Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Presenting door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering why sometimes as I walk up to the car it doesn't detect me approaching? It either fails to open at all or it only opens slightly even though there is no car parked next to me. Is any one else having trouble like this?

I was wondering why sometimes as I walk up to the car it doesn't detect me approaching? It either fails to open at all or it only opens slightly even though there is no car parked next to me. Is any one else having trouble like this?
Make sure you walk past the door and stand in front of the fwd for a second. It should open wider to let you in. At least that's how it works for me.

I have a 2016 CPO on order. -
After closer inspection, it appears that I do not have the tech package, but I have AP listed under options.

What am I missing by not having tech package?

I guess I was under the impression that you couldn't have AP without the other.

The Tech Package predates Model X and doesn't exist anymore. What you are looking for is the Premium Upgrades Package in order to get the auto presenting front door. Autopilot is available independently of these options.

I'm curious about experiences with auto-present hitting any neighboring objects. That has always been my concern. Currently, I use it with the double click-unlock function of the fob, but only when I'm close enough to grab the door. Downside to that is that when I'm close enough, the falcon wing door sensor sees me, so the front door opens just slightly ajar (mostly).

I'm considering enabling this but still apprehensive. Am I just overly cautious?

I'm curious about experiences with auto-present hitting any neighboring objects. That has always been my concern. Currently, I use it with the double click-unlock function of the fob, but only when I'm close enough to grab the door. Downside to that is that when I'm close enough, the falcon wing door sensor sees me, so the front door opens just slightly ajar (mostly).

I'm considering enabling this but still apprehensive. Am I just overly cautious?
I use auto-present all the time, even in my garage. The door has never hit anything (crosses fingers).

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman

One day I was picking up my kid from school, I parked at these slanted parking spaces. The driver side FWD is totally clear but the driver door is at the quarter panel of the adjacent car. As you can imagine, when I got to my driver side I saw the driver door opened .5 inch from hitting the other car. Actually it probably did hit it I am not sure. So I've disabled it again since then.

One day I was picking up my kid from school, I parked at these slanted parking spaces. The driver side FWD is totally clear but the driver door is at the quarter panel of the adjacent car. As you can imagine, when I got to my driver side I saw the driver door opened .5 inch from hitting the other car. Actually it probably did hit it I am not sure. So I've disabled it again since then.
I never had the auto presenting door enabled before installing 8.0 due to earlier reports of it opening at inopportune times. Since upgrading, I decided to give it a shot and it has worked flawlessly (door latch issues aside). Remember if you are in a circumstance where you don't want the door to open, you can hit the lock button before approaching the vehicle and it will prevent the door from opening automatically.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman and vandacca
Sometimes when I am loading and unloading kids I just don't have all the instinct / information available to me when a door can be opened/not opened. There are other parents around putting their kids in the car at the same time in the adjacent spots.

I assume you don't have one touch close-all doors enabled? If you do you'd start closing the FWD (if it's opened) when you do that.

Sometimes when I am loading and unloading kids I just don't have all the instinct / information available to me when a door can be opened/not opened. There are other parents around putting their kids in the car at the same time in the adjacent spots.

I assume you don't have one touch close-all doors enabled? If you do you'd start closing the FWD (if it's opened) when you do that.
Good point. I do have it enabled normally but don't carry second row passengers very frequently. In those cases you would need to press the button before opening any doors, which you may easily forget until it's too late.