Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The TACC following distance is configurable - it's in one of the menus (Driving or Autopilot I think) but the easiest way to change it is to push left/right on the right-hand side control thingy on the wheel (the same one that adjusts the TACC speed when it's active, though you can adjust the follow distance any time). I always suggest people set it to at least 4 or 5, you get a lot less sudden braking for potential obstacles as well.
Thanks for the tip. I did find the technique with the right scroll wheel, but still found the following distance would be really variable. Sometimes it would be a comfortable distance, sometimes my wife would be pushing her foot through the floor as she applied the imaginary brakes on her side of the car.
Yes, the scheduled departure/off-peak charging is best suited for a wall charger. I use that function all the time, but can charge at 11kW so it never takes more than a few hours of charging in one session.

For charging from solar though, I wouldn't use scheduled departure - I'd use scheduled charge, and tell it to start at 9am (or whatever time of day your solar is reliably putting out more than your UMC can consume). You may have to remember to hit 'Stop Charging' when the light starts to fade if it hasn't completed yet, though.
Thanks again.
I may end up getting a wall charger at some point, but will see how we go living with the UMC for a while. I do wish I could just set start and end points for charging, and override them on occassions when I want to fully charge now.

Just a reminder to Queenslanders: Ergon and Energex currently restrict you to 20A per phase unless you are on a controlled tariff (which the network can turn off for up to 6 hours/day). This might mean that to directly offset your consumption against your solar PV production (net metering), you may be limited to 20A. On a single-phase house, the wall charger can only deliver 4.8kW (20A x 240V) on a continuous tariff. Three-phase connections are more expensive to install, but allow the wall-charger to charge at up to 11kW. It is worth checking how your installation will work before buying your hardware.

If you are using ChargeHQ then turn off scheduled charging in the Tesla app and use the scheduled charging in ChargeHQ, it is far more comprehensive.
Unfortunately charge hq is no longer free. Costs involved is a subscription from $70 a year.
Anyone know of any other free alternative to chargeHQ?

Wanting to utilizing charging exclusively from solar at home if possible

Cheers

Thanks for the tip. I did find the technique with the right scroll wheel, but still found the following distance would be really variable. Sometimes it would be a comfortable distance, sometimes my wife would be pushing her foot through the floor as she applied the imaginary brakes on her side of the car.

Thanks again.
I may end up getting a wall charger at some point, but will see how we go living with the UMC for a while. I do wish I could just set start and end points for charging, and override them on occassions when I want to fully charge now.

Just a reminder to Queenslanders: Ergon and Energex currently restrict you to 20A per phase unless you are on a controlled tariff (which the network can turn off for up to 6 hours/day). This might mean that to directly offset your consumption against your solar PV production (net metering), you may be limited to 20A. On a single-phase house, the wall charger can only deliver 4.8kW (20A x 240V) on a continuous tariff. Three-phase connections are more expensive to install, but allow the wall-charger to charge at up to 11kW. It is worth checking how your installation will work before buying your hardware.
The teison smart solar charger lets you set from the app:
Maximum draw in amps, which is usefull for houses with limits.
Required draw in amps
mimimum draw required for solar charging to activate in amps
solar time (so will only charge during this time if set)
peak time (so will not charge during this time if set)
it identifies excess solar and uses it if all the above parameters are met
you can overide at any time
maximum 22kw
wire as single or 3 phase
’plug and play’ option so once you set your parameters its simple to use even without the app
pathetic manuals, but not that difficult to work it all out.
around $1000 supply cost

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JonDarian
Oh the other tip with the solar charging and scheduled start is that the charging end time prediction is usually pretty spot on if the car is sitting idle (ie there's no-one in there with the AC on or similar), so any time during the day while it's charging on solar you can adjust the target % in the app until the predicted end time is when you want it to finish. Means you don't have to remember to tell it to stop at the end of the day.

Oh the other tip with the solar charging and scheduled start is that the charging end time prediction is usually pretty spot on if the car is sitting idle (ie there's no-one in there with the AC on or similar), so any time during the day while it's charging on solar you can adjust the target % in the app until the predicted end time is when you want it to finish. Means you don't have to remember to tell it to stop at the end of the day.
You mean in the Tesla app or charge hq app.

Been browsing here a bit so thought I should put in my dates ect

MY RWD Black
Ordered 05 Jun
Original EDD Jun-Aug
Vin 18 Jun
EDD changed to 04 Jul-25 Jul
Received final invoice today
Build date 09 Jun

Judging from what others have said, seems like it's on the Turandot

I got the updated invoice but they made a mistake on the price.... They reduce the drive away price by 3500 and add it back in my balance payable. I have called my SA to follow up. Hopefully they can get it fixed today as my finance company said they would call me today for loan settlement.

For those still going through novated lease, the NSW rebate doesnt apply but if you get a normal car loan you can get the $3000 rebate, in those circumstances wouldnt going through a car loan work out to be cheaper than going through novated?
I think 100% FBT is a better deal than the $3k green rebate plus the GST defer. I'm waiting for the final invoice so Toyota can finalise the payment for me to pick up the car on Saturday.

Reactions: Nrcl
Back to the waiting game… have just cancelled my MYLR order for next Wednesday delivery at Chatswood and ordered a standard range to take advantage of NSW rebate. I’m not too upset for $3k more saving for one more month of waiting. The after rebate gap between RWD and LR is $19k vs $16k before. To me it’s hard to justify the value proposition
If you don't mind with Vanilla colour and black leather interior plus gemini wheels. The saving is definitely there. Hopefully you can get it faster since lots of people cancelled their order and now probably reconsidering going back to White, RWD, Gemini

Reactions: Ken Liu
If you don't mind with Vanilla colour and black leather interior plus gemini wheels. The saving is definitely there. Hopefully you can get it faster since lots of people cancelled their order and now probably reconsidering going back to White, RWD, Gemini
You may choose either white interior (i did) or a colour (not red) to stand below NSW green rebate threshold

Been browsing here a bit so thought I should put in my dates ect

MY RWD Black
Ordered 05 Jun
Original EDD Jun-Aug
Vin 18 Jun
EDD changed to 04 Jul-25 Jul
Received final invoice today
Build date 09 Jun

Judging from what others have said, seems like it's on the Turandot
This is positive movement. My order was 15/4, I think I'm on Turandot as well. Hoping for final invoice soon as well.