Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Typically..when BMW promises something? They typically and historically deliver. In the time that they say they will. (What a NOVEL..idea).

Really hope this one succeeds.
"Why the BMW iX isn't ready for level 3 autonomous driving
BMW promised the iX would have level 3 semi-autonomous tech. But it doesn't.
Back in 2018, BMW showed the iNext concept car and told us when the real thing launched in 2021 it would be ready for 'level 3 autonomous driving'. Well, it has launched, as the iX. But the autonomous driving (AD) remains a mirage."
Why the BMW iX isn't ready for level 3 autonomous driving

... they're behind on announcing it.

Everything else is weird assumptions. Even weirder if you actually watched how advanced a factory GT is compared to whomever is gonna make cars for the other companies you mention that don't own car factories.

Says the fan of the guy who said they will have one million robotaxis with no one in them in 2019.
Now you are telling us how super Uber their 2024 robotaxi is going to be...
07ffe8317a2bf4aa6e305a6649e0df1d.jpg

READ the full paragraph.p

I did.

But unlike you I also understood it

Anyway- as others have asked you, please cite any actual federal regulation at all (or a federal law, or a federal agency that has issued a rule) that prevents Tesla from rolling FSDBeta out to everyone nationwide that owns a Tesla with FSD.

Just name one- city the part of US code, or the published rule in the federal register, etc...

Name it.

Spoiler: You can't. Because there isn't one. Because nothing you've claimed has any factual basis whatsoever.

I posted a direct link to the NHSTA saying it is but you didn't even bother to READ it so STFU.

No, you did not.

Because the NHTSA doesn't say anything like that.

The NHTSA published some SUGGESTIONS FOR THE STATES on how THE STATES might consider regulating this stuff.

The Federal Autonomous Vehicle Policy [B}includes no new rules or regulations[/B]—only guidance—for states.

The NHTSA has zero rules, regulations, or laws, governing self driving.

NONE.

You can tell, because every time someone asks you cite one, you jump up and down and insist there is one without citing it.

Also, here's the head of the federal department the NHTSA operates under telling you you're wrong-

"I think we're going to see very meaningful developments here in the 2020s," Buttigieg said.

Congressional efforts to regulate self-driving cars have been stalled for several years

He thinks they WILL regulate it. Sometime this decade.

Because they don't today you see.

No wonder I'm putting on weight - every time I read TMC there's tons of sugar being thrown about - LOL Can we start using stevia or some alternative form of sweetener? :)

In all seriousness, I think the confusion is something being regulated and something seeking regulatory approval. Examples of the latter include: adding on to your house without regulatory approval in many cities; building a treehouse in your backyard that can look into your neighbors yard; building a device that transmits EM radiation; etc. Most things in society are regulated, but some things require regulatory approval before even being implemented.

SAE L0 - Regulated but does not require regulatory approval
SAE L1 - Regulated but does not require regulatory approval
SAE L2 - Regulated but does not require regulatory approval (on many, but not all, roads/highways/freeways)
SAE L3 thru L6 - Regulated and requires regulatory approval

There has been some miscommunication/misunderstanding/confusion regarding Tesla FSD (with city streets) that it would be a SAE L3 system. Tesla has clarified that it will be a SAE L2 system and likely remain that way for some time. This is likely to avoid regulatory approval.

This is simply not correct at the federal level.

There is no L2 regulation at the federal level whatsoever.
(there IS a standing general order that any car maker whose L2 system is involved in an accident must report it- but that's it. There's nothing about the SYSTEM that is regulated- it's just a reporting requirement on the car maker).

That's it.

Hilariously one of the links iigs posted to support the claim this stuff IS regulated directly debunked that claim- including the director of the NHTSA points out it's not a true claim.

L2 isn't regulated at the state level either in any state I'm aware of- but if you have a state law to cite showing otherwise I'd love to see it.

L3-L5 are regulated at the state level by some but not all US states.

L3-L5 is 100% legal to put on the road right now with no further approval needed in half a dozen US states.

Since folks keep being unclear on this:

there is no federal regulation of self-driving cars.

Some federal lawmakers have been pushing for regulation on self-driving cars for years, but it just hasn’t happened

I did.

But unlike you I also understood it

Anyway- as others have asked you, please cite any actual federal regulation at all (or a federal law, or a federal agency that has issued a rule) that prevents Tesla from rolling FSDBeta out to everyone nationwide that owns a Tesla with FSD.

Just name one- city the part of US code, or the published rule in the federal register, etc...

Name it.

Spoiler: You can't. Because there isn't one. Because nothing you've claimed has any factual basis whatsoever.

No, you did not.

Because the NHTSA doesn't say anything like that.

The NHTSA published some SUGGESTIONS FOR THE STATES on how THE STATES might consider regulating this stuff.

The NHTSA has zero rules, regulations, or laws, governing self driving.

NONE.

You can tell, because every time someone asks you cite one, you jump up and down and insist there is one without citing it.

Also, here's the head of the federal department the NHTSA operates under telling you you're wrong-

He thinks they WILL regulate it. Sometime this decade.

Because they don't today you see.

This is simply not correct at the federal level.

There is no L2 regulation at the federal level whatsoever.
(there IS a standing general order that any car maker whose L2 system is involved in an accident must report it- but that's it. There's nothing about the SYSTEM that is regulated- it's just a reporting requirement on the car maker).

That's it.

Hilariously one of the links iigs posted to support the claim this stuff IS regulated directly debunked that claim- including the director of the NHTSA points out it's not a true claim.

L2 isn't regulated at the state level either in any state I'm aware of- but if you have a state law to cite showing otherwise I'd love to see it.

L3-L5 are regulated at the state level by some but not all US states.

L3-L5 is 100% legal to put on the road right now with no further approval needed in half a dozen US states.

Since folks keep being unclear on this:

I don't care about federal regulation, I live in California where it is regulated. We're on the same page here, quit arguing. FFS Knight, sometimes you make agreeing with you and supporting your position painful. If I say 1 + 2 = 3, you'll tell me I'm wrong and that it's (4 - 1) = (1 + 1) + 1. :p

Part of of the permit process will be self-certification that the AVs are safer than humans and that the safety drivers will take over in case of a failure:
I think that should be the minimum standard for any hands off AVs.

Is it a one line self-certification or do they have to furnish some stats ? I hope they need to furnish evidence .... not just a one line self-certification.

Is it a one line self-certification or do they have to furnish some stats ? I hope they need to furnish evidence .... not just a one line self-certification.

You can check out the official NY DMV application website here:

It is unclear what stats they need to provide but they do need to provide a report on demonstrations and tests:
You must agree to submit your report on demonstrations or tests, undertaken pursuant to a DMV permit,

The AV must also comply with all Federal standards and New York State inspection standards and have a $5M insurance policy. The safety driver must have a valid driver's license and be prepared to take over when required to ensure safe and lawful operation of the vehicle. Safety drivers must be adequately trained. The AV company must also provide a law enforcement interaction plan.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Also, would make sense to require a significant amount of money on an escrow account in case the self-certification turns out to be false. Say, $10M of damages paid to State for serious at-fault accident that proves self-certification wrong - in addition to normal consequences.

Reactions: diplomat33

"Eventually I see a market where car manufacturers sell more premium cars for a clientele who can afford this (and they'll be much more expensive than now). The masses will have few choices but robotaxis. This could be 15 years from now.... or maybe 10. It really depends on how fast FSD L4 becomes a reality."

"Eventually I see a market where car manufacturers sell more premium cars for a clientele who can afford this (and they'll be much more expensive than now). The masses will have few choices but robotaxis. This could be 15 years from now.... or maybe 10. It really depends on how fast FSD L4 becomes a reality."

It is a fascinating topic to think about. I do think that the transition to robotaxis will be very gradual over many years. They will likely start in urban areas. But it will likely take time to expand to all urban areas. While that happens, there will be areas, especially outside of urban areas that won't have access yet to robotaxis. Also, we see people that still drive 20-30 year vehicles. People are likely to hold on to their vehicles even when robotaxis are ubiquitous and only give up their vehicle when the vehicle is no longer driveable. There will also be people who are afraid of robotaxis because the tech is new. And there will be people who simply like to drive themselves and don't want a robotaxi. Eventually, could we be in a situation where robotaxis are so cheap and so widely available that nobody feels the need to own a vehicle? Perhaps, that could take decades for the reasons I mentioned above.

I would definitely switch to using a robotaxi full-time if one was available in my area and if it was affordable and convenient (low wait time). The question would be if the robotaxi could go to areas that I need to go to. If not, I would likely keep a personal car for those longer trips. But if the robotaxi could go everywhere that I typically go, I would ditch a personal car.

Reactions: voyager and Dewg
I am sure it will increase over time. Since they are crowdsourcing the data from vehicles with the Nvidia Hyperion Architecture, the more vehicles that are equipped with the architecture, the faster they will expand the map coverage.
Hyperion 8 will ship in new Mercedes in 2024 and Jaquars in 2025. That should increase the mapping data input. However, a lot of their mapping comes from survey vehicles, like Waymo and Google Maps use.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33