TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Auto Pilot double Lane change

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Sandyno1, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Sandyno1

Sandyno1 New Member

When driving on highway with auto pilot on, tried to change lane with indicator. After changing the first lane without any issue the car tried to change the second lane with indicator still on and would have hit the car in that lane if I would not have been alert to steer it back to the lane. Has anyone else observed this behavior.

2. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

I have tried it earlier and it didn't. Is this happening after last week's update?

3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I don't want to hijack this thread but is it just me or does the AP lane change act like a drunken sailor and just wildly jump to the next lane? The transitions are way to abrupt for me and I am afraid it is going to go through one lane into the next. I make my lane changes easily 3 times slower (ie less violently)

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

if you leave the turn signal on the car will continue to change lanes as long as there are lanes to change into until you turn the signal off

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  5. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

Yup

• Dislike x 1
  6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

i haven't tried that. Does the car pause between lane changes, or just keep on going? I believe that the law in California requires drivers to pause between each lane change.

7. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

That's not true. Page 86 of Owners Manual:
    Note: Auto Lane Change moves Model X one lane at a time. Moving into an additional lane requires you to engage the turn signal a second time when the first lane change is complete.

• Like x 3
  8. loganintx

loganintx Member

Mine have been very smooth and cautious. It's refused twice though. Once it was after a quick rain and road was wet. Maybe too much water on camera/sensors. The other time sunny and dry.

9. chillaban

chillaban Member

Personally I found AP lane changes a bit slower than I usually like them executed.

In my ICE car I'm a bit of an enthusiast leadfoot, and one of my pet peeves is people who take a long time to change lanes by slowly drifting over, as if to soften the blow if they had made a miscalculation....

But to me, the AP lane changes are sensible because they are slower than I would do it, which gives me plenty of comfortable margin to monitor the car's actions and intervene if I wouldn't have attempted the maneuver myself.

10. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

#10 S4WRXTTCS, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    I really wonder if they need to have a preference for this or do they really differ that much in how they handle a lane change.

My Model S does lane changes perfectly, and only one lane. If it did more than one lane my feeling would be that it was confused about the lines.

If I was to grade it I would give it an A. It performs up to expectations

The Lane keeping however deserves a D-

11. kort677

kort677 Active Member

regardless of what the book says, leaving the signal on will cause continued lane changes provided there is a lane to change to.

12. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the AP is the antidote to the lead footed driver, I refer to it a chill driving session versus an aggressive drive.

13. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

@kort677 - my experience is consistent with the owners manual. If I leave the signal on, it beeps.

• Like x 1
  14. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

You have to turn the turn indicator off. Otherwise, it will think you want to change lanes again.
    I usually use the "momentary" setting of the turn indicator (not a full click), hold it then release as soon as the car has moved into the new lane.

15. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

@mspohr - The soft click of the turn signal will not initiate auto lane change.

16. kort677

kort677 Active Member

not quite correct. while if you just tap the signal stalk the car will not change lanes bit is will if you hold the "soft click" down. this is how I do it 98.8% of the time. YMMV

17. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Yes, it will. I do it all the time.

18. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

You read the manual?:eek: May you start a trend.

My daughter just got her license and my Land Cruiser that is older than her. I told her she should review the manual because the tester may ask her about basic controls, like the window defrosters. "Dad, what's a window defroster?" She somehow passed, yet better understands how to use the aux button when she wants to connect her phone to listen to music than silly things like window defrosters. I can't wait until she presses the button that locks the center differential.o_O

• Funny x 1
  19. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

Same here. I wonder if the S and X are programed differently?

20. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

I doubt that this would be different. However, I did test this on my S this morning coming to work and it changed only one lane. I had the turn signal on for at least a mile after it changed one lane and it didn't go into the next lane nor did it beep me. Maybe they took away the beep.

I don't get to drive my X much. It has been commandeered by my SO but maybe over the weekend I will get a chance to try this out.