Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fun w autosteer. Last night I was on a huge interchange ramp with shoulders that were easily a lane wide on their own. There was no one around, and I was going about 40. I saw the autosteer icon and thought "what the heck? why not?" So I engaged it. It immediately straightened the wheel out so as to drive off the road. I took control. Tried it again and same thing. The next time I'd slowed down to about 30 (still no one around - it was late) and tried it again. By now I was at the tail of ramp so maybe I had the wheel turned 30 degrees. I was right there to take it but let it go, and it pinged off the line then went across the lane and ponged off the other line. It kind of did that until someone did start coming down the ramp, but it was finding the center.

As goofy as the system is with detecting lane lines, etc. it apparently doesn't always drive off the road when it sure feels like it going to. Nevertheless, that was the end of my experimenting with "will my Tesla drive off the road or not?"

In general, there have been several frightening moments, especially when using the auto-steer feature-set is turned on. I drive frequently on the Belt Parkway from Brooklyn to Long Island, and to be very honest, it was very apparent that it was beta-software. I felt rather than reducing driver fatigue, I had to be more vigilant for my own safety. TACC works very well, however, but I still got sudden slowdowns when driving slightly up-hill and the car picked up some type of overhead signage. Fortunately, this was manageable and no cars were behind me.

All of this leads me to my next question. Will the feature-set improve in the HW2 cars on its own, or will it need software updates to improve every time?

Yet another question: Will this mount damage my matte lining in the car if there comes a time it needs to be removed?
Amazon.com: Scosche MAGFMB Magnetic Flush Mount for Mobile Devices: Car Electronics

Thanks so much - I couldn't get an answer elsewhere and since I saw how well-visited this thread is, I figured to ask here.

I got this a few times inside my garage and it disappeared outside. You might also try doing scroll wheel reset of instrument cluster and touchscreen as I believe that's cleared out a lot of people's errors.

Thanks! Will do.
I got it too, but once I drove a little bit, it kinda disappeared.

I went to the SC today in Tysons and they said it was a known issue. They told me that they were advised to drive the car for 60 miles and that had resolved it in some cases. Additionally, they said the engineers in Fremont are aware and working to resolve it.

Sigh, still waiting for an update to get to our car. AP2.0 hardware and nothing but the last update which had no release notes...

From what I understand, firmware 17.3.15 released to AP2 cars yesterday (and today) that didn't get get 17.3.2 last weekend. Someone expressed the theory that these might be cars that didn't complete calibration with the shadow mode firmware, and that made sense to me. There was an Elon tweet in the last couple of days that "There will be a software update this weekend that improves self-calibration ability" - so that may take care of you if you don't get 17.3.15.

Thanks! I'll check to make sure all my cams are clean and do the reset as well. The Tyso SC is close to my office in Tysons, so I'll pop over there in the afternoon if I can't resolve it. Appreciate the tips!
Ive had the same problem since getting the update a week ago. Occasionally seemed to work and the one time I could try autopilot when that stupid message wasn't there it said "auto steer temporarily unavailable". Did some bug reports and talked to Tesal service. Had an appointment this morning but I washed my car before and magically everything works perfectly. I guess my cameras were dirty. Ever since the wash no problems. We had a bunch of rain right after the update so that was my problem with dirty cameras. Oh well.. I'm happy now.

I got my update last night.

Luckily for me, I used TACC and Autosteer for 20 minutes today

My experience was better than most

1. It did leap forward when a car shifted out of my lane, but I expected that. Thanks to you all

2. Once it did something that felt like a car that stalls out. I dunno. Maybe it slammed on brakes and accelerator together? No idea why.

3. My car hugged the left line with every exit! No attempted exits!! Yay!

4. On-ramp confused it twice. It was unsure if it should go to the left, the right, or middle.

Someone described it as a 15 year old with a learners permit. I'd say that's very accurate.

• Informative
Reactions: JoaoD and Ahisaac
Ive had the same problem since getting the update a week ago. Occasionally seemed to work and the one time I could try autopilot when that stupid message wasn't there it said "auto steer temporarily unavailable". Did some bug reports and talked to Tesal service. Had an appointment this morning but I washed my car before and magically everything works perfectly. I guess my cameras were dirty. Ever since the wash no problems. We had a bunch of rain right after the update so that was my problem with dirty cameras. Oh well.. I'm happy now.

Like like "Hermes" is getting a wash tomorrow then!

Thanks! Will do.

I went to the SC today in Tysons and they said it was a known issue. They told me that they were advised to drive the car for 60 miles and that had resolved it in some cases. Additionally, they said the engineers in Fremont are aware and working to resolve it.

Good to know. Looks like we might have to put some mileage into the car for it to learn. Right now I have the a TACC, but a lot of the roads right now it tells me auto-steer is not available.

They need to work on the car detecting cars in the adjacent lanes, up ahead. Is that something within the capability of the current hardware?

I've found on several occasions that while using TACC, if I switch lanes, it looses sight of all cars during the lane change process, starts to surge forward and then it pick up the car in the new lane and then slows down.

TACC is great for me on straight roads, but on the curvy road home it's sudden deceleration going around curves makes it pretty much unusable.

I can't wait to find a road that will let me try out Autopilot.

You should be glad it slowed down for you. For me, it kept the speed up around the bend and almost plowed into the car in front that was coming to a stop at the light

It's almost like riding a bike for the first time. You're scared to death when you first get going but after that, it becomes second nature. Before yesterday, I hadn't used Autopilot since a test drive last April. I was very cautious at first while learning the ropes again. This morning, I felt quite comfortable with TACC was able to use it for nearly my entire drive to work. Autosteer was only available for about one second so I didn't get to use it again. I'm sure I'll find some spots where I enable it this weekend.

Yes, exactly!

Discovered a little surprise this morning. If Tesla maps are like most others, there are various map overlays as you move from one area to another. I noticed that, at certain places, the map would refresh and the AP2 icon would momentarily illuminate and then disappear again within seconds (because it was not an interstate highway). So I drove through the same spot again this morning and immediately engaged AutoSteer when the icon appeared. It worked. And it stayed engaged. I was able to drive several miles with AP2 over the very long Ravenel Bridge in Charleston, an area which usually is disabled because it is not an interstate highway. Just a tip to keep an eye on your AP2 icon. It may pop up in some unusual places and, if you catch it, you can enjoy a nice long ride using AP2.