Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving in heavy rain recently and had to turn the headlights on manually. Clearly it wasn’t dark enough. I suspect the threshold may have changed in a s/w update. Main concern is that without headlights on you have no rear lights - the daytime running lights are pretty bright on the front. Fiddling around in the menu to find the right light button to touch is not what I want to be doing in demanding conditions but of course the voice command “headlights on” is “ command not yet available “.

I was driving in heavy rain recently and had to turn the headlights on manually. Clearly it wasn’t dark enough. I suspect the threshold may have changed in a s/w update. Main concern is that without headlights on you have no rear lights - the daytime running lights are pretty bright on the front. Fiddling around in the menu to find the right light button to touch is not what I want to be doing in demanding conditions but of course the voice command “headlights on” is “ command not yet available “.
There’s an upcoming software update, which is not yet available in the UK, where the notes state auto-headlights will come on when the wipers are on. About time!

Reactions: SalisburySam
That’s good to know. Unfortunately it still won’t put them on in fog!
Fog is an interesting one as the use of headlights in fog is a lot more nuanced. Regular headlights in dense fog can sometimes be a drawback as they can cause glare. Thus why we have fog lights that are aimed downwards towards the road. Any lights are probably better than nothing, though. The main issue is lack of rear visibility in fog if you don’t turn on the rear fog or at least headlights. I’ve always been surprised with only having DRLs to the front.

Indeed. Though I think it’s coming alongside the new auto wipers using all the cameras using the FSD stack? We’ll see when/if it makes it to the UK!
This can't come soon enough IMO.
It's just so unreliable that it feels like I am back in a 20 year old car - having to switch them on and off manually or vary the speed all the time.

I can be following behind a car kicking up spray with the wipers on auto and they never come on.
If I leave them on auto they will randomly kick on in the dry or default to full speed even in the lightest rain at low speed.

I still don't know why they didn't just go for the tried and tested decades old window sensor for this...software solution for the sake of it IMO. But that's Tesla all over - they like to re-invent the wheel for no real reason in some cases. Rest of the car is like "magic" by all accounts, but the needless replacing of already existing solutions like park distance sensors, rain sensors, auto light sensors just seems so bizarre.

What version do we need?
2023.20.8 is running in USA vehicles already

My apologies if this is slightly off-topic, but do the wipers still switch to automatic mode every time I engage AP? And if so, can they be switched off altogether acter engaging AP? I have my windshield treated with Aquapel and 99% of the time I don't want the wipers to do anything. This behaviour is one of the reasons I'm still running 2022.20.8.