Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has had no problem in the past yelling to the world about this feature or that even to the point of over hyping it. Do you think the comment about having your hands on the wheel was a 100% about face on this behavior and now they are being conservative in their statements? They are going to tell us we have to have our hands on the wheel when we do not? Seems odd to me but I'll keep the faith until the install.

I would approach it in a way that speaks to the logic of having your hands on the wheels at all times. Based on the other logical improvements the Model S has made, would it really make sense for Autopilot to require you to keep both hands on the wheel at all times? What happens when you lift one hand to flick the turn signal? Do the majority of drivers use two hands to drive at all times? Why release a feature that would require a driver to have any hands on the wheel, except to remove liability from the company? If AP ever fails at this early stage, it's going to make Tesla's life VERY difficult with all the legal battles they have to face.

I can't imagine it requiring two hands. But some sort of torque sensing could require at least one hand. And that's less convenient than what we have now. Even now, everybody removes their hands from the wheel for short intervals on straightaways.

It sounds like the lawyers won after all. And in a very big way.

And legal experts say the automakers’ positions are most likely correct — that in the absence of specific laws against it, hands-free driving is legal.

“Most states don’t expressly prohibit automated vehicles,” said Bryant Walker Smith, a professor of law and engineering at the University of South Carolina.

But that does not necessarily mean drivers will not face scrutiny.

“It’s not just what’s on the books; it’s what’s enforced,” Mr. Smith said. “If a police officer sees you driving down the road with no hands, he could determine that’s reckless and still give you a ticket. Individual officers have a tremendous amount of discretion.”

Tesla has had no problem in the past yelling to the world about this feature or that even to the point of over hyping it. Do you think the comment about having your hands on the wheel was a 100% about face on this behavior and now they are being conservative in their statements? They are going to tell us we have to have our hands on the wheel when we do not? Seems odd to me but I'll keep the faith until the install.

I think the comments still hold for the Full Release of AP. Since they are calling it BETA, I think they can get away with saying that it's totally still coming, but Tesla requires you to have your hands on the wheel (notice how it's not AP :))

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Model S is designed to to keep getting better over time. The latest software update, 7.0 allows Model S to use its unique combination of cameras, radar, ultrasonic sensors and data to automatically steer down the highway, change lanes, and adjust speed in response to traffic. Once you’ve arrived at your destination, Model S scans for a parking space and parallel parks on your command.
Today’s update increases the driver’s confidence behind the wheel with features to help the car avoid hazards and reduce the driver’s workload. While Model S can’t make traffic disappear, it can make it a lot easier, safer, and more pleasant to endure.
press01_autopilot_dash.jpg

The instrument panel provides a visualization of the road as detected by the car’s sensors, giving drivers the information their car is using for features including lane departure, blind spot detection, speed assist, collision warning, adaptive cruise, and autosteer.Along with the new Autopilot features, the instrument cluster’s new driver-focused design shows the real-time information the car uses to intelligently determine the vehicle's behavior in that moment relative to its surroundings.

Autosteer (Beta)

Autosteer keeps the car in the current lane and engages Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to maintain the car’s speed. Using a variety of measures including steering angle, steering rate and speed to determine the appropriate operation AutoSteer assists the driver on the road, making the driving experience easier.

Tesla requires drivers to remain engaged and aware when Autosteer is enabled. Drivers must keep their handson the steering wheel

press02_autopilot.jpg

Auto Lane Change

Changing lanes when Autosteer is engaged is simple: engage the turn signal and Model S will move itself to the adjacent lane when it’s safe to do so.

Automatic Emergency Steering and Side Collision Warning

Side Collision Warning further enhances Model S’s active safety capabilities by sensing range and alerting drivers to objects, such as cars, that are too close to the side of Model S. When the car detects an object close to itsside, fluid lines will radiate from the Model S image in the Instrument Panel to alert the driver

press03_sensors.jpg

Autopark

Model S can now parallel park itself, eliminating the need for drivers to worry about complex and difficult parking maneuvers. When driving at low speeds around cities, a “P” will appear on the Instrument Panel when the Tesla detects a parking spot. The Autopark guide will appear on the touchscreen along with the rear camera display, and, once activated, Autopark will begin to park itself by controlling steering and vehicle speed.

press04_autopark.jpg

Close