Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those barriers are bad news on AP for two reasons, first you have little time to react if the car swerves towards them, even with a tight grip on the wheel, and second it could cause AP to bias away from the barrier into the adjacent lane.

Reactions: Aieukl378
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but it's exactly things like this that I think will make a true LA-NY 100% Autopilot run essentially impossible. Those were just faint random construction markings, but light enough to fool Otto. That could happen anywhere.

Agreed on both hating to be Debbie, but also recognizing that there are about a billion different scenarios that AP needs to anticipate/decifer on a real time basis. Posters that open with "I would never use AP in a situation where..." need to remember that there are an infinite number of subtle potential problems.

Reactions: Matias
What if Tesla streamed the entire trip live on their website?

How cool wouldn't that be!! 8-camera visual coverage, a couple of interior go pros (one at the driver, one at the IC), full radar, sonar and GPS status --- all live on tesla.com!

Man that would be a killer marketing stunt. I'd be glued to the screen

We’re kind of getting off topic here, but my guess is that Tesla is already making a number of LA to NY runs to see how their technology works and to plot out the best route. I suspect the ‘official’ run will be well publicized and maybe live streamed, but I’m sure that will be far from the first run and far from the first successful run. Tesla wants to make sure it will work and it will be repeatable before they show the world that they can do it.

I also think that even if or when the LA to NY run succeeds it doesn’t mean that FSD will be released to our cars anytime soon. I suspect it will be more of a proof of concept thing and it will still be months (or more likely years) before we can start the car and close our eyes. They will still need time to work out solutions to all of those little one off situations that may come up.

And while I’m speculating here, I also suspect that we will see FSD come in stages. The car will first be able to do things like switch highways or stop and start at traffic lights and stop signs, then maybe it will be able to make turns and navigate along a route, but we will still need to pay attention and keep our hands on the wheel through all of these improvements. Then, once the technology is proven maybe will we be able to let go of the wheel and stop paying attention.

Reactions: tander and EinSV
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but it's exactly things like this that I think will make a true LA-NY 100% Autopilot run essentially impossible. Those were just faint random construction markings, but light enough to fool Otto. That could happen anywhere.

I hate to be a Pollyanna;) but an AP1 car could achieve that run today using AP 95% of the time. I've several 1000 mile runs under my belt and rarely take it out of AP on the highway(of course I understand AP1s limitations and don't do stuff like travel in the right lane etc.) Really isn't too much of a stretch to get close to 100%...just leave New York on a highway and enter LA on a highway. The only tricky part with AP is exiting the highway for SCing.

Reactions: oktane
Yes that 5% piece would certainly require a hella lot of luck.

His statement: “In November or December of this year, we should be able to go all the way from a parking lot in California to a parking lot in New York with no controls touched in the entire journey.”

It could turn into one of those "first time..." contests e.g. first transcontinental flight etc. "First Driverless Car Coast to Coast"

It looks like it saw the old lane markings. Looks like they where doing road construction there or did recently? If you watch carefully, you can see the old road markings heading if to right at the point the car veered right.
My X on 17.17.17 did this when I was entering the Caldecott Tunnel going West a couple weeks ago. Tried to follow the old lane lines that designated the alternating direction travel periods of Bore #2 in the tunnel. It nearly steered me directly into the barrel barriers. Bore #2 is only one direction now permanently and has newer markers for the new direction but the X ignored them. Pretty freaky.

Twice a day, every day, I drive through a 10-15 mile construction zone with lanes jogging back and forth and Jersey walls right next door. While I'm guarded when the walls or other cars are close, AP1 is remarkably good in these situations. Perfect? No. But even in places where you can see the old lane lines that they've partially scraped off, almost always my AP1 car follows the correct lines. When I say "almost always", I think maybe once or twice out of a hundred trips will it choose the wrong lines.

Of course, performance depends on a lot of conditions. In my mind part of operating AP is paying close attention to the conditions it can handle, the conditions that confuse it, and being extra vigilant when you encounter conditions where its performance is questionable.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
I think it's important to point out that there were three things that impacted driving on AP in that situation.

One was the jersey barriers being so close. This isn't where someone wants to use AP as you don't have any time to correct.

Secondly was the old previous lines. The problem with those is they can still be there years after the construction has finished. How is a person supposed to know where a construction zone used to be?

