TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot 1.01 coming soon...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Stoneymonster, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

2. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

Very cool news. I am sure they are getting so much data - they probably will have lots of upgrades.

3. Jool

Jool Member

That's a pretty fast turnaround for an update! Hopefully soon is actually soon and not a couple months from now :wink:

4. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

Fantastic news. Agree, hope "soon" means "soon" and not after Christmas...

5. notAmeenPerson

Could someone define controller smoothness?

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Just a guess but it might mean the steering response is less jerky when it corrects and stays in the lane.

7. RyanT

RyanT Member

Love this company!

8. P85DEE

P85DEE Active Member

As do I.

Plugs right along and making effort to improve the product, despite bull**** from Consumer Reports.

9. yo mama

yo mama Member

The best way to combat the naysayers is to make it work awesome. The is another step in that direction.

10. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

You know, regular software improvements for your car is pretty much worth the price of admission by itself. Christmas (or equivalent) for adults.

11. johnbro23

johnbro23 Member

I got a kick out of this response

@Sonikku_a: @elonmusk Have it check if the user is recording video for YouTube on cell phone and disable autopilot, because they are about to be stupid.

12. yo mama

yo mama Member

Agreed. But I'm also really happy they are addressing the "speed at curve" issue. That struck me as the most immediate safety concern with AP, aside from human stupidity.

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

And I predict when that change is implemented that some owners are going to be upset because their car on AP is taking the curves too slowly for them. Others will like the change. New threads will be started to argue about who is right...

14. yo mama

yo mama Member

I'd rather have people upset their MS is going too slow around a curve then risking smashing into things by accident. Drivers can always retake full control and go faster at anytime they so choose.

I get the feeling that some of these adjustments may result in a little "guess and check" until we find the right balance. Nerds in lab coats tell me that's how science works sometimes. And I'm at a loss to argue with anyone in a lab coat.

15. Jim MacInnes

Jim MacInnes Member

Agreed. I took one of our Michigan legislators for a ride today demonstrating the AP and he thought it was already awesome.

16. RyanT

RyanT Member

Autopilot is already the bees knees. I think they should run with this. I'll bet people going on ap test drives are going to have a hard enough time walking away from the car the way it currently is!

17. FlyingJat

FlyingJat Member

I notice the car decides to stay center, or a bit to the left or right of the lane to keep thing a bit safe from nearby car or curb. I've notice that when there is a large semi with trailer and a curb, the car moves within inches of the trailer to get away from the curb. I don't think its seeing the trailer unless I'm near the wheel. Anyone else seeing same?

18. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

It didn't affect his opposition to Tesla operating in the state, though -- or did it?

19. billarnett

billarnett Member

My experience with this in the last few days puts me squarely in the "upset" camp. It slows down much too much for my taste. I had to turn off the TACC several times for this reason. It was much easier to just drive manually than to try to override TACC when it decided to slow inappropriately. Especially since I couldn't figure out how to predict when it was going to slow and when it was going to keep up to speed.

OTOH, my wife liked it :)

The obvious solution is a parameter on the setting screen somewhere that controls how much it slows. Or at least a way to disable it completely.

But a more serious issue is that it seems to slow down AFTER entering the corner. That is clearly insufficient for preventing a serious accident if the entrance speed is too fast to negotiate the corner. All the current implementation seems to do is make it more comfortable for those who usually drive slowly in the first place.

20. tstafford

tstafford Member

I agree. I love AP. I use it almost every time I drive the car. It's changed the way I drive and enjoy my Tesla. I've noticed that my consumption has dropped a ton since getting AP because I let the car handle a lot of driving and I'm not utilizing the P-ness of my car as much any more. To do it again, I doubt I'd by a P.