Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot Buddy now officially banned in USA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But isn’t detecting radar defeats law enforcements attempts to control speeding? The purpose of a speed trap is to catch the offenders (atleast the official version) and improve overall safety on the roads.

How radar detector different from APB in that sense ?

But isn’t detecting radar defeats law enforcements attempts to control speeding? The purpose of a speed trap is to catch the offenders (atleast the official version) and improve overall safety on the roads.

There are other ways to control speeding. The purpose of speed traps is to raise revenue. Radar detectors are merely asset protection mechanisms in that regard.

No jamming is prevention. Detecting merely alerts the driver and they make decisions. Also NHSTA had jurisdiction over traffic devices. See Comma.ai and their failure to directly market their services.

And 5 bids already? WTAF?

P. T. Barnum was right.

If I valued my time even less than I evidently do now, I'd be tempted to create an eBay or Amazon listing thusly:

-----

NAG-B-GONE EXTRA SPECIAL LIMITED DELUXE SIGNATURE EDITION KIT

1 signature bottle of water - extra special limited deluxe, with free chemical leaching!
1 signature fishing weight - extra special limited deluxe, with mandatory lead content!
1 signature orange - extra special limited deluxe, organic, over-ripe and extra squishy!

Every kit is signed by someone of whom you have never heard.

MSRP $49.95.

Quantity discounts, super-affordable licensing and affinity programs available.
Shipping additional and really, really, really slow.
Common sense optional.

-----

The sad thing is, such a listing, as fake as it would clearly be, would probably generate orders. *twitch*

Reactions: brkaus and Pkmmte
Tesla needs to remove the needs for nag defeat device by making their product perform and intended. Actually intended and expected and not as stated by some legalize that contradicts what customers expect and what your market suggest.

Auto steer, means well, it steers for you. I may be the minority of people that expects a device that auto steer with not need me to try to sort of steer it every few seconds. Especially when such product cost $5000.

How happy will you be if you paid $1000 (20% of EAP) for basic cruse control. And 2 months later after delivery, cruise control will disconnect if you don’t lightly tap the gas paddle every 15 seconds? Oh by the way, this feature is called auto-gas and was demo-ed by their head of sales/product/marketing by taking their foot off the gas.

I consider myself a safe autopilot driver, but these new nags are over the top. I have my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel at all times but it still pops up. Its not sensitive enough and its getting to be quite annoying. I sometimes find myself just taking over and driving instead of dealing with autopilot.

At this point I can see how a SAFE driver might want one of these on their steering wheel. Tesla needs to fix their algorithm

I consider myself a safe autopilot driver, but these new nags are over the top. I have my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel at all times but it still pops up. Its not sensitive enough and its getting to be quite annoying. I sometimes find myself just taking over and driving instead of dealing with autopilot.

Hand on bottom.doesn't create torque unless the road curves. Try holding the side of the wheel instead.

• Informative
Reactions: BigTonyTones
Tesla needs to remove the needs for nag defeat device by making their product perform and intended. Actually intended and expected and not as stated by some legalize that contradicts what customers expect and what your market suggest.

Auto steer, means well, it steers for you. I may be the minority of people that expects a device that auto steer with not need me to try to sort of steer it every few seconds. Especially when such product cost $5000.

How happy will you be if you paid $1000 (20% of EAP) for basic cruse control. And 2 months later after delivery, cruise control will disconnect if you don’t lightly tap the gas paddle every 15 seconds? Oh by the way, this feature is called auto-gas and was demo-ed by their head of sales/product/marketing by taking their foot off the gas.

This does illuminate one of the larger issues at hand, certainly. Even today, the E in EAP is wholly silent. We have a well-functioning TACC via AP1, and a TACC that tries hard via AP2. Autosteer has always lagged TACC, and when it's not crossing lane markers (AP2) or occasionally yet consistently steering into medians, it tries hard to function well. But that's it so far - very different from initial claims. And now that it clearly *cannot tell when our hands are in fact on the wheel*, well, that's a problem to say the least.

You forgot to include "Guinness Book World Record Holder" for something completely insignificant, like most pizzas eaten during a full moon.

Love it. As well, how about "As seen on TMC"? Hehe. Yeah... cease and desist letter el numero dos in 3.... 2.... 1....

Of course, the joke's on us if the whole APB thing ends up being a completely non-existent parody product (I neither know nor have heard of a single misguided soul who shelled out money for an APB - or an orange, actually). But the guy sure seemed erstwhile about making a go of it.

About time.
Products like this are the way to make sure things like driver alertness cameras become a legal requirement.

If that was the only outcome it'd be awesome. The reason is any patents regarding it would need to be subject to fair price licensing rather than "we can set any licensing price we want, and don't have to license to anyone". If the data from actual use bears out that the GM Supercruise system is as good as it appears at first blush it'd be at discerning attentive drivers from inattentive drivers it'd be awesome to have out there on every Level 2 system at something approximating reasonable pricing.

If the data doesn't bear it out then I would hope it wouldn't get to that point that it'd not become a regulation. It's not particularly easy to force regulations like that that have no solid data backing.

Tesla could probably defeat a AP buddy like device by checking for very constant torque over long periods of time. So if it detects steady torque over a minute, then it nags and says time out unless torque is changed.

However, I would hope Tesla spend their limited dev resources on making AP actually work and auto-steer without a need for constant steering torque by the driver instead.

Reactions: MIT_S60 and croman
You know, despite the well deserved ridicule, they did accomplish something.

If I released a product that got banned by the NHTSA, I'd be all like "Damn right Muchachos! We disrupted this industry so much we got banned!!"

I just makes me wonder how much they invested on their tooling, trademarks, and patent applications all for naught. Well, not for naught.. they can still be used on a track. Because there are so many people who need to use Autopilot on a track.