Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AlexHolmes

Jun 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Hi All!
Was driving home a couple nights ago on the 5 FWY into Los Angeles with autopilot engaged and my car swerved into the next lane over and almost smashed another car. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have a 2017 p90 HW2 Model X

• Informative
Reactions: TechVP and Matias

Reciprocity

Feb 27, 2017
Chicagoland
Hi All!
Was driving home a couple nights ago on the 5 FWY into Los Angeles with autopilot engaged and my car swerved into the next lane over and almost smashed another car. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have a 2017 p90 HW2 Model X

It looks like it saw the old lane markings. Looks like they where doing road construction there or did recently? If you watch carefully, you can see the old road markings heading if to right at the point the car veered right.

Todd Burch

Voltage makes me tingle.
Nov 3, 2009
Smithfield, VA
Be ready for that kind of thing.

Incidentally, AP1 was prone to this when it first came out (it would sometimes even track long skid marks as lane lines). While it still happens with AP1, it's gotten a lot better. HW2 will improve the same way.

HankLloydRight

No Roads
Jan 18, 2014
Connecticut
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but it's exactly things like this that I think will make a true LA-NY 100% Autopilot run essentially impossible. Those were just faint random construction markings, but light enough to fool Otto. That could happen anywhere.

Reactions: GSP

oktane

Oct 25, 2016
USA
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but it's exactly things like this that I think will make a true LA-NY 100% Autopilot run essentially impossible. Those were just faint random construction markings, but light enough to fool Otto. That could happen anywhere.

Like I said before, I invite Elon Musk to tie his hands behind his back and sit in the driver seat for the famed New York to LA test drive. I'll even let him borrow my car for it.

Plan B

May 8, 2015
Portland OR
It looks like it saw the old lane markings. Looks like they where doing road construction there or did recently? If you watch carefully, you can see the old road markings heading if to right at the point the car veered right.

Exactly. I would never run AP in a current or former construction zone or where the road has been worked on. AP is not smart enough to know better yet. Videos like this have been posted many times already.

Enginerd

Jun 24, 2017
Savannah, GA
For those drivers who know when specific road markings are going to confuse Autopilot, isn't it kind of fun to see which way the car decides to go (after ensuring no negative consequences, of course)?

Reactions: wesley888
Jan 1, 2015
Norge
It's not weird? People crash at construction sites so often, that some places they paint old markings black.
People following the lines into concrete and tractors.
In the future, kids with toilet paper will make some serious crashes.

Dcr26

Sep 30, 2016
SoCal
were you driving 5 thru norwalk? my ap2 x does the same thing when in the outer most lane next to the crash barrier. it doesnt do it when driving the middle lane

Aieukl378

Closed
Aug 30, 2016
nowhere
I would never use AP in that situation especially with those jersey barriers so close...a little swerve to the left and you would not be happy!

Reading all these "AP Fails" posts here and on Reddit I wonder if Tesla should require AP training as no one seems to read the owners manual or understand what AP is and isn't capable of. AP is awesome and a technological marvel when used properly but I think some owners think it's capable of magic(tho it does seem like it at times) or something.

Last edited:

malcolm

Nov 12, 2006
Reading all these "AP Fails" posts here and on Reddit I wonder if Tesla should require AP training as no one seems to read the owners manual or understand what AP is and isn't capable of.

Apparently there's still a need for The Autopilot Song (click the link in my signature)

Reactions: Aieukl378

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC