Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also think the "Hands on" statement is a CYA.

It's nice to see that the display shows road curvature, and also appears to show the rotation of the steering wheel on the icon.

And I'm almost convinced this IC display is only when autopilot is engaged.

Still think the negative nancies need to reserve judgement until they try it...

Although the circle has more detail than the partial circle we saw before, it doesn't appear to be the right direction as they took the energy graph out of the middle making that particular ui element show even less information. A better compromise (and still a compromise) would have been more detailed tick marks on the other version, and better labelled axis on the graph. More detail ALWAYS trumps less detail.

Elon specifically said in the Q&A during one of the conference calls that Tesla's implementation would not require hands on the wheel at all times and that he thought this was counter to the purpose. I don't recall the exact spot, but I do specifically remember the question and answer.

Multiple times.

I'm not arguing with you guys, but is there a link or any hard evidence?

Though I guess if it truly is hands-on-wheel, they'll do here what they did with all the P85D controversy and have a blog-post that sweeps it under the rug...

Before we all get into horribly negative moods, let's keep in mind that we've seen video of auto steering working without hands on the wheel. The press release sounds like they're just trying to prevent any liability issues.

I'll wait until the actual software is released before passing full judgment, I suggest everyone else do the same :smile:

If Tesla's auto steer requires more than just occasional touching of the wheel to maintain auto steer then this is not what I bought, not what was advertised, and I'll demand my money back. Guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow.
Given that there is already a video showing driving with no hands, I think we can expect driving with no hands.
But, if you don't put your hands on the steering after some X period of time, it will nag you to touch the steering wheel and if you don't, it will gradually slow the car down. (Presumably, at this point it assumes you are dead.)
I think the Mercedes system also has a requirement for "hands on" which some fellow defeated by tying a soda can to the steering wheel and climbing into the back seat while driving down the autobahn... there's a YouTube video somewhere.

Remember that TACC works perfectly fine on city streets (if you're aware of its limitations), even though the manual/release notes say it is for highway use.

TACC/cruise control also works perfectly for me in rain--even fairly heavy rain--even though the release notes/manual say not to use it in those conditions.

More of my thinking as to why "hands on" is CYA.

Elon specifically said in the Q&A during one of the conference calls that Tesla's implementation would not require hands on the wheel at all times and that he thought this was counter to the purpose. I don't recall the exact spot, but I do specifically remember the question and answer.
I can't recall this exact phrase, but let's go with your underlined for now. If he had said it, I would have parsed this as: "It might complain if you don't 'show attention' periodically, but you don't have to glue your hands to the wheel like you would if you were 'manually' steering."

I'm aware that some interpret as you can play poker while driving, but I never had that expectation -- of autopilot. Autonomous is a different matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Better than what we've seen from the betas. Looks like the numbers will highlight as you reach them as well, so that's something.
That's kind of cool, actually.

- - - Updated - - -

More detail ALWAYS trumps less detail.
Not true, because of your word in CAPS.

"Did I tell you about what I had for lunch every day for the past year? And which table I sat at?"

Before we all get into horribly negative moods, let's keep in mind that we've seen video of auto steering working without hands on the wheel. The press release sounds like they're just trying to prevent any liability issues.

I'll wait until the actual software is released before passing full judgment, I suggest everyone else do the same :smile:

Fair enough. So, assuming that they do require us to keep my hand on the wheel, what will it do when I lift it off? Will it raise an alarm? If this is what we've got, I can't see ever using it and I will be quite disappointed.

Not to be negative, but the press release itself is pretty.... underwhelming. It's clearly intended to lower our expectations and it succeeds wildly in that effort.

Fair enough. So, assuming that they do require us to keep my hand on the wheel, what will it do when I lift it off? Will it raise an alarm? If this is what we've got, I can't see ever using it and I will be quite disappointed.

Not to be negative, but the press release itself is pretty.... underwhelming. It's clearly intended to lower our expectations and it succeeds wildly in that effort.

I would approach it in a way that speaks to the logic of having your hands on the wheels at all times. Based on the other logical improvements the Model S has made, would it really make sense for Autopilot to require you to keep both hands on the wheel at all times? What happens when you lift one hand to flick the turn signal? Do the majority of drivers use two hands to drive at all times? Why release a feature that would require a driver to have any hands on the wheel, except to remove liability from the company? If AP ever fails at this early stage, it's going to make Tesla's life VERY difficult with all the legal battles they have to face.

I think it will work similarly to what the Prius Advanced with Tech Package lane keep assist required - occasional steering wheel input. Thus, Elon's statement that you would not need to keep your hands on the wheel all the time is indeed accurate, and I would not be disappointed if autosteer requires occasional response to "are you there??"