Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So basically everything? ;)

ROFL I started to have that thought when I finished writing all that. It all depends on where you're driving. On 17.17.4, I did a 10 hour drive from Chattanooga to DC suburbs, and had to take over maybe 4 or 5 times for a few seconds (other than to exit for charging). It did very well! That 10 hour drive was much less draining because of AP. But try to go around the DC beltway for 10 minutes with HW2 AP and you've got a death wish. 10 minutes feels like 10 hours of hell trying not to crash and burn. It's basically unusable except for brief stretches or at slow speeds.

Reactions: oktane
Yep, here's some footage from video I recorded on a recent road trip. This isn't every instance of the AP2 swerving, either, it's just the ones that I managed to find in the 3+ hours of footage I had before I uploaded :)
The first one could have gotten confused by the tar patches, the second one perhaps by the sun. One that didn't make it into the video the sky was completely overcast and I don't think there were any tar patches, though there were some small puddles.

• Informative
Reactions: zmarty
In the event someone is curious about the aforementioned footage that didn't make it into the public video, I've stuck it in this unlisted video. The conditions seem pretty different than what's in the public video. No, I don't care if you share it, I just made it unlisted because it's even less polished than my other videos ;-)

In the event someone is curious about the aforementioned footage that didn't make it into the public video, I've stuck it in this unlisted video. The conditions seem pretty different than what's in the public video. No, I don't care if you share it, I just made it unlisted because it's even less polished than my other videos ;-)

It's good that you're letting the people know what they are getting into when buying a Tesla. It's an awesome car with no peers, but it's not perfect. AP2 is definitely not ready for prime time yet.

F that is scary.
What bothers me in so many cases is Tesla always says; we looked at the logs and it is operator error.
Every single case, operator error.
The logs always show that the software(car) performed perfectly.
It must be amazing to create software which is so so perfect, nobody else in our history seems to be able to do that but Tesla can.

What if AP swerved while going over a hill and hit a pedestrian? Operator error?
Driver didn't have his hand on the wheel tight enough to override a split second decision by a computer?
I guarantee you, like any other automaker, they will avoid any and all blame as long as possible.
/end rant

You just saved me a video.

I'm currently driving an X75D AP2 loaner, 17.26.92, and I experienced this behavior yesterday. Road and weather conditions were good, late afternoon, no direct sun.

Hill_tops.jpg

• Love
Reactions: oktane
Hmm, this reminds me of the drifting I have noticed when there is an undulation in the road. If the road bulges up and down a bit, the car interpret it as a turn since the camera is mono, not stereoscopic, and thus without a real "sense" of depth. Could that be the explanation?

If the road bulges up and down a bit, the car interpret it as a turn since the camera is mono, not stereoscopic, and thus without a real "sense" of depth. Could that be the explanation?
The explanation is that no road markings are visible - not for the cameras and not for you.

You (human) would expect that the road is straight after the hill top - i.e. no sudden turn. AP doesn't know squat, so it just looses its mind

The explanation is that no road markings are visible - not for the cameras and not for you.

I see the point but I would say the lane markers are visible all the time, just not so far ahead than before. And some of the fails in the unlisted video happens in the bottom of the "hill". So if Ap2 doesn't see those lane markers straight in front, I guess wide angle camera is not active and normal angle camera has some serious blind spots.

Reactions: 1 person
F that is scary.
What bothers me in so many cases is Tesla always says; we looked at the logs and it is operator error.
Every single case, operator error.
The logs always show that the software(car) performed perfectly.
It must be amazing to create software which is so so perfect, nobody else in our history seems to be able to do that but Tesla can.

What if AP swerved while going over a hill and hit a pedestrian? Operator error?
Driver didn't have his hand on the wheel tight enough to override a split second decision by a computer?
I guarantee you, like any other automaker, they will avoid any and all blame as long as possible.
/end rant

The problem here isn’t what the autopilot software can and can’t do... we already know that it’s far from perfect. The problem is people’s perception of what the autopilot software should be able to do. Autopilot is never intended to be fully in control of the car. When autopilot is engaged, as the driver you need to be paying attention to the road and have your hands on the wheel and be ready to override it at any time. If you don’t do that then you are not operating autopilot as it is designed to be used and if there is a crash then it is operator error.

Do we know if the guy in the story had AP1 or AP2?

AP2 seems to get confused even with roadmarkings as happened to me recently...

Had the first "it tried to ruin my car and maybe hurt someone" moment with the AP2 (17.26.76) today. Roadworks caused a freeway to turn and narrow a bit, with a solid white line on both sides of the lane, adjoined by another lane on the left (and beyond that a highway divider, behind which the opposing lanes) and by concrete blocks on the right. No problem with this for AP2, as the markings were clear and the weather was nice enough. Really, the road was clearly marked, the only problem was slightly narrower lanes and no room for error on the sides, so this was not the "road markings lead to a concrete divider" scenario at all.

Suddenly the road has a sort of diagonal, but partial (not fully across the lane) dark line going across the lane, covered in pitch/resin. Probably some remnant of old road markings or covering some cavity on the road or temporary changes made to the road during the work there. The actual roadmarkings on the side continue as usual in bright white, while this diagonal line twists/turns to one side, but again is dark and not a road marking by any standard. There are straight, solid, bright white lines marking the road on both sides of the lane. But this dark line does end under the left-side road marking, so it sort of starts extending from that.

It is sufficient for me to stiffen up expecting the worst - half thinking to myself I've spent too much time on TMC and am now dreading the unnecessary. Until now the only real problems with AP2 had been ghost brakes at overpasses (one bad, many unpleasant) and terrible undivided road performance. It had been pretty good on divided roads (which I was on), as far as following lane markings in good weather go...

But sure enough, AP2 starts turning alongside this sort of diagonal line! Straight towards those concrete blocks lining the lane on the right side! I mean - it stopped following beautiful, solid while lines on both sides of the lane and chose to start following a dark, partial twist in the middle of the lane into concrete obstacles. An absolutely insane decision from the EAP that just shows how limited its ability at the moment is... even if those road markings had not made sense, there was a huge wall of concrete right next to the lane it wanted to turn into, instead of that beautiful free air straight ahead.

It took a very strong twist of the already turning steering wheel on my part to cancel this movement. Everyone else in the car was stratled, though personally I was ready and was reacting, so it was more like adrenaline kicking in on my part.

Later on on the trip it got very confused again when overtaking and wanted to start following a car on the adjacent lane. At that point I just turned it off and drove the rest of the way. It stays off for now.

Other than that, staying within lane was slightly less ping-pongy for me. The overall feel is more aggressive than previous versions, I would not call it silky smooth.

The problem here isn’t what the autopilot software can and can’t do... we already know that it’s far from perfect. The problem is people’s perception of what the autopilot software should be able to do. Autopilot is never intended to be fully in control of the car. When autopilot is engaged, as the driver you need to be paying attention to the road and have your hands on the wheel and be ready to override it at any time. If you don’t do that then you are not operating autopilot as it is designed to be used and if there is a crash then it is operator error.

Frankly, at least when it comes to AP2, the problem is clearly both: both its abilities, but also of course the driver's responsibility.

AP1, for a while at least, was closer to the latter problem only.

The guy in this story may have been on AP1, I'm not sure?

Over the last few months Autopilot 1 has been absolutely reliable for me if you accept it's published limitations. I consider it a finished product not a beta product at this point. This is in spite of not having a single road that doesn't have grade crossings. HW2 is trying to hit a moving target.

Reactions: 1 person