Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread in a nutshell:

1686227746400.png

There’s no way someone who’s been on U.S. roads for even a handful of years can’t see that cops are called for even the mildest of accidents because people are convinced that a police report is necessary for insurance claims, and only a small fraction of those actually have airbags deployed.
This is plain wrong. Depends on state - I'm surprised you don't know this.

You are still not understanding that NHTSA repot is not a statistically valid sample of all accidents.

Reactions: willow_hiller
How old are you? Do you even have a drivers license? There’s no way someone who’s been on U.S. roads for even a handful of years can’t see that cops are called for even the mildest of accidents because people are convinced that a police report is necessary for insurance claims, and only a small fraction of those actually have airbags deployed. If it was based on fire or ambulance dispatch? Maybe.
These are Tesla fans you are dealing with. They will argue anything that might not put Tesla on a pedestal.
I have had 3 accidents (1 my fault due to black ice), zero airbag deployment and all 3 had police report.
The case is the same with every single person I know. The rate of police report vs airbag deployment is minimal 10x+.
What nonsense. From above 1 in 3 NHTSA reported accidents have airbags deployed.
Nope. The facts are pretty clear and they are completely Black and White.
The estimated number of police-reported crashes in 2019 is 6.76 million.
An insurance study found that around 500k airbags are deployed each year.
That's way more than 10x.

The 1% statement comes from comparison with Waymo/Cruise DMV reporting.
Neither of the below accidents counts towards Tesla's stats. Cruise & Waymo however has to report every single contact no matter how minor or small it is. Compared to Waymo, Tesla accounts for less than 1%.

Again, according to Tesla's own methodology, Waymo driverless service has ZERO, 0, Nil collisions/accidents.

Nope. The facts are pretty clear and they are completely Black and White.
The estimated number of police-reported crashes in 2019 is 6.76 million.
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/813266 An insurance study found that around 500k airbags are deployed each year.
That's way more than 10x.
Hey why are you not apologizing for your lies ? Man up and apologize.

It is stupid to think all states report equally to police. They all have different requirements. Tesla is very unevenly distributed. On the west coast it is highly unlikely to report to police unless the crash is severe. Even then, if there is no third party involved there will not be a police report. It is even possible that there are fewer cases reported to police than Tesla is counting because of telematics.

Ofcourse, ideally Tesla should compare their airbag deployed numbers to airbag deployed numbers in the general population. But that is not available.

The 1% statement comes from comparison with Waymo/Cruise DMV reporting.
Those are not comparable. I've been saying this for years - Cruise specifically takes their standards for comparison from Virginia Tech study I've posted umpteen times. If only you stop lying and look up my posts, you will know.

This is your big fat lie for which I want you to apologize.

1686242956001.png

Proof it is a big fat lie.

1686242832597.png

Is that a straight up copy of model 3 ?
This is an SUV... Looks like the Lotus Eletre or Polestar 3 if anything. Nothing like the M3.

It has 3 Lidars, 6 mmW radars, 13 cameras and 12 USS, if I remember correctly. This has 10x compute over Teslas FSD computer. MSRP in China for the AWD top trim is 420000 RMB or <60kUSD.

Last edited:
How is this stupid thing allowed to operate ?

If this was a Tesla robotaxi they'd be calling for Elon's head.
This video clip of a Cruise stopped in front of a road construction closure is only a few seconds long. Yes, the car should not get stuck and should choose another direction automatically and reroute. They need to get better.

However, in my experience, situations like this are usually resolved in less than a minute. The car automatically calls home and a remote operator responds within 15-30 seconds to redirect the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
This video clip of a Cruise stopped in front of a road construction closure is only a few seconds long. Yes, the car should not get stuck and should choose another direction automatically and reroute. They need to get better.

However, in my experience, situations like this are usually resolved in less than a minute. The car automatically calls home and a remote operator responds within 15-30 seconds to redirect the car.
But clearly this is happening quite frequently (90 calls to 911 about stuck robotaxis in last 3/4 months. That is about 3 daily). That tells me robotaxis are not ready for driverless and need a safety driver at present. That is what SF is also saying - but the robotaxi companies have "bought off" state regulators who are imposing their will on SF. If SF had a say these robotaxis would not be allowed without safety drivers on the road at present.

