back to the right. Phantom braking is real, happened 3 times in 8 hours of driving.

No issues with paint or panel quality, LTE connection however has dropped out about 8 times taking 3 or more reboots for it to reconnect. Screen/pc crashed twice requiring reboot. These weren’t just dropouts in remote areas, it basically lost knowledge it even had an LTE device.

Whilst my issues nowhere near that of Jon’s experiences, these are just things you don’t expect to deal with.

Picked up MY Wednesday, went away with the family Thu-Sun and come back to many unread pages on this thread!! I agree with many points made by Jon in regards to Autopilot. No problems at all on a well established freeway, but in more rural type settings at times was terrifying. The wife kept telling me to turn it off!

It struggled the most with overtake turn lanes either not knowing to go straight or go into the un-natural overtake lane, starting to veer left and then jerking hard back to the right. Phantom braking is real, happened 3 times in 8 hours of driving.

I hear lots of people complaining about phantom braking with autopilot. Can I ask genuinely why so many people use it when it's known to be poor? Even on my existing VW which drives quite well on Travel Assist I still hardly ever use it and I drive a lot.

It does appear lots of Tesla drivers really don't enjoy actually driving or have too much faith in dodgy tech.

If there was no price slash would there be this much overturn on this thread?

Of course not.

I do feel JonDarian situation though. He's always come across genuine and it's a letdown to see the issues he's going through after waiting so long.

I really hope that his owner experience improves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken Liu and MyPWSyd
Bit of a coincidence isn’t it.
Raining on everyone else’s parade
I’ve never understood this.
Tesla increases pricing and they’ve ripping us off.
Tesla decreases pricing and they’re screwing over existing owners.
From the very beginning to now Tesla have had a same price worldwide plus transport and local taxes and costs. Inevitably given this policy pricing will adjust for changes in exchange rates. More recently Tesla have lowered pricing to match lowered cost of production brought about by improvements in construction methods like the one piece castings. This is perfectly consistent with the founding statement to “Accelerate the transition to sustainable transport”.
I accept and understand that not everyone is interested in a full analysis of the company that makes the new car they are buying, but you lose me when they find it necessary to make such conspiratorial statements That are clearly not supported by facts.

Autopilot (one click down or two clicks down on the right stalk) is very prone to following too close to the car in front e.g. 1 second gap at 80kph, 1.5 second at 100kph. On a 1000km round trip, I was frequently needing to drive manually to keep a safe following distance. It was Ok sometimes, and dangerous other times.
The TACC following distance is configurable - it's in one of the menus (Driving or Autopilot I think) but the easiest way to change it is to push left/right on the right-hand side control thingy on the wheel (the same one that adjusts the TACC speed when it's active, though you can adjust the follow distance any time). I always suggest people set it to at least 4 or 5, you get a lot less sudden braking for potential obstacles as well.

The Tesla navigation will not show any chargers other than Tesla superchargers. You also cannot precondition the battery for DC fast charging unless you are going to a Supercharger. Given the lack of Superchargers north of Gympie, this is more than a little annoying.
Yeah that's annoying - they do show third party fast chargers (and precondition for them) in Europe though, and have published the criteria they're using to include them, so hopefully that comes to Australia sooner rather than later!

Charging from solar via the UMC is not practical. You can set when you want the car to be ready at the same time each day, but can only specify weekdays or weekends, not different days of the week. You can't specify just when you want it ready next. You can't truly prevent it charging at peak times. You can say when off-peak time ends, but not when it starts. That is so limited.
Yes, the scheduled departure/off-peak charging is best suited for a wall charger. I use that function all the time, but can charge at 11kW so it never takes more than a few hours of charging in one session.

For charging from solar though, I wouldn't use scheduled departure - I'd use scheduled charge, and tell it to start at 9am (or whatever time of day your solar is reliably putting out more than your UMC can consume). You may have to remember to hit 'Stop Charging' when the light starts to fade if it hasn't completed yet, though.

• Informative
Reactions: JonDarian
For charging from solar though, I wouldn't use scheduled departure - I'd use scheduled charge, and tell it to start at 9am (or whatever time of day your solar is reliably putting out more than your UMC can consume). You may have to remember to hit 'Stop Charging' when the light starts to fade if it hasn't completed yet, though.

Good tip - can you explain how schedule charge works with charge hq for the uninitiated? I plan to use it and have already connected to my inverter but the car has not yet arrived. So any tips to maximise solar charging through charge hq is appreciated.

Good tip - can you explain how schedule charge works with charge hq for the uninitiated? I plan to use it and have already connected to my inverter but the car has not yet arrived. So any tips to maximise solar charging through charge hq is appreciated.
If you are using ChargeHQ then turn off scheduled charging in the Tesla app and use the scheduled charging in ChargeHQ, it is far more comprehensive.

Reactions: MyPWSyd and cafz