Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Auto Insurance for Model 3 in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B.C. drivers paying up to $1k more per year for insurance than other Canadians: industry

FYI: I just renewed the insurance on my 2014 Hyundai Sonata and I pay $2121.72 for insurance. It went up by about $180 over last year.

That's awful.

Here is the state of insurance in Ontario: Report: Ont. drivers might have overpaid $5B on insurance over five years

And an exerpt from that article...

Report author and economics professor Fred Lazar, of York University’s Schulich School of Business, suggests insurers might have raked in approximately $5 billion in pre-tax income from 2011-2016, including an estimated $1.5 billion in 2016. Those 2016 profits represent an estimated 60 per cent increase over those from 2011, Lazar says.

Wow, I think I'm paying about double that with TDMM... and never been in an accident. Not sure why there's such a huge difference.

I was also quoted a similar (low) rate. About 90/month from certas. I have home and a my wife's car with them, but that only takes about 20-25% off so I would definitely shop around.

As the other poster said, maybe your location has an effect, ie downtown TO or Hamilton, but I'm in Burlington so hardly rural country.

Shop around, it seems many are reporting variability with insurance but with a good record you shouldn't be much more than 100/month it seems (in Ontario...)

I was also quoted a similar (low) rate. About 90/month from certas. I have home and a my wife's car with them, but that only takes about 20-25% off so I would definitely shop around.

As the other poster said, maybe your location has an effect, ie downtown TO or Hamilton, but I'm in Burlington so hardly rural country.

Shop around, it seems many are reporting variability with insurance but with a good record you shouldn't be much more than 100/month it seems (in Ontario...)
Living in London Ontario... when I moved from Toronto to London, price dropped quite a bit... I also got the 0 deductible and "grand touring" solution from them... maybe that's why it's so much?

I'm in York Region with TDMM, My renewal just came in and increased substantially (after already increasing due to the S to 3 changeover).
I'm shopping around now, any recommended insurance companies/brokers etc? Anyone I should stay away from? I did some online quotes and Aviva seems to be coming in competitive.

Also, I've been with TDMM for over 10 years, moving my business to another insurer, am I leaving any loyalty benefits on the table? Any other issues with changing companies?

Thanks

I'm in York Region with TDMM, My renewal just came in and increased substantially (after already increasing due to the S to 3 changeover).
I'm shopping around now, any recommended insurance companies/brokers etc? Anyone I should stay away from? I did some online quotes and Aviva seems to be coming in competitive.

Also, I've been with TDMM for over 10 years, moving my business to another insurer, am I leaving any loyalty benefits on the table? Any other issues with changing companies?

Thanks
Try this website Car insurance quotes in minutes. Compare & Save - Kanetix.ca , I ended up going with Co-operators and gave me a great deal $1305/year.

Thanks

Call Costco insurance broker.

Try this website Car insurance quotes in minutes. Compare & Save - Kanetix.ca , I ended up going with Co-operators and gave me a great deal $1305/year.

Call Costco insurance broker.

Thanks
Is there any disadvantage to changing insurance companies after being with the same one for so long? Am I putting myself at any risk or disadvantage? Is there a hit to credit rating or inaurinsu rating every time you change providers? I just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself over to save a few bucks in the short term.
Also any providers I should avoid/lean towards?

Thanks
Is there any disadvantage to changing insurance companies after being with the same one for so long? Am I putting myself at any risk or disadvantage? Is there a hit to credit rating or inaurinsu rating every time you change providers? I just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself over to save a few bucks in the short term.
Also any providers I should avoid/lean towards?
I don't think you're screwing yourself if you switch. Insurance companies have no loyalty program as you're just another number in their books in my opinion. If one company isn't providing the right price, you bring your business elsewhere. :D

I don't think you're screwing yourself if you switch. Insurance companies have no loyalty program as you're just another number in their books in my opinion. If one company isn't providing the right price, you bring your business elsewhere. :D

Yes. I was with Desjarin four years without a single claim , my premium jumped 30% last year. Because their system says more claim in my living area. I switched and got less premium less deductible .

The best thing is my current insurance company gave almost same price for my Model 3 replacing my Nissan Leaf 2015.