Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot bug - Shadow braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mannnnn..... I love autopilot but this thing is freaking me out. This happens almost randomly.

Yesterday morning, on the way to work, car just slammed on a brake while on autopilot. It was a sunny morning and a 18 wheeler was on my right with a big shadow to my side of freeway. I think autopilot engaged brake because of shadow of the truck. Similar situation with freeway overpass shadows. It all seems random. Sometimes it doesn’t react and drive through and some days, it brakes. Luckily, so far, cars behind me slowed down quickly. I am sure they were going WTF, f$%!# Tesla driver.

This bug needs to be fixed before I get rear ended by a big 18 wheeler.

Mannnnn..... I love autopilot but this thing is freaking me out. This happens almost randomly.

Yesterday morning, on the way to work, car just slammed on a brake while on autopilot. It was a sunny morning and a 18 wheeler was on my right with a big shadow to my side of freeway. I think autopilot engaged brake because of shadow of the truck. Similar situation with freeway overpass shadows. It all seems random. Sometimes it doesn’t react and drive through and some days, it brakes. Luckily, so far, cars behind me slowed down quickly. I am sure they were going WTF, f$%!# Tesla driver.

Probably not a factor, but make sure the windshield is clean in front of the cameras.
(as a work around: if it usually happens in the same spot, I believe you can use the accelerator to override AP in that location)

Can you check if the speed limit disappeared when this happened? On I15 car pool lane in San Diego, near Mira Mesa Blvd, the speed limit of 65 disappears and the Autosteer speed limit goes from the 72 (that I had set) to 45mph. I need to watch for that and immediately takeover the throttle to keep up with the speed of traffic, else it would be a dangerous situation.

Can you check if the speed limit disappeared when this happened? On I15 car pool lane in San Diego, near Mira Mesa Blvd, the speed limit of 65 disappears and the Autosteer speed limit goes from the 72 (that I had set) to 45mph. I need to watch for that and immediately takeover the throttle to keep up with the speed of traffic, else it would be a dangerous situation.

It might be related to preset speed limit lock that Tesla puts on. I get same thing near SF Bay Bridge to Berkeley. It reduces speed to 55mph (i think) and won’t let me increase. I would have to turn off EAP if I want to speed up.

It might be related to preset speed limit lock that Tesla puts on. I get same thing near SF Bay Bridge to Berkeley. It reduces speed to 55mph (i think) and won’t let me increase. I would have to turn off EAP if I want to speed up.
Yeah, that sounds similar to what I see here. This is on a a super flat straight stretch car pool lane where people do 80+ all the time, no need to change speed limit, or set lock. This is a dangerous bug. The speed limit is recognized to be 65 within 10 meters, and I can set my cruise speed to 72 immediately.

"Phantom braking" has been around for a long time, from when they gave radar a priority to brake. It's the flip side of better braking for stationary objects. Plenty of threads about it. I don't always see a good reason for it.

I haven't experienced braking due to speed limit errors. I see the speed limit change while on a freeway and crossing a surface street, but the AP keeps my speed constant. Probably wouldn't if I was limited to speed limit + 5 on a normal surface street.

Reactions: GutsyGibbon
Here's an interesting data point for your research How to update nav maps

If you can correlate this issue with the April nav update, and if you can locate your road on OpenStreetMap (OSM) and ascertain that it has no set speed limit, then

1. You will have proven (or made that much more plausible) the assumption that Tesla has switched to OSM for its nav platform.
2. You will be able to correct the issue by setting the speed limit in OSM editor on the roads you drive. If you have trouble getting up and running on OSM, you can have someone with experience set the speed limits for you while you are getting up to speed, no pun intended whatsoever.
3. You can take this to Tesla support as a big fat issue. Actually, you could do that with the data you already have.

SB I-15 at Hillery offramp? Here Google Maps ?
Yeah, this must be it.

I also found another issue with the Nav/map. When I tried to Navigate to Dave & Busters which is directly under I805, it declared "you have reached your destination" on I805, some 100ft up above the actual destination. Thankfully, I am very familiar with the roads here and I knew where it was taking me the moment it asked me to join into I805N. :)

I could not find other threads discussing random braking. Any links? I want to see if people are citing specific road segments.
Yeah, this must be it.

I also found another issue with the Nav/map. When I tried to Navigate to Dave & Busters which is directly under I805, it declared "you have reached your destination" on I805, some 100ft up above the actual destination. Thankfully, I am very familiar with the roads here and I knew where it was taking me the moment it asked me to join into I805N. :)
Will you retest it if I fix it?

The issue with B&N is interesting. It’s fairly easy to explain, but a little harder to excuse. The nav software should know which street B&N is on, but it’s treating it as a dot on a 2-D map. Having placed the dot, it navigates to the nearest road. Which happens to be 100ft above the dot.

The bad routing to B&N should be easy to replicate online. Do you mind sharing the address of B&N and an approximate starting point?

Wonder if Tesla has a bug reporting site. Maybe there is a section on their own forum? Reporting these errors by email may help the company keep a lid on, but is frustrating to the users who don’t know whether their bug report has been accepted and how many other people are having the same issue.

This forum does well to let users explain and corroborate issues among themselves, but Tesla is conspicuously missing from the conversation. Fixing bugs without having to acknowledge them is how every programmer would like to work in his ideal world. I would know.

You can bug report directly from your car - voice activation

I just write them feedback. My wife started noticing the shadow braking recently as well. Before it was overpass breaking but that improved. They usually always ask the time, day, gps location, etc.

You can bug report directly from your car - voice activation

I just write them feedback. My wife started noticing the shadow braking recently as well. Before it was overpass breaking but that improved. They usually always ask the time, day, gps location, etc.
That's cool. That seems the best way to report specific geodata issues, like the one GutsyGibbon or the original poster suspect.

What happens when you voice activate bug report?

Do you have your front bumper wrapped?

There was a report where Tesla SC verified logs and reported the braking was because of the clear plastic wrap on the bumper.
On that car the radar was located behind the bumper.