Thirdly is the side spot monitoring of the car. As the software currently stands it doesn't use the side camera to detect if there is a car there. Instead it's only a slightly better side monitoring system than HW1, and it's not very good. It's not very good because it relies on ultrasonic sensors.

You can judge the driver all you want, but the system failed.

I hope the OP emails a link to the video to the autopilot team.

Yeah, right now I have a mental list of things that are dicey (HW2). This is mainly for highway driving, since I don't use AP on local roads. I'm always on alert for these conditions:

1) Anything on the road that could be interpreted as unclear or conflicting lane boundaries. Doesn't actually have to be an actual lane mark. Could be a shadow (think, power line shadow along a road). Could be something spilled on the road.
2) Double yellow lines. Not sure why, but they are sometimes weakly detected as a lane marking even when the marks themselves are good.
3) Trucks or vehicles with a large profile - being behind, passing, or being passed by.
4) Narrow lanes, lanes that split or merge, lanes with cones, poles, or any barriers in or near them. Tunnels and bridges.
5) Approaching and passing under overpasses and large highway signs.
6) Curves that are more than just a gentle curve.
7) Passing exits. I usually want to stay on the highway but sometimes the car doesn't :)
8) Approaching stopped or slowed traffic.
9) Using automatic lane changing. Sometimes AP thinks a car two lanes over is in the lane I'm trying to change into and decides to slow way down.
10) Vehicles cutting you off or merging in heavy traffic - AP may not notice them in time.

Reactions: daktari
Yeah, right now I have a mental list of things that are dicey (HW2). This is mainly for highway driving, since I don't use AP on local roads. I'm always on alert for these conditions:

1) Anything on the road that could be interpreted as unclear or conflicting lane boundaries. Doesn't actually have to be an actual lane mark. Could be a shadow (think, power line shadow along a road). Could be something spilled on the road.
2) Double yellow lines. Not sure why, but they are sometimes weakly detected as a lane marking even when the marks themselves are good.
3) Trucks or vehicles with a large profile - being behind, passing, or being passed by.
4) Narrow lanes, lanes that split or merge, lanes with cones, poles, or any barriers in or near them. Tunnels and bridges.
7) Passing exits. I usually want to stay on the highway but sometimes the car doesn't :)
9) Using automatic lane changing. Sometimes AP thinks a car two lanes over is in the lane I'm trying to change into and decides to slow way down.
10) Vehicles cutting you off or merging in heavy traffic - AP may not notice them in time.
Totally agree with this list, speaking for 17.24.28. To add one, cars further ahead in a different lane in a turn can cause speed reductions.

To elaborate on 2), I also gets trouble when you have a wide yellow strip ,with or without rumble, next to the asphalt edge and fence. Car struggles with the 2 or maybe 3 different "lanes".
1200034522.jpg

Totally agree with your list. Will add two, 11) disturbance from trafic ahead in other lane, in bends. 12) if in a trafic jam at high speed highway, lane markings has so much distance that it will have troubles stayin in lane in 5-15 km/h.

To elaborate on 2) my car also has troubles with huge yellow lines where it does not seem to find the proper edge to follow. Getting too close to the fence. See example (don't mind the burning car).
linjer.PNG

Like I said before, I invite Elon Musk to tie his hands behind his back and sit in the driver seat for the famed New York to LA test drive. I'll even let him borrow my car for it.
The problem, is they are going to drive the car on the exact same route multiple times so it can learn, before ever doing what they say they will. Much like the video that shows "what a Tesla sees," where it drives a guy to work and parks itself, navigating city streets, pedestrians, and the highway. They had to have driven that exact route hundreds of times before making that video, as no car mentioned on this forum has been able to duplicate that kind of precision to date.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Hi All!
Was driving home a couple nights ago on the 5 FWY into Los Angeles with autopilot engaged and my car swerved into the next lane over and almost smashed another car. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have a 2017 p90 HW2 Model X

I'm not surprised . AP works well on highway driving and well delineated main streets. However it fails every time I drive around traffic circle in my community. And last two weeks it seems to move along extreme left of lane on occasion which seems inappropriate and had not happened before. I trust the AP less and less in my tesla 70

So basically everything? ;)