Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an active safety feature that you can choose to turn on or off

I would encourage you to read the manual

Active safety features should not feel intrusive. A driver should not even know they exist until needed. If they are so intrusive that you have to turn it off then its a low grade safety feature.

Reactions: JonDarian
Normal on all tesla maybe, but not all cars. My new non-tesla EV does not get rusty disk rotors after rain or a wash. The tesla gets so much rust that the brakes lock on when parked and it has to jolt into action

It’s perfectly normal

And before anyone asks, yes it’s also normal for the air conditioner to leave water under the car in summer.

I've used Advanced Autopilot precisely once, I'll spend some more time with it and do some more reading to make sure it's not something I'm doing wrong, but it is terrifying and frustrating.

Taking left hand bends on well marked roads it puts you essentially on the dividing line for no discernable reason. I don't know how the schedule for reminders to "apply light turning force" work but they're so frequent sometimes as to make the entire thing pointless.

I'll do some reading but it seems to know when speed limits change but does nothing about it, it doesn't slow or speed up to match the change. Coming out of autopilot is a nasty jerky affair.

Reactions: JonDarian
This is an active safety feature that you can choose to turn on or off

I would encourage you to read the manual

Thanks. I have read the manual. My drive took me from highways to single-lane back country roads with soft shoulders. I didn't expect to have to turn the safety feature off because it was constantly thinking we were leaving the road, even when we were centred on the bitumen.

I've used Advanced Autopilot precisely once, I'll spend some more time with it and do some more reading to make sure it's not something I'm doing wrong, but it is terrifying and frustrating.

Taking left hand bends on well marked roads it puts you essentially on the dividing line for no discernable reason. I don't know how the schedule for reminders to "apply light turning force" work but they're so frequent sometimes as to make the entire thing pointless.

I'll do some reading but it seems to know when speed limits change but does nothing about it, it doesn't slow or speed up to match the change. Coming out of autopilot is a nasty jerky affair.

I found that resting my elbow on the door rest, with my hand resting the wheel, I was applying enough force to keep Autosteer happy. However, I agree that it is hard to know how much turning force it wants, and how much is too much and will turn it off. I expect to get better at that with experience.

I was also surprised that it would read speed limit signs but not adjust the speed. It also failed to read the signs and wouldn't allow me to to drive at the speed limit in Autosteer (e.g. it missed the transition from 80 to 100kph, and would only Autosteer up to 80).

I do like being able to manually enter the precise speed I want (using the right scroll wheel), which is better than the 2009 Mazda I was driving, but no better than the Kona.

Coming out of Autopilot is definitely jerky. When deliberately cancelling Autopilot (by pushing up on the right stalk), it helps to be applying a little pressure in the accelerator pedal to avoid regen kicking in.

Reactions: noobz
I'm amazed at the direction of this thread. Okay, I've only had the LR for 5 days but my experience is quite the opposite of what I'm hearing here. So how can that be? Same car, same software, same everything presumably so how can one's experiences be so different? (so far) I love the Tesla and would say it's the nicest drive I've ever had at this stage all things considered. Speaking of Autopilot, there's a road that runs from Noosa To Eumundi (ironically called Eumundi Noosa Road LOL) that is narrow and windy.

If I had Benz version of autopilot on on this road I would fear for my life however the MY does it with ease. Okay it's 6 years younger but this isn't about the Benz, it's about how the MY handles it... and it does it with aplomb. I will point out that even though the road is windy, it does have marked lanes.

I'm amazed at the direction of this thread. Okay, I've only had the LR for 5 days but my experience is quite the opposite of what I'm hearing here. So how can that be? Same car, same software, same everything presumably so how can one's experiences be so different? (so far) I love the Tesla and would say it's the nicest drive I've ever had at this stage all things considered. Speaking of Autopilot, there's a road that runs from Noosa To Eumundi (ironically called Eumundi Noosa Road LOL) that is narrow and windy.

If I had Benz version of autopilot on on this road I would fear for my life however the MY does it with ease. Okay it's 6 years younger but this isn't about the Benz, it's about how the MY handles it... and it does it with aplomb. I will point out that even though the road is windy, it does have marked lanes.
The lastest (level 2) benz autosteer and cruise control is light years ahead of tesla. The cruise control takes roundabouts, and you can take over the steering (eg potholes, going around bikes) without it dropping out. Once you are finished interfering with the steering, the systems simply picks up where it left off. It further does not react to cars crossing 200m away that you are clearly not going to hit.
My 4 year old tesla exhibits all of the nasty autopilot features othes are complaining about above.

• Disagree
Reactions: bingbung00
paulp frequently drops into the forum to tell us all how bad tesla is and how happy he is with his new car.
9 year tesla owner here. Still own a tesla too. Not my fault that you cannot identify issues with a car that others above seem to recognise.
My new car is just 2 weeks old and I have not finalised my opinion on it yet, but easy to see which parts of it exceed the tesla experience and which do not

• Disagree
Reactions: bingbung00

I am genuinely happy you are enjoying your car. You are right that painted lane markings make a difference.
I can't account for the difference in experience. As I mentioned above, I expect to try recalibrating my cameras. Does your car miss some speed signs, too? On a 400km stretch of highway here in North Queensland, I probably spent over 20% of it with the wrong speed limit showing.

For me, the experience of driving an EV is much nicer than an ICE car, so I believe you when you say you are loving your LR over your Benz. Having direct experience of other EVs, including my business owning the Kona, the Tesla has been a disappointment in important ways.

There are still positives. EVs are nice and quiet in the cabin. The main drivers of the Kona are in their 60s and wear hearing aids. They find conversation much easier in the Kona than their ICE car. My family enjoyed the quiet in the Tesla.

Similarly, the EV whoosh of acceleration is always nice. The MYRWD acceleration won't tear your face off, but is ample for normal driving. Highway overtaking is easy, for example.

The model Y roof is a bit of a novelty. I worried that glare would bother passengers, but it hasn't so far. They enjoyed being able to look up at passing trees, etc, but overall they mostly ignored the roof.

The handling and suspension is consistent with an SUV. I miss the driving dynamics of the Mazda 6 wagon, though.

I don't care about the Toybox (fart noises, lightshows, turning the map into the surface of Mars), but the games for kids while charging is a nice bonus. It seems like a missed opportunity to have no ability to play your own movies from an SSD. The music player lacking even basic playlist capabilities is surprising, too. I prefer not to rely on streaming, especially so when driving really where mobile access is limited.

The app is handy, and better than the 2022 Kona, although I understand the new Kona has an app, and a lot of other EVs have them or a getting them.

Did you end up deciding to carry a spare wheel in case of flat tyres?

Reactions: paulp
The lastest (level 2) benz autosteer and cruise control is light years ahead of tesla. The cruise control takes roundabouts, and you can take over the steering (eg potholes, going around bikes) without it dropping out. Once you are finished interfering with the steering, the systems simply picks up where it left off. It further does not react to cars crossing 200m away that you are clearly not going to hit.
My 4 year old tesla exhibits all of the nasty autopilot features othes are complaining about above.
Yeah, I like that the Kona re-engages lane assist automatically if it has turned off because of driver intervention, etc. I had read that I would need to re-engage the Tesla autosteer, but really wasn't expecting it to drop out as often as it does. I am also hoping cruise control gets a bit smarter and stops braking for traffic leaving the lane, crossing in the far distance, etc.

Oh, while we are talking about faults. I was pleased to find my MY didn't show any panel gaps worth mentioning. If I looked hard enough, I could convince myself of a millimetre misalignment in a couple of places, but you would really have to look to find a problem. So that was good.

Reactions: paulp
This is my fault for not being clear. As I said, I haven't felt up to writing a proper review. I wasn't using autosteer, or even cruise control on those roads. These were emergency warnings because the car thought a crash was imminent. I was manually driving along a single lane of asphalt and the car would pop a warning every couple of minutes because of apparently IMMINENT DEATH!!!

Autosteer also repeatedly turned off on well-marker highways because of gentle curves, or incoming traffic. At other times, it worked well. You definitely want your hand on the wheel and ready to take over any moment. I just didn't find it relaxing to drive with a system that would turn off and jerk the steering sideways at the slightest provocation. Unexpectedly and abruptly slowing for minor crests in the road, etc, is also dangerous for following cars, and uncomfortable for the passengers.

Yeah, I don't use any cruise control if I will need to constantly adjust my speed. It doesn't matter how good your brakes or reflexes are if you can't see around the corner, so it's no fun going too fast. EVs with regenerative braking do typically make it easy to slow smoothly into corners like that, and then whoosh smoothly out of them again.

Thanks. I'll probably try a recalibration.
Regen was definitely on for the hill descent. I wondered if the speed limit of 40 was somehow too low, but I was able to set it as a limit later in the drive. It was about 10 degrees Celsius, but the battery had been preconditioned using Scheduled Departure, and the battery percentage was in to 60s. Autopilot can be set to "Speed Limit" or "Current Speed". I wonder if somehow the car didn't know the speed limit for that bit of road, so couldn't turn on Autopilot. We tested it in "Current Speed" mode this morning on a hill near home and it seemed to work better, down to a minimum of 30 kph.

Thanks. Yeah, I can understand that it can't steer well without good road markings (the Kona likes good markings, too). The Tesla failed repeatedly even where the markings were great. I've driven the same road in the Kona and its lane-keeping was much better.

I could definitely get paint correction, PPF, professional ceramic coating, etc. I just shouldn't need to repair the paint on a brand new car, especially one as expensive as this. Maybe that's how Tesla should be describing this latest discount? "Here's a few grand to fix and protect the lousy paint on your new car".

Honestly, there are others here who seem to have received a car with unmarred paint. I am wondering if something happened to mine in transit and they had to clean something off it, were only partially successful and somehow damaged the paint in the process. I've never seen automotive paint so fragile.
Can you send a few photos? I can't help but be curious to see how you describe the paint condition.

I am genuinely happy you are enjoying your car. You are right that painted lane markings make a difference.
I can't account for the difference in experience. As I mentioned above, I expect to try recalibrating my cameras. Does your car miss some speed signs, too? On a 400km stretch of highway here in North Queensland, I probably spent over 20% of it with the wrong speed limit showing.

For me, the experience of driving an EV is much nicer than an ICE car, so I believe you when you say you are loving your LR over your Benz. Having direct experience of other EVs, including my business owning the Kona, the Tesla has been a disappointment in important ways.

There are still positives. EVs are nice and quiet in the cabin. The main drivers of the Kona are in their 60s and wear hearing aids. They find conversation much easier in the Kona than their ICE car. My family enjoyed the quiet in the Tesla.

Similarly, the EV whoosh of acceleration is always nice. The MYRWD acceleration won't tear your face off, but is ample for normal driving. Highway overtaking is easy, for example.

The model Y roof is a bit of a novelty. I worried that glare would bother passengers, but it hasn't so far. They enjoyed being able to look up at passing trees, etc, but overall they mostly ignored the roof.

The handling and suspension is consistent with an SUV. I miss the driving dynamics of the Mazda 6 wagon, though.

I don't care about the Toybox (fart noises, lightshows, turning the map into the surface of Mars), but the games for kids while charging is a nice bonus. It seems like a missed opportunity to have no ability to play your own movies from an SSD. The music player lacking even basic playlist capabilities is surprising, too. I prefer not to rely on streaming, especially so when driving really where mobile access is limited.

The app is handy, and better than the 2022 Kona, although I understand the new Kona has an app, and a lot of other EVs have them or a getting them.

There is no doubt that owning any modern EV is superior to an ICE car, especially in city driving

Thanks. To be honest, I haven't noticed the MY missing speed signs at this stage, however my comments need to be in context of 5 days of ownership though. I will say, although the Benz is 6 years older, and the screen is quite a bit smaller, but the cameras seem to be better than the MY, higher resolution.

I was genuinely sad you've had the experience you've had. I chose white over red (my favourite colour) because it was at no additional cost, is by far the colour most used and multi coat. It just seemed to be logical that if I was to avoid paint issues, white would be the one. (I do like it a lot though especially with all the black contrast).

The music player lacking even basic playlist capabilities is surprising
I'm not sure what you mean here? On Spotify I've chosen to use my own account with my playlists, and I think you can choose generic playlists from Tidal for many music genres.

No, I've opted for a Ryobi compressor to get us out of temporary trouble for a puncture but of course that won't help if the tyre is badly damaged. Then it's Tesla roadside assist. I may also invest in an emergency puncture kit too.

I sincerely hope you're able to solve some of you're issues and come to terms with you're purchase. A new motor vehicle purchase is an exciting event in most people's eyes and it's very disappointing when it doesn't stack up to expectations. There are a few people here that seem to enjoy putting s**t on Tesla, I question their motivation of being on a Tesla forum.