Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah me too. I have to say that of all the 7.1 new goodies this is the most useful and my favorite.
Auto-Homelink is my favorite feature of 7.1 as well.

It seems to work perfectly for me every time and I'm already used to it. It just feels natural to drive up the the house and have the door open automatically now.

I feel for the people who it does not work for consistently though. Hopefully Tesla sorts out the various scenarios soon and makes it work for everyone.

... In a nutshell, what Cyclone figured out is that the car will only send a signal automatically once per time the car has been powered on.

So if you get in your car in your garage, turn it on, and open your garage door to leave, the car is not going to close the garage door for you. On the other hand, assuming it is set up properly and otherwise working, if you either open the garage door using the wall opener, or get in the car and open the garage door using the Homelink button, but do it before you have actually powered the car on, when you pull out of your garage the car very well may close the garage door for you. ...
I think the use of "automatically" in the first sentence might confuse some; per the example in second sentence, the pre-power-on garage door open is not automatic but still suppresses Auto-Close. Further, Auto-Open will work even if there was an Auto-Close since the last power-on. I.e., Tesla has accommodated those of us who occasionally have to hang a U-turn a few blocks from home because of forgetting to bring something.

How about this: Auto-Open or Auto-Close will work only if HomeLink has not been used manually since the car was last powered on.

Edit: I have only one device, a single garage door, programmed for HomeLink. If my proposed rule is correct so far, it may need amendment for multiple devices.

Last edited:
I got auto-close to work for the first time today, following some of the suggestions in this thread - in particular, using the wall-switch to open the garage before getting in the car.

Previously, I would always get in the car first and use the Homelink button on the touchscreen to open the garage. The door would never auto-close for me, however every time I returned home it would auto-open, no problem there.
When driving out of the garage I'd never seen the drop-down Homelink menu with an opportunity to skip.

This time, I opened the garage first using the wall switch. When I put the car in reverse I saw the drop-down for the first time. Interestingly is said the door would close "in 5m" - I thought the drop-down was supposed to be a timed countdown thing (20sec??).
Anyhow after backing far enough down the driveway the door automatically closed. Finally.

One slight difference I noted from suggestions in this thread - I did NOT have to stop/turn off the car before another auto-homelink event would happen. After successfully auto-closing the door, I drove around the block and came back home - the garage then auto-opened. I know this is the reverse case described by Cyclone a few posts above, but I thought I'd mention it - it seems not strictly true that you can have only one auto-homelink event per power cycle.

This time, I opened the garage first using the wall switch. When I put the car in reverse I saw the drop-down for the first time. Interestingly is said the door would close "in 5m" - I thought the drop-down was supposed to be a timed countdown thing (20sec??).
Distance is the measure since you need to be out of the garage to successfully close the door. If you a) sat in the garage in gear waiting for your passenger, or b) didn't clear the door before the time limit; you'd have the door close (or try to close). Most doors have optical sensors to prevent the door from closing if something is between the sensors, but perhaps not all!

Distance is the measure since you need to be out of the garage to successfully close the door. If you a) sat in the garage in gear waiting for your passenger, or b) didn't clear the door before the time limit; you'd have the door close (or try to close). Most doors have optical sensors to prevent the door from closing if something is between the sensors, but perhaps not all!
yeah thanks, I just re-read the manual and it says distance. for some reason I thought I had read/heard a timed dropdown option to skip. I was a little worried about it being timed as I back out of my very tight garage slowly. Enough things to concentrate on without worrying about a countdown timer!

Wierd. Mine has worked every time. Even with me being in the car , pressing to open and driving out. It counts down to close immediately and closes.

Yeah, mine works like that when it works. It is kinda neat to see it count down to open/close. My problem is about half the time all I get is the drop down with the button, but no automatic opening. Ditto backing out. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. No idea why, so I just disabled the feature.

One slight difference I noted from suggestions in this thread - I did NOT have to stop/turn off the car before another auto-homelink event would happen. After successfully auto-closing the door, I drove around the block and came back home - the garage then auto-opened. I know this is the reverse case described by Cyclone a few posts above, but I thought I'd mention it - it seems not strictly true that you can have only one auto-homelink event per power cycle.

