Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like insurance premiums went up again. Because we don't have the car we can't start the policy which is about to expire.
Redoing a new policy adds another $500 for the exact same cover as what I was quoted just a few weeks ago.
This just continues to become better and better ✌️

Looks like insurance premiums went up again. Because we don't have the car we can't start the policy which is about to expire.
Redoing a new policy adds another $500 for the exact same cover as what I was quoted just a few weeks ago.
This just continues to become better and better ✌️
I don’t understand why Tesla insurance is so expensive?
Surely they are a pretty safe car, both mechanically and security. How many teslas get stolen? If you have a clean driving history how are they a high risk?
Probsbly greed.. like most companies doing money grabs while they can

Surely they are a pretty safe car, both mechanically and security. How many teslas get stolen? If you have a clean driving history how are they a high risk?
They have a reputation for being very expensive to repair and easily written-off after relatively minor accidents.

Reactions: dronus
Bit of A, bit of B...

I think it's the fact that they are so quick, inexperienced drivers getting into them and going beyond their capabilities very quickly.

Will be good if/when Tesla insurance ever comes out here, sounds like they are doing some really cool things in the US and the fact that they know your exact driving habits means they can offer insurance to the good drivers and afford to have much lower premiums. They also know the facts about repair costs and how safe the vehicles actually are compared to others.

Funny enough theft seems to be one of the biggest drivers of cost (which is why premiums vary so much between postcodes) but they fail to realise that the Tesla is by far the least likely car to be stolen and in the rare instances it may be, it can be recovered very easily (Nick Kyrgios being the perfect example)

Reactions: dronus
They have a reputation for being very expensive to repair and easily written-off after relatively minor accidents.
Unfortunately this. Apparently premiums have gone up everywhere by like 50% or more in just the past few months. My suburb is hit super hard and my premiums range from $2000-$4000. I was about to go for NRMA for $2019 but now I don't know as it's now $2700.

Anyone found any new info? Is GC going to unload ? Are they quarantined ? Is someone volunteering to swim up, board the GC Navy SEAL style then engage stinkbugs in hand-to-hand combat?

Nothing confirmed but my EDD for Brisbane delivery has just been pushed to December 23-January 13

Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 10.20.24 pm.png

Insurance premium for the Model Y is nearly twice that of my 2018 Civic Type R. As more tech is crammed into new cars, e.g. cameras on mirrors, fancy matrix LED headlights, etc. These commonly broken parts in minor accidents will be more costly to replace. Just those 19 to 21" wheels alone will easily cost over $1.2k each including the tyre, and it doesn't much to bust them up, one pot hole after some heavy rains will easily crack a wheel, the tyre will be an instant write off as well.

Australia has had a lot more extreme weather int he past few years. Insurance for everything has gone up by double digits. $2000+ a year to insure a vehicle is going to be deal breaking territory if I wasn't on a lease and using pre-tax dollars. If you're not driving much, it will have significant impact on running costs when compared to a non-EV.

I will most likely switch back to internal combustion if at the end of lease, insurances are $2,500 + p.a. That alone wipes the chunk of fuel savings as I drive less than 10k km per year. Plus price of power right now is 52-57c /kwh peak where I'm at.

Nothing confirmed but my EDD for Brisbane delivery has just been pushed to December 23-January 13

View attachment 997843
You are on GC too right? I am scratching my head how come people in Brisbane get these updates when Sydney based people like me continue to have an EDD saying Dec 11 - Jan 1....

Tesla is silent as always. Can only assume they got some info if they move the EDD.

You are on GC too right? I am scratching my head how come people in Brisbane get these updates when Sydney based people like me continue to have an EDD saying Dec 11 - Jan 1....

Tesla is silent as always. Can only assume they got some info if they move the EDD.
I haven't been on the delivery date hunting trail for over a year, however I have a mate with a MY on the GC so I'm back looking at this mega thread. You'll find that your EDD will change either today or tomorrow, the algorithm will keep bumping the two week delivery frame window out as you approach the earliest date of your EDD.
Based on that Brisbane update, my guess (based on tracking far too many ships in 2021/22) is pointing to the GC docking in Brisbane on say 20th December. Couple of days to offload, couple of days to head down to Port Kembla, I'll be telling my mate that if he's lucky he'll get it 28th Dec accounting for Xmas and Boxing day slowing down the processing of the cars off the ship and getting them to the Tesla dealer. Most likely in the early new year, provided that the GC manages to offload in Brisbane on the 20th.

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
Long time lurker with a Y on order since August.

FWIW - I spoke with the terminal late last week (I work in intl' logistics and we use them as a vendor for project cargo) and they said that they are waiting on instructions from the shipping line as to when they want a berth. I'll liaise with them again early next week and will keep you all updated if anything changes but if you believe what they say the hold up isn't with the terminal.

In my opinion, I think it's either still under quarantine direction from DAFF (though strange it's taking so long) or there could potentially be a dispute between ship owner and the cargo owners as to who is going to foot the bill for vessel detention while the GC has been waiting to discharge and the ship owner is delaying until settled (vessel demurrage/detention if you're interested). I'm hoping the latter is the more unlikely of the two as in my experience with bulk vessels (coal etc.) this is usually calculated and agreed after the fact - here's to hoping car carriers are the same.

That's a pretty massive IF.

When Tesla reinstated my order, my EDD moves to 31 Dec - 21 Jan. I expect this is what Sydney people will be seeing shortly.
Massive IF indeed. With the stink-ship you gotta be pessimistic... and then double up the pessimism. My EDD in Mel is currently 31 Dec - 21 Jan as well. I had a look at the NSW website just to see what it says, and GC is missing (unless I've gone blind) from the list. It always used to have some placeholder arrival/departure but no more. That's gotta be a bad omen. It's been nearly a week since it left Brisbane and no clear plan for berthing has arrived, so I can only assume it is still doing quarantine :/ fml.