Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot buddy code is changed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the disengagement only happens if you have FSD Beta turned on in the settings.

I have FSD Beta, but it’s disabled in the settings. And I just did a test with Autopilot after getting the 10.69.3.1 update. Long story short: after 10 minutes without touching the steering wheel, all I got was a typical “nag” rather than a forced disengagement.

Full story: I strapped a weight tightly to my steering wheel to simulate a cheat device and drove on the highway with Autopilot engaged without touching the steering wheel. After 10 minutes, I only got a little beep and a small message on the bottom-left of the screen asking me to “Apply slight turning force to steering wheel”. A quick tug on the wheel and the message went away. After another 10 minutes, the same thing happened again. No forced disengagements.

I’ll try another test tomorrow to see if a scroll wheel turn after 9 minutes prevents even the nag.

I did a follow-up test. Not only did adjusting the volume via the steering wheel scroll wheel after 9.5 minutes not prevent the nag, I actually got a forced disengagement got the first time at the 10 minute mark (or so).

Idk why I got a forced disengagement this time and not on my previous test drive, where I went the full 10 minutes without touching the steering wheel twice and only got a “nag” each time. Maybe the software gives you a pass on the first drive where it suspects a cheat device, or it only gives nags on the first two 10-minute intervals and then gives you a strike on the third. 🤷‍♂️

And, just like someone else reported earlier, I got an “FSB Beta Warning” or strike recorded against me, even though I have FSD Beta disabled in the settings and was just using regular Autopilot. So now I’ve only got 4 FSD Beta strikes left.

Maybe tomorrow I’ll try repeating the test but after 9.5 minutes I’ll give the steering wheel a tug instead of just flicking a scroll wheel.

Tesla Motors: Hey every single municipal police, here's a list of people PUTTING WEIGHTS ON THEIR STEERING WHEELS
Police: ok

🤡
Lol. Police care not one bit about a wheel weight, as you know.

95% have no idea about what a wheel weight is. Another 4% don’t care. The less than 1% of cops that know and care? Can’t charge you with anything as the weights are not illegal

I did a follow-up test. Not only did adjusting the volume via the steering wheel scroll wheel after 9.5 minutes not prevent the nag, I actually got a forced disengagement got the first time at the 10 minute mark (or so).

Idk why I got a forced disengagement this time and not on my previous test drive, where I went the full 10 minutes without touching the steering wheel twice and only got a “nag” each time. Maybe the software gives you a pass on the first drive where it suspects a cheat device, or it only gives nags on the first two 10-minute intervals and then gives you a strike on the third. 🤷‍♂️

And, just like someone else reported earlier, I got an “FSB Beta Warning” or strike recorded against me, even though I have FSD Beta disabled in the settings and was just using regular Autopilot. So now I’ve only got 4 FSD Beta strikes left.

Maybe tomorrow I’ll try repeating the test but after 9.5 minutes I’ll give the steering wheel a tug instead of just flicking a scroll wheel.

would a bumpy road cause erratic torque, enough to surpass the threshold that Tesla is looking for? Or even just a single significant bump could reset the timer...

I'm honestly shocked that you're going 10 minutes without touching the wheel at all. I still touch mine every couple minutes even with a weight on. There's been a lot of construction around me on freeways and lines that have been recently moved so I have little to no faith in autopilot making the correct choice on which lines to follow.

I (Firmware Engineer) should team with 1 of our EEs and MEs and design a gadget that attaches to half the circumference of the steering wheel that randomly traverses a weight up/down the wheel perimeter to alter the torque moment. Maybe the movement is spring wound powered, with electronics powered from a coin cell? battery life would probably suck running a weight movement motor. Running a wire from your USB/12V outlets attached to the steering wheel is probably not a good idea - We'll sell it for $1k :) haha

Last edited:
I (Firmware Engineer) should team with 1 of our EEs and MEs and design a gadget that attaches to half the circumference of the steering wheel that randomly traverses up/down the wheel perimeter to alter the torque moment - and sell it for $1k :) haha
Can be done much simpler. Follow the wiring of the steering wheel controls to the passenger footwell area. Add a simple microcontroller (I'm sure there's also a constant 12V line in that area too that can also power the MCU) and have it randomly every couple minutes short the required steering wheel wires that emulate a vol+ and vol- signal. No weight necessary.

I've seen posts that say a constant weight with adjusting the wheel controls still results in a strikeout. Not positive thats true yet, but some have said

I'm not really serious about this, but a weird fun thought exercise :)
Tapping into the steering wheel controls and emulating a vol+/vol- would also clear the hands on nag so this would be a way to circumvent wheel weight detection as there is no wheel weight but still clears nags.

Easy for them to defeat though, make steering wheel scrolls (speed/vol) not valid for clearing nag.
Tesla has always had that ability intentionally enabled for a reason. (As well as the AP/FSD speed changing via scroll wheel option to clearing nags). For years. Doubt they would change it now. Either way, should be a moot point in about 4 weeks as Elon has stated on the record that AP/FSD will not require any touching of the wheel at all by 12/31/2022.

“it will take you from your house to work to a friend’s house to the grocery store without touching the wheel" (c) Elon Musk

and thats supported by Tesla's official video on their website today which clearly shows no hands on wheel while on FSD.

Tesla Self-Driving Demonstration

Last edited:
I'm honestly shocked that you're going 10 minutes without touching the wheel at all. I still touch mine every couple minutes even with a weight on. There's been a lot of construction around me on freeways and lines that have been recently moved so I have little to no faith in autopilot making the correct choice on which lines to follow.
Agreed. It took a lot of discipline and a bit of luck to be able to go the full 10 minutes without intervening.