Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What it doesn't do, i don't think is while the car is physically inside the garage it will open and close your garage door. Only as you approach the GPS point and reverse to the GPS point.

It doesn't but it should. Why else put the car in drive/reverse? It's as if the function was specified by a committee and then handed off to an intern. Which is sort of my opinion on anything that's gotten added to the UI.

It is a lack of sophistication. The summon can auto-open to exit, auto-close upon exit and do the same for entry. When driver is inside the car, it is dumb down for the driver to do some work.:frown:

- - - Updated - - -

Actually Cyclone had pointed this out days ago, way back here:
Yes, credit for the discovery was late in coming. Luckily, it is for the right person = Cyclone.

I've been following this thread with interest because from day one my garage never auto-closed when backing out of the garage. I also never got the drop down menu when backing out. So I would manually close the door from the screen. The auto-door always opened the door upon my return. Also, the auto-summon always worked perfectly, closing/opening door and stopping the car, both when taking it out and pulling it back out. What I did do, which seems to have fixed it, is I sat in the car with the garage door closed and summoned the car out using the Fob. Once outside, I summoned the car back inside with the Fob. Now when I want to back out, the drop-down menu appears. But if I use the drop-down menu to raise the garage door, it thinks that I did the skip and will not close the door when I pull it out. The only way I can get it to work perfectly every time is to open the garage door with either the garage door remote or the opener on the wall, then back it out. I think where my problem started was when I was initially experimenting with the summon I may have muddled up the program somehow. By redoing the summon, both in and out, seemed to have reset things.

Model 85

We are having problem with auto close as well. I have to manually open the garage door prior to leaving because I load 3 Standard poodles in the rear through the hatch. When I back out of the garage the door does not close automatically. I've even tried getting in the car with the garage door closed without the dogs and the door does not open after I place the car in reverse. After backing out of the garage the door does not automatically close either. So, for now the door will only open upon arrival....

I've been following this thread with interest because from day one my garage never auto-closed when backing out of the garage. I also never got the drop down menu when backing out. So I would manually close the door from the screen. The auto-door always opened the door upon my return. [.,,]
My experience so far is same as above. I've only had 7.1 on my car a couple days, but so far I've yet to see a drop down with option to skip, nor has the door auto-closed when leaving. Auto open when I get home seems to work fine. Can't comment on the other details re: summoning since I'm in Canada and we don't have that feature

I've obviously misread the release notes for 71 re Homeline: Auto-Open/Close. I did not understand that when you put the car in reverse the car should auto open the garage door when backing out. One can infer from the notes that this is the way that it should function. My garage door will not open when backing out unless I open the door from the manual switch on the wall. Then when I put it in reverse, the drop-down menu appears (Auto-close in 20 ft SKIP). Then I back onto the driveway and the door will close. Everything else seems to work as designed and the summon does auto open/close the door in all cases. But, as said above, it will not open the garage door when manually backing out. As others have alluded in previous posts, it appears that this Auto-Open/Close, although it works properly for some, is half baked for a lot of us.

Edit: Meant to say 7.1 vice 71.

Last edited:
Second day with auto home link and backed out of the garage drop down show will close in 20 feet but it did not. This time the gate opened automatically so I continued backing out into the street and waited a minute or so and neither the garage door or gate would close automatically. Coming home both opened without touching the drop down menu.

I've obviously misread the release notes for 71 re Homeline: Auto-Open/Close. I did not understand that when you put the car in reverse the car should auto open the garage door when backing out. One can infer from the notes that this is the way that it should function. My garage door will not open when backing out unless I open the door from the manual switch on the wall. Then when I put it in reverse, the drop-down menu appears (Auto-close in 20 ft SKIP). Then I back onto the driveway and the door will close. Everything else seems to work as designed and the summon does auto open/close the door in all cases. But, as said above, it will not open the garage door when manually backing out. As others have alluded in previous posts, it appears that this Auto-Open/Close, although it works properly for some, is half baked for a lot of us.

Edit: Meant to say 7.1 vice 71.

What you thought would be the logical thing to expect, as I and other probably have. But I think Captain Obvious was the dev working on this feature, nobody dropped him/her a clue. I hope Tesla is listening.

Wierd. Mine has worked every time. Even with me being in the car , pressing to open and driving out. It counts down to close immediately and closes. Granted I have only been able to use it maybe 10 times since the Wed. download. What really surprises me is that my garage door opener must be at least 20YO and it works. I didn't even have to reset my range or anything. I just turned the feature on. I do live in the country and maybe I don't have as much spurious RF signals as other areas.

The problem I have is that getting into the car with the garage door closed and then hitting the open button on the screen will skip the auto-close function.
Even when opening the garage door with the wall switch, auto-close only functions 60-70% of the time.
Auto-open seems to be more reliable, though.

What I still don't understand is why auto-close works when you enter the garage with Summon, but not when you drive in yourself.
However, when I drive in half way and do the rest with Summon, Homelink will close the garage door.

And RFID won't work, because of the coated windshield. I have to wave my RFID out my Pano roof at work for it to open the gate there.

Wierd. Mine has worked every time. Even with me being in the car , pressing to open and driving out. It counts down to close immediately and closes. Granted I have only been able to use it maybe 10 times since the Wed. download. What really surprises me is that my garage door opener must be at least 20YO and it works. I didn't even have to reset my range or anything. I just turned the feature on. I do live in the country and maybe I don't have as much spurious RF signals as other areas.

Like you, and previously reported, I have ancient LiftMaster openers, but I live in a neighborhood with many nearby homes, business, and such. I've had zero problems with Auto Homelink itself and it took no reprogramming or fiddling to get it to do so. Unlike some, I always open my garage door myself via the wall or from inside MS before I back up, but it closes with proper countdown and opens similarly without any action on my behalf every time. It's been flawless for me and I couldn't be happier with it.

My only anomaly has to do with Summon and Homelink opening the wrong door in a particular situation as reported elsewhere.

Several days of driving in I've encountered yet another scenario that should have already been coded into the feature.

1. If arriving and door is auto-opened, if you start leaving instead of parking, auto-close
2. If parked and drive/reverse is engaged auto-open door. (And everyone kind of assumed this worked and confused everybody when it didn't)
3. Make distance to auto-open/auto-close configureable. They appear to be pre-biased towards longer distance to open, which for many many users is probably the wrong distance.

Would doing these have been so complicated? (Rhetorical question)

Can we open and close the garage door by hitting a button combo on the fob, like the summon feature has? That might help with the problem of the car being the one to open the garage door to get out. If we use the control
By our house door to open the garage door like we always have the auto open and close fails every time.

I don't think so.

Can we open and close the garage door by hitting a button combo on the fob, like the summon feature has? That might help with the problem of the car being the one to open the garage door to get out. If we use the control
By our house door to open the garage door like we always have the auto open and close fails every time.

Several days of driving in I've encountered yet another scenario that should have already been coded into the feature.

1. If arriving and door is auto-opened, if you start leaving instead of parking, auto-close
2. If parked and drive/reverse is engaged auto-open door. (And everyone kind of assumed this worked and confused everybody when it didn't)
3. Make distance to auto-open/auto-close configureable. They appear to be pre-biased towards longer distance to open, which for many many users is probably the wrong distance.

Would doing these have been so complicated? (Rhetorical question)

Definitely those are good suggestions.

Auto open and close work fine for me... multiple days now. Yes, I open the garage door with the wall push button before getting in the car (no change in habits or process from before), back out and it closes, come home it opens. I did reset the auto close location on the first day (a few feet outside the garage) and that is flawless now.

Auto open and close work fine for me... multiple days now. Yes, I open the garage door with the wall push button before getting in the car (no change in habits or process from before), back out and it closes, come home it opens. I did reset the auto close location on the first day (a few feet outside the garage) and that is flawless now.

Yeah me too. I have to say that of all the 7.1 new goodies this is the most useful and my favorite.

Even after resetting the homelink very close to the garage door, I'm still getting no love from auto-close whether i originally open the garage door from the wall switch or from inside the car. Auto-open works reliably. Given all of the comments on this thread this is obviously a feature that Tesla still needs to work on.

I'd suggest that everyone file a "bug report" using the voice command in the car. This should get their attention.

My auto-close just stopped working. Opening the garage from inside the vehicle or the wall button has no effect either way, when earlier opening it from inside the car seemed to enable the auto-close. Not anymore. Now the Homelink drop-down button disappears as I'm backing out and nothing happens. Another fail on Tesla's part. I now have a long list that I'd love to provide to the media because I'm getting sick and tired of Tesla giving us half-baked features that just don't work. I don't now what else to do in order to get Tesla to release stable software that works.