Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot “ upcoming lane change'” notification for freeway exit WAY too early?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

My autopilot starts to bring me off the freeway way too early. Yesterday it started to do the 'upcoming lane change' 3 miles before the exit. The other day, 2.5 miles before the exit (different freeway).

I constantly have to cancel the notification at least 2 times before it gets to around 1-1.5 miles which is a normal time frame.

For context. I'd be in the middle lane of a 3 lane freeway, and it would push me into the slow lane where the traffic was 10-15MPH lower speed, and then would sit there for 2 miles.

Anyone else experience something similar?

What is wrong with just leaving the notification there? It’s just letting you know it’ll be changing lanes within the next couple of minutes.

Even if it decided to make the lane change 3 miles before the exit, assuming your fast lane was traveling at 75mph and the exit lane was at 65mph, it’s only taking you ~20 seconds longer to traverse those last 3 miles. And it minimizes the chance that you’re left forcing your way in closer to the exit.

Have you considered just letting the car worry about it and do its thing?

I don't understand why people want to use automation (driver assist) then complain about everything it does.
PSA - If and when FSD arrives it will prioritize safety over "being the first car off the highway".
Anyone expecting FSD or any automated system to drive aggressively or do things an inconsiderate human would do are not going to be getting what they want.
Basically, get used to sitting in the right lane for an extra mile or two and being a minute or two later.

Personally I would love a navigation mode that prioritized NoA or AP use over journey time. That would be even more important with FSD - prioritize the most relaxing drive :)

What is wrong with just leaving the notification there? It’s just letting you know it’ll be changing lanes within the next couple of minutes.

Even if it decided to make the lane change 3 miles before the exit, assuming your fast lane was traveling at 75mph and the exit lane was at 65mph, it’s only taking you ~20 seconds longer to traverse those last 3 miles. And it minimizes the chance that you’re left forcing your way in closer to the exit.

Have you considered just letting the car worry about it and do its thing?

Thanks. To add some additional context, the car was trying to push me into a lane doing about 45 with three large trucks. Every other lane was doing 65 to 70.

I'll try that same area again and see if it was peculiar to the other road conditions that day.

...'upcoming lane change' 3 miles before the exit...

Prior to this, there were complaints that it changed lane too late because by the time it's near the exit, there's a long line of cars blocking its way to exit and the system dangerously just either ran too slowly or even stopped by trying to cutoff other cars already lined up for exits far ahead.

They complained that's too dangerous.

So, now this complaint is exactly the opposite!

Reactions: APotatoGod
Prior to this, there were complaints that it changed lane too late because by the time it's near the exit, there's a long line of cars blocking its way to exit and the system dangerously just either ran too slowly or even stopped by trying to cutoff other cars already lined up for exits far ahead.

They complained that's too dangerous.

So, now this complaint is exactly the opposite!

My friend who has 2.5 HW actually said that when I asked him.

Reactions: APotatoGod

My autopilot starts to bring me off the freeway way too early. Yesterday it started to do the 'upcoming lane change' 3 miles before the exit. The other day, 2.5 miles before the exit (different freeway).

I constantly have to cancel the notification at least 2 times before it gets to around 1-1.5 miles which is a normal time frame.

For context. I'd be in the middle lane of a 3 lane freeway, and it would push me into the slow lane where the traffic was 10-15MPH lower speed, and then would sit there for 2 miles.

Anyone else experience something similar?

I think it varies. I've also seen NOA wait to less than 1 mile before moving me over.

I actually like if it moves me over early, especially when there is a bit of traffic. I don't want NOA trying to move me over through several lanes of traffic at the last second.

Mine usually starts attempting the last lane change ~1.2 miles from the intended interchange/exit. If it needs to change several lanes, then usually it's ~1 mile per lane change (or less), so 3 lane changes -> typically ~3 miles out, ~2 miles out, ~1 mile out. Not sure if affected by traffic conditions, haven't paid attention to this.

However, if the target lanes are moving too slow, I usually cancel the notifications for as long as it makes sense based on the speed of the lanes, like you.