Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 1.01 coming soon...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. But I'm also really happy they are addressing the "speed at curve" issue. That struck me as the most immediate safety concern with AP, aside from human stupidity.
And I predict when that change is implemented that some owners are going to be upset because their car on AP is taking the curves too slowly for them. Others will like the change. New threads will be started to argue about who is right...

And I predict when that change is implemented that some owners are going to be upset because their car on AP is taking the curves too slowly for them. Others will like the change. New threads will be started to argue about who is right...
I'd rather have people upset their MS is going too slow around a curve then risking smashing into things by accident. Drivers can always retake full control and go faster at anytime they so choose.

I get the feeling that some of these adjustments may result in a little "guess and check" until we find the right balance. Nerds in lab coats tell me that's how science works sometimes. And I'm at a loss to argue with anyone in a lab coat.

I notice the car decides to stay center, or a bit to the left or right of the lane to keep thing a bit safe from nearby car or curb. I've notice that when there is a large semi with trailer and a curb, the car moves within inches of the trailer to get away from the curb. I don't think its seeing the trailer unless I'm near the wheel. Anyone else seeing same?

My experience with this in the last few days puts me squarely in the "upset" camp. It slows down much too much for my taste. I had to turn off the TACC several times for this reason. It was much easier to just drive manually than to try to override TACC when it decided to slow inappropriately. Especially since I couldn't figure out how to predict when it was going to slow and when it was going to keep up to speed.

OTOH, my wife liked it :)

The obvious solution is a parameter on the setting screen somewhere that controls how much it slows. Or at least a way to disable it completely.

But a more serious issue is that it seems to slow down AFTER entering the corner. That is clearly insufficient for preventing a serious accident if the entrance speed is too fast to negotiate the corner. All the current implementation seems to do is make it more comfortable for those who usually drive slowly in the first place.

Autopilot is already the bees knees. I think they should run with this. I'll bet people going on ap test drives are going to have a hard enough time walking away from the car the way it currently is!

I agree. I love AP. I use it almost every time I drive the car. It's changed the way I drive and enjoy my Tesla. I've noticed that my consumption has dropped a ton since getting AP because I let the car handle a lot of driving and I'm not utilizing the P-ness of my car as much any more. To do it again, I doubt I'd by a P.