Your described condition could be: When you are far enough to loss the geolocation, the Home Link is reset, ready for another command?
As I said up-thread, this is a discovery game.:wink:

Since I have no kid and no pet at home, I raise the garage door obstruction sensor height as a preventive measure to avoid the garage door accidentally closing on my S.

yeah thanks, I just re-read the manual and it says distance. for some reason I thought I had read/heard a timed dropdown option to skip. I was a little worried about it being timed as I back out of my very tight garage slowly. Enough things to concentrate on without worrying about a countdown timer!
I believe the option to *cancel* the door transmission is timed. So if you don't want the door to open or close, you can hit 'cancel' in the dropdown within the countdown period and prevent it from happening.

My auto-close just stopped working. Opening the garage from inside the vehicle or the wall button has no effect either way, when earlier opening it from inside the car seemed to enable the auto-close. Not anymore. Now the Homelink drop-down button disappears as I'm backing out and nothing happens. Another fail on Tesla's part. I now have a long list that I'd love to provide to the media because I'm getting sick and tired of Tesla giving us half-baked features that just don't work. I don't now what else to do in order to get Tesla to release stable software that works.

Have you filed a "bug report" using the voice commands? Emailed Tesla?

- - - Updated - - -

You can bang your head against the wall, say "This is how it should work", and keep struggling with it. Or you can incorporate what Cyclone figured out, which is the way it is actually programmed for now, and where it in fact does matter whether you open the garage door from inside the car or not.

In a nutshell, what Cyclone figured out is that the car will only send a signal automatically once per time the car has been powered on.

So if you get in your car in your garage, turn it on, and open your garage door to leave, the car is not going to close the garage door for you. On the other hand, assuming it is set up properly and otherwise working, if you either open the garage door using the wall opener, or get in the car and open the garage door using the Homelink button, but do it before you have actually powered the car on, when you pull out of your garage the car very well may close the garage door for you. You will know as soon as you power the car on if it will or it won't, as if it will, you will have the Homelink screen up, with the countdown / skip option showing. If that isn't up, the car isn't going to close the garage door for you when you leave.

Do I think this needs tweaking by Tesla? Of course. But when you write above "Why would it matter..." it makes it sound like you think it shouldn't matter, and are unaware of the fact that it has been pretty conclusively determined that for now, due to the way Tesla programmed this, it just does.

Auto-close is not working for me, even observing Cyclone's "one pulse per start" theory. Whether i open the garage with the wall switch or open the garage from inside the car with homelink before i turn the car on, auto-close does not work.

Worked perfectly the first 3 days but this past weekend its been inconsistent, either won't open on arrival or close when leaving. Since my wife is always running late (not sure why) she may rely on auto close & likely drive off before verifying, I am thinking about disabling until its more reliable, the stress & risk of a robbery outweigh the benefits at this point.

I believe the option to *cancel* the door transmission is timed. So if you don't want the door to open or close, you can hit 'cancel' in the dropdown within the countdown period and prevent it from happening.
ok, I see what you mean, thanks.

BTW, I have to say even using the method of first opening the garage door with the wall switch now seems to have inconsistent results (perhaps inconsistent results is the only consistent thing to this whole feature?!?)

Just after posting my report of successfully seeing auto-close work for the first time, I had to go drive somewhere. I followed the same procedure which worked eariler today - opened garage door with wall switch, got in the car, put it in reverse and pulled out of the garage and into the street, and.... nothing. No drop-down saying the door will close in 5m, no auto-close. So much for that... When I returned home later, the door auto-opened, as it has ever since upgrading to 7.1

Your described condition could be: When you are far enough to loss the geolocation, the Home Link is reset, ready for another command?
As I said up-thread, this is a discovery game.:wink:

Reading the comments above, I thought of this too, and also thought of another possibility. If Cyclone is correct about it using the WiFi network to know when it is home, it could be using a disconnection from and reconnection to the WiFi network to reset the automatic Homelink ability.

Question for those who can't get it to work, or for those for whom it works sporadically: how well does the car pick up your home wifi when in your garage?

I ask because if it really is using wifi for some aspect of this, and if connecting to and disconnecting from the wifi plays a role, and if your car frequently has issues with spotty wifi in the garage anyway (as many do) this could all be tied together.

I park in my driveway but am interested in using this feature.

