Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Competitor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brantse

Supporting Member
May 18, 2015
Somerset, PA
George Hotz is racing to get an open source autopilot competitor on the market. Comma.ai claims to have packaged the Tesla Autopilot in a $999 aftermarket device

Very cool stuff. I hope it finally brings us a way to upgrade our classics with AP. The units are supposed to cost $1k + a $24 monthly subscription fee.

I've always thought that if Geohot and Jason (wk057) teamed up to build a car, they could run Tesla out of business.

I have many thoughts on this, most of them negative but here are some top line ones:

1. If this comes to market, which is a big if, and there are problems (which there will be, see items below), this will further damage the roll-out of autonomous vehicles.
2. Integration with arbitrary cars is a huge liability. I'd say possibly insurmountable. Feedback and control systems don't just work wherever they are applied.
3. Installation and registration (i.e. proper location and aiming) issues will be rampant.
4. There is no way this can be extensively qualified and tested as it is a third party add on.
5. George Hotz is a fly-by-the-seat of the pants developer and hacker and I wouldn't trust his code to run my toaster.

Last edited:
Agreed Stoney.
I think most people would not want to pay $1000.00 plus $24.00 per month to have any Warranty on their vehicle Nullified.
Can anyone else hear the insurance adjuster on the phone saying: " your claim has been denied" . ?
Ask an uber driver about that...
I like Hotz, but, he should have chosen to work WITH Musk, IMO . .

Watching that guy give his "presentation" and thinking that he is building something to potentially drive a car for people.....I hope that product never makes it to anywhere near me!!

Too late. It's already driven by you multiple times and you never even knew it! :D

Polished presentation style is over-rated. I like a real person telling me how he sees things without any of the polish and bells and whistles that "practiced" and "professional" presenters use. I feel this gives me a clearer picture of what is being presented. I can't help but like George Hotz. Sure extra intelligent people come off as arrogant and impatient. I can't blame them considering they are constantly dealing with people so much slower and less creative than they are who often don't "get it". It's an extra challenge they need to deal with every day.

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks