Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Turn Signals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ICE has OTA updates? Cool beans!

The update part is what makes getting features like this so exciting and fun. If it were just a feature that started to appear on new cars then there wouldn't be threads like this or the excitement. I think it's a lot of fun.

Sure, some/most changes are small and perhaps silly or frivolous but they add up: sentry mode, dog mode, sentry mode + external camera views in the app, dog mode + sentry mode, dog mode + internal camera views in the app. I think it's really cool that Tesla is trying to significantly improve the existing fleet with free software updates.
Did you notice that I also own a Tesla an I love it ? :)
In my opinion something like automatic turn signals should be in the first model of Tesla because it is a self-evident thing in every vehicle

very important….
i turned on auto turn signal shut off setting but I didn’t save the change to my user profile, so obviously it wasn’t working.
It needs to be saved to your user profile (under your name) and not ”easy entry “.
this was my issue, but the overall functionality seems to be working well the few times I have tried over the last two days.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors and BitJam
Try doing a double lane change, they are smart enough to stay on and only turn off when you settle in the lane.

That's funny because if I do a double lane change, I specifically cancel after reaching the first lane, then re-engage them for the second lane

Not sure what the Automatic Turn Signals are, but I have a download waiting for me, so maybe I'll find out later this afternoon

Did you notice that I also own a Tesla an I love it ? :)
In my opinion something like automatic turn signals should be in the first model of Tesla because it is a self-evident thing in every vehicle
Not sure what you mean as I haven’t been in another car that does this
That's funny because if I do a double lane change, I specifically cancel after reaching the first lane, then re-engage them for the second lane

Not sure what the Automatic Turn Signals are, but I have a download waiting for me, so maybe I'll find out later this afternoon
If set on, the turn signals will automatically turn off after the cars camera detects that you’ve completed a lane change. They stay on if you’re merging into a turn lane

Have had them in the S for over a year, yes they are great. Try doing a double lane change, they are smart enough to stay on and only turn off when you settle in the lane.
How does the double lane change work ? Assuming that means I want to go over two lanes instead of one ? How does the Tesla know I want to go over 2 lanes after moving one lane over and leave the blinker on for the 2nd lane move?

I also agree that the old 3 second lane change was annoying. I always wished it could be lengthen to 5 or 6 seconds instead. But this new turn signal update fixed all that.....for the most part.

How does the double lane change work ? Assuming that means I want to go over two lanes instead of one ? How does the Tesla know I want to go over 2 lanes after moving one lane over and leave the blinker on for the 2nd lane move?
Correct. One must assume it sees the second lane approaching with little or no slow down therefore remains on. If stop in the first lane before entering the second it will not work. This also works well on several lane changes.

The issue I have with this new feature is that now the short push and full push do the same thing. That is just a waste of an input.

I would like to see either the 3 blink feature remain on short push and auto cancel on full push OR auto cancel on short push and blinkers stay on till cancelled with full push.

That said, so far the auto-cancel has been 100% successful for me. Works great and I'm happy with it.

25.3 as well. M3 but I don't see why that should matter.

Was the lane marked with arrows painted on the ground? I'm guessing that was how it figured out when to shut off the blinker.
It matters because 25.2, 25.5 and other versions are out and might have different code running for that.

Yes they have the arrows on the ground, but not right at the entrance to the lane. I’ll have to pay attention at some other turn lanes and see how it behaves.

The issue I have with this new feature is that now the short push and full push do the same thing. That is just a waste of an input.

I would like to see either the 3 blink feature remain on short push and auto cancel on full push OR auto cancel on short push and blinkers stay on till cancelled with full push.

That said, so far the auto-cancel has been 100% successful for me. Works great and I'm happy with it.
Great point. Stay on with full push would be perfect for multiple lane changes

If GPS knows you’ll be making an upcoming then, it’ll keep singable on. For instance, in 300’ I have an upcoming left turn. I change from lane 2 to lane 1 and the signal stays on because the upcoming turn, based on current navigation route, is within 150’ or so. It’s brilliant. Well coded.

I never use gps. After using it again yesterday it seems like it isn't as smart as I first gave it credit for. It seems like it assumes that you are always turning off the street you am currently on and won't auto turn off if you change lanes near an intersection. I had to manually auto cancel it a couple of times when I never turned at the intersection. Oh well. It is still better than the 3 quick blinks it did previously which I felt were too short.

So far, the new auto off turn signals feature is more of a miss than a hit for me. In a short drive the turn signal got turned off prematurely twice. I will try it for a few more days and if it hurts more than it helps then I will disable the feature. No biggie.