In another, a firefighter smashed the window of a Cruise vehicle to stop it from edging into an emergency scene.

Moreover, Cruise in particular has strongly promoted their safety record, but based upon the data that we have available, it appears that a Cruise vehicle is 6.3 times more dangerous than a human driver at this stage.

I would argue that Cruise and Waymo have met the requirements for a learner's permit, but they have not yet met the minimum requirements that a human driver would face for an actual driver's license.

We're eager to partner with them to help them advance their technology to the point where they are exceeding the safety record of human drivers. They are, however, a long way away from achieving that goal.

Aside: Cool that they have Vehicle to Grid where they know the countdown of the traffic lights even. Obviously a function of their environment/tech_avail.

Also - how come none of these YouTubers have experienced Tesla to tell us how it compares.
I've watched a variety of video from 3-4 companies in several non-USA cities. I've driven with Tesla FSDb for quite a while now and it is far far below the smoothness can capabilities of what I see from these other companies. It really is rough in so many spots. I was stuck behind a street sweep a couple days ago when there was another lane it could have gone in ... and it just stayed there. And the constant picking of the wrong lanes fairly close to when it needs to turn. So many awkward turns.

I'm anxiously looking forward to Tesla testing in these other non-USA cities. Why is it not? These other cars are legally able to. I think it is because how far behind Tesla would look by comparison. 3 steps forward and 2 steps back regularly. You can't trust new OTAs to continually build on what they did great before.

Even this one clearly demonstrate what I absolutely would NOT trust Tesla FSDb to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff N
I've watched a variety of video from 3-4 companies in several non-USA cities. I've driven with Tesla FSDb for quite a while now and it iCans far far below the smoothness can capabilities of what I see from these other companies.
Can't compare what you see on YT with what you experience. Afterall we all thought FSD was smoother after watching YT until we got it ourselves.

That's why we need independent people who can ride and compare on routes not selected by the company.

I saw several XPeng videos for eg. All of them went on the same route - no doubt selected by the company and heavily used and trained for.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Can't compare what you see on YT with what you experience. Afterall we all thought FSD was smoother after watching YT until we got it ourselves.
That's why we need independent people who can ride and compare on routes not selected by the company.
I saw several XPeng videos for eg. All of them went on the same route - no doubt selected by the company and heavily used and trained for.
I'd really like to see Tesla using FSDb in these other countries and complicated cities. FSDb in my drives works decent but it is very clumsy and untrustworthy. It fails pretty regularly even with basic things.

Funny that you should mention XPeng. This just popped up today. Most people know JayInShanghai as a very big Tesla fan. He is apparently impressed with XNGP ADAS.

Last edited:
Reactions: spacecoin
BTW - I guess this is all close to OEM HQ .. not a route/ city selected by the YouTuber.

Also - how come none of these YouTubers have experienced Tesla to tell us how it compares.

There are over 1,000 videos on China's youtube BilliBilli. Why don't you register an account using a temporary phone number so you can watch the videos in HD? Just search for "Huawei 2.0", "Huawei Avita 11", other variations. There are also dozens of comparison videos of AP and NOA and Huawei beats Tesla in every single video.

I had planned on taking videos from BilliBilli and uploading them on Youtube with their respective translations.
But then I thought, why should I have to spoon feed people who don't even want to eat? While risking a copyright strike. The proof is out there.

Take this video for example. Chuck posted a similar video and Tesla fans were going crazy. But its literally nothing.
As I have always said, Tesla lives off of myths and fairy tales.

Yes you can and no we didn't. The only ones who did are Tesla fans who you couldn't convince that FSD Beta won't be L5 in two weeks.
Everyone else who used their logic and reason saw that you couldn't even go 1 mile without it trying to literally kill you. Running into walls, construction, parked cars, going off-road, rear ending cars, debris, driving comfortably on the opposite side of the road, taking left turn infront of oncoming cars, running red lights/stop signs, etc.

All you have to do is go back and watch version 8 and before videos.

It was the most dangerous software ever released in history of mankind. The only people who didn't see that were cheer-leaders.
That's quite the contrast when watching a Huawei NCA video.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: spacecoin