Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'll work the same.

I've gone home but parked outside so I could run in really quick. As I approached, the a door auto-opened. I ran in, grabbed what I needed from the garage, and closed the garage using the keypad on my house as I exited. When I shifted in to reverse to turn the car around the auto close in 20 ft message came up and, sure enough, opened the garage once the wheels spun the equivalent of 20 linear ft.

But you stepped out of your car, so it "shut off" while you ran in. For me, it triggers auto-open/close once after every "startup". So had you simple pulled up, it auto-opened, and a passenger went inside (so you never got up and out to turn off the car), it likely would not have auto-closed.

My theory is the logic works as follows:
- Car must be on (so if car is in garage, this doesn't get ready until you hit the brake/put it in gear)
- Every time the car turns on, set "able to trigger auto-Homelink" to TRUE
- If GPS triggering Homelink popup says car is at home when first turned on, use text "Auto-Close". Else, use text "Auto-Open" when Homelink popup is triggered
- Once countdown hits 0 and auto-open/close is triggered, set "able to trigger auto-Homelink" to FALSE

This likely is missing some detail due to limited experience, but it is the behavior my car exhibits.

Last edited:
The problem I have is that getting into the car with the garage door closed and then hitting the open button on the screen will skip the auto-close function.
Even when opening the garage door with the wall switch, auto-close only functions 60-70% of the time.
Auto-open seems to be more reliable, though.

What I still don't understand is why auto-close works when you enter the garage with Summon, but not when you drive in yourself.
However, when I drive in half way and do the rest with Summon, Homelink will close the garage door.

And RFID won't work, because of the coated windshield. I have to wave my RFID out my Pano roof at work for it to open the gate there.

But you stepped out of your car, so it "shut off" while you ran in. For me, it triggers auto-open/close once after every "startup". So had you simple pulled up, it auto-opened, and a passenger went inside (so you never got up and out to turn off the car), it likely would not have auto-closed.

My theory is the logic works as follows:
- Car must be on (so if car is in garage, this doesn't get ready until you hit the brake/out it in gear)
- Every time the car turns on, set "able to trigger auto-Homelink" to TRUE
- If GPS triggering Homelink popup says car is at home when first turn on, use text "Auto-Close". Else, use text "Auto-Open" when Homelink popup is triggered
- Once countdown hits 0 and auto-open/close is trigger, set "able to trigger auto-Homelink" to FALSE

This likely is missing some detail due to limited experience, but it is the behavior my car exhibits.

Absolutely. I experienced this as well (I left the door cracked as I ran in) and it did not autoclose. The "power cycle" is definitely needed.

And RFID won't work, because of the coated windshield. I have to wave my RFID out my Pano roof at work for it to open the gate there.
Does the FOB not also work on RF principle? All I need of the RFID credit card is to unlock the door and allow me to drive the car.
When you speak of waving the RFID out the pano roof for the gate opening, I imagine the gate receiver could be at a greater distance from the car, am I wrong?

Just tried this for the first time today and I did not open the garage door with the home link in the car and I backed out of the garage and it would not close the garage door, nor would it open my gate. Then after backing out of the driveway the gate would not close automatically. Coming home both gate and garage door opened. I will try opening the garage door from the car as well as the gate and see what happens.

I am NOT saying this is why some are having problems... But I suspect that the wifi network plays a role in the car determining if it is "Home". Every once in a blue moon my Homelink won't pop up automatically and if I click it manually, the entries are white instead of green. However, in each case, the car was not on my house wifi. Perhaps the geofencing takes wifi into account and what the car thinks its location is could be off slightly depending on if it connected to the wifi. Just a thought.

The problem is that the FCC limits power for garage door openers and the homelink transmitter is behind the nosecone, with the hood acting as a shield. This is why when you are facing the garage door receiver the signal is much stronger. The UHF frequencies used are line-of-sight and don't travel through metal or other dense materials well. One thing you can do is to try to extend the antenna on the garage receiver. Usually it's just a short piece of wire. If you splice on a longer wire it sometimes helps. If you have a 390 mhz receiver, then the best total wire length is about 2 1/2 feet. (full wave monopole)

I did this on my receiver and it fixed all the intermittent problems.

Last edited:
Mine was working so unreliably that I turned it off and just use it manually. About 2/3 of the time, it wouldn't even try to close the garage when I back out. No idea why it worked some of the time, but not all of the time. Homelink itself is rock solid. I can open/close my garage from way down the street.
I'm having a problem trusting auto-close too. If I am going for an extended period of time; I will use the manual homelink to close. For short trips, I'll trust it but it's kept me hanging a couple of times so I have to figure out if it's homelink or something keeping it from closing due to the garage safety sensor being triggered.

The problem is that the FCC limits power for garage door openers and the homelink transmitter is behind the nosecone, with the hood acting as a shieldl This is why when you are facing the garage door receiver the signal is much stronger. The UHF frequencies used are line-of-sight and don't travel through metal or other dense materials well. One thing you can do is to try to extend the antenna on the garage receiver. Usually it's just a short piece of wire. If you splice on a longer wire it sometimes helps. If you have a 390 mhz receiver, then the best total wire length is about 2 1/2 feet. (full wave monopole)

I did this on my receiver and it fixed all the intermittent problems.

My Tesla seems to have better range than the manufacturer's fobs.

In my limited experience, there are two aspects of a successful Homelink use: (1) what I'll call "activation": small text saying "Auto-[open/close] in XX feet" appears below the place designation (typically "Home") in the Homelink pop-up at the top of the 17" screen; (2) actual opening/closing of the garage door. (1) is required for (2).

So, for example, if you get into the car in your garage, put your foot on the brake and put it in gear, and there's no "activation" indication, you needn't wait to see whether the door will close after you pull out; it won't.

In my limited experience, there are two aspects of a successful Homelink use: (1) what I'll call "activation": small text saying "Auto-[open/close] in XX feet" appears below the place designation (typically "Home") in the Homelink pop-up at the top of the 17" screen; (2) actual opening/closing of the garage door. (1) is required for (2).

So, for example, if you get into the car in your garage, put your foot on the brake and put it in gear, and there's no "activation" indication, you needn't wait to see whether the door will close after you pull out; it won't.

Right so how do you fix that?

Right so how do you fix that?
["That" = no Auto-close on departure]

I wish I knew! I've had it work a few times, but not most of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you turn off the notification from homelink to my iPhone. Annoying and not useful, thanks in advance
I haven't seen any indication on the forums or on my phone of Homelink notifications. Do you mean Summon? If so, tap the triple bar at the top left, then Notifications.

I don't get notified when homelink opens my garage are you sure you mean homelink?

here you go.....

tesla.png