I'm shopping for outdoor LEDs and a remote-controlled power source so I can have backup-assist "landing lights" edging my driveway, which turn ON when I arrive ("Open" command) and OFF either timered or from the "Close" remote signal.
I think I saw one or two indoor switched outlets at Fry's Electronics which might play nice with the HomeLink signals the car can emit.
Would make backing in so much easier, just want to make sure it turns off.

Or does somebody already make a HomeLink friendly turnkey outdoor light effect kit that would switch on a measly 12V circuit?

Reading the comments above, I thought of this too, and also thought of another possibility. If Cyclone is correct about it using the WiFi network to know when it is home, it could be using a disconnection from and reconnection to the WiFi network to reset the automatic Homelink ability.

Question for those who can't get it to work, or for those for whom it works sporadically: how well does the car pick up your home wifi when in your garage?

I ask because if it really is using wifi for some aspect of this, and if connecting to and disconnecting from the wifi plays a role, and if your car frequently has issues with spotty wifi in the garage anyway (as many do) this could all be tied together.
As I mentioned above, auto-close for me seems a bit sporadic. So I wonder if you're on to something here about wifi playing a role...

My car connects to my home wifi ok, athough there is only 1 "bar" in the wifi icon in the screen. not sure what that means as to the actual signal strength. I have a detached single car garage, and my wifi router in the house is probably about 25' away from the driver-side door - you could draw a straight line from router through my house's exterior side door facing the garage and then through the garage and driver's seat to passenger's seat. I know the wifi antenna is in the passenger-side mirror, so add a few feet distance for router to car's wifi antenna.

Just after posting my report of successfully seeing auto-close work for the first time, I had to go drive somewhere. I followed the same procedure which worked eariler today - opened garage door with wall switch, got in the car, put it in reverse and pulled out of the garage and into the street, and.... nothing. No drop-down saying the door will close in 5m, no auto-close. So much for that... When I returned home later, the door auto-opened, as it has ever since upgrading to 7.1
Yes, that's what I've been seeing. Inconsistent behaviour from the car even when your personal routine is identical.

I suppose, never say never, but I have a hard time believing the car would use a wifi signal in preference to GPS. It knows where it is when you get to the garage. It knows how far it's moved into the garage (and odds are that the GPS is still functioning while the garage door is open). It should therefore know where it is when it wakes up. If it didn't save the coordinates when you shut the car down, it would soon get them from the GPS again. However, it might take a while to lock. And likely wouldn't start to lock until the garage door is open. Depending on how far asleep the car was when you got back in, that might determine how long it takes to get a solid positional understanding from the GPS satellites. Maybe we should be looking at whether there is a correlation between the elapsed time from waking the car with the garage door open, to putting it in reverse? I've noted that the auto-close function appears as soon as I select Reverse, if it's going to work. No delay. If it doesn't appear right then, it won't appear. Maybe 'fails' occur when R is selected prior to a solid GPS lock?

I park in my driveway but am interested in using this feature.

I'm shopping for outdoor LEDs and a remote-controlled power source so I can have backup-assist "landing lights" edging my driveway, which turn ON when I arrive ("Open" command) and OFF either timered or from the "Close" remote signal.
I think I saw one or two indoor switched outlets at Fry's Electronics which might play nice with the HomeLink signals the car can emit.
Would make backing in so much easier, just want to make sure it turns off.

Or does somebody already make a HomeLink friendly turnkey outdoor light effect kit that would switch on a measly 12V circuit?
I'm just now beginning to learn about IFTTT (If This Then That - a good Google search!) and how it might work with a connected home. Knowing enough to be dangerous only, I'm wondering if Teslalog.com (developed by @mochouinard - Marc - on this forum) could one day include some IFTTT functionality. If it could, then you could (in theory, if I'm not too messed up) create an IFTTT recipe that would accept notice from teslalog.com that the lights should be switched on. Z-Wave LED's could be used, a Z-Wave wall socket, whatever... and the geo-fencing feature in Teslalog.com would be the trigger. Drive into the defined coordinates and the lights would come on, perhaps with a time delay before automatically shutting off again. With an IFTTT-compatible door controller installed in your garage, you could theoretically do this without using the Homelink in the car at all.