Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Autopilot Has Been Improving on AP1 Vehicles Too

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an AP1 Model X owner, I didn’t expect Autopilot to evolve much over the last 12 months. Tesla software engineers had their hands full writing code for AP2 vehicles, so I figured Autopilot updates for AP1 vehicles would simply enter a dormant phase. That certainly did not turn out to be the case! While racking up some 30k Autopilot miles over the last 12 months, I experienced a continuing stream of improvements.

First off, the “Hold Steering Wheel” alerts began disappearing on long, straight stretches of divided lane freeways – sometimes for as long a 50 miles at a stretch. But the alerts became more frequent on two-lane highways, and began appearing very frequently in construction zones (triggered by either cones or construction warning signs). They even became somewhat driver-dependent (when fatigued or distracted I would get them much more often). More recently, they now sometimes appear ahead of highway intersections, and when oncoming traffic appears on a two-lane highway.

Camera vision has steadily improved. AP1 originally got tripped up by faded stripes, by glare on wet roads, when driving into the sun, and on rainy nights. Improvements in the camera’s dynamic range have continued to take place, and the software’s ability to discern lane markings through glare, water, and dirt has dramatically improved in the last year. About six months ago, on a rainy late-night freeway trip, I noticed that Autopilot can now track the lane stripes better than I can when there is headlight glare from oncoming traffic.

Autopilot’s early tendency to slow down too much or too abruptly when cornering has also seen big improvement. Originally, the camera would read the recommended cornering speed on a highway or freeway, and Autopilot would reduce the vehicle’s set speed by the difference between the speed limit and the cornering speed. And if it encountered cornering Gs that were too high, it would slow abruptly. The first problem got solved by an update that allows Autopilot to track the cornering speed of actual drivers, allowing it to take precedence over the posted cornering speed. I discovered that tapping the accelerator briefly as Autopilot begins to slow for a corner will override the slowdown, so I played around with that over a curvy 50-mile stretch of freeway. Several weeks later when I driving the same route, Autopilot remembered the corners that had overrides, and maintained its speed setting. More recently, the over-reaction to cornering Gs saw a big improvement. Autopilot is now more willing to corner aggressively (at least on dry roads), and when it does reach its acceleration limit, the reaction is not as abrupt.

Holding an appropriate position within the lane during corners has also gotten a lot better. Starting about a year ago, Autopilot began hugging the inside track as human drivers do through corners (this can sometimes be a bit unnerving if there’s a truck in the next lane over, but on the whole it feels more natural). Autopilot also developed a better grasp on the lane positions of other vehicles during the cornering process, leading to fewer false braking events.

A few weeks ago, another big cornering improvement occurred, allowing Autopilot to handle even sharper corners. I decided to see how good it was on the Reno side of the Mt. Rose Highway, a super-curvy road that climbs 4000 feet over 12 miles. This road has several corners marked at 20 mph, and the posted speed limit is 45 mph. But even when you stick to that limit the cornering G-forces can be relatively high. For several years I’ve tried in vain to train Autopilot on this road, a process that generates dozens of overrides, carries the risk of being pulled over for a sobriety test, and requires a firm grip with two hands on the wheel. So imagine my surprise when Autopilot handled 90% of the course with relative ease. I still go a little slower than I’d like around the 20 mph corners, but so do many other drivers on that road.

AP.jpg
Like other Tesla drivers, I found “Radar 2.0” to be a cool feature. One time coming out of a mountain pass in heavy fog, the car ahead of me remained visible on the dash, even as it got obscured watching through the windshield. I’ve felt more comfortable having a radar-driven emergency braking system, though my wife found the occasional false-braking events to be very annoying. But over the last few months it seemed like the false braking events largely disappeared. At times I wondered if the radar’s emergency braking role had been diminished.

Those concerns were put to rest two weeks ago while I was commuting home on old 395 just south of Reno. Shortly after using Autopilot’s lane-change feature to get around a slow-moving vehicle, Autopilot slowed the vehicle abruptly just as it was returning to the right-hand lane. The lane was clear as far as I could see (at least 250 yards), so I began to override the slowdown by pressing down on the accelerator. Then suddenly, I was seeing a large obstacle that the radar already knew about. An empty 30-foot-long trailer – visually obscured by trees – was lurking just around the bend, and it was blocking the right lane entirely. I had just enough time to swerve into the left lane and miss it. Without Autopilot’s reaction, I might have plowed into it at a relatively high rate of speed. Thank you Tesla software engineers!

Jack Bowers has more than 240,000 Tesla miles driven, including two cross-country trips. He is the publisher of Fidelity Monitor & Insight (a DIY investment newsletter) and an investment strategist for two affiliated advisory firms.

Photo: Mt. Rose Highway/Google Maps

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Bowers must be driving a car from a different Tesla subsidiary than the one who made my 2015 Model S. I get updates frequently, but my car doesn't do half of the things he claims. Despite getting frequent updates, I can see no discernable difference in AP two years and 35,000 miles later than the day I took delivery of the car.

For example, he claims that on straight roads you won't get a message to put your hands on the wheel for as much as 50 miles. WHAT???? On my car, on straight roads I get that message much MORE often than on curvy roads where the system senses the resistance of you having your hand on the wheel. On straight roads, I get the message approximately every 4 or 5 minutes.

Does Jack live in a state where recreational marijuana is now legal?

pdq

Reading these comments I'm wondering what Tesla's engineers are thinking if they would read these as well. It's all about guessing and feeling based upon experience and maybe also what they like to believe the car is capable of. It seems to be more like a religion rather than science. Is it Tesla's policy to leave all in the mist and have them guessing on what has been done? Clear release notes please!

Anecdotal experience.
Speculation.
This forum is full of anecdotal experience and speculation and often degenerates into unfounded attacks on persons and Tesla Motors.
I'm OK with people expressing their opinions (and disagreeing) but I do draw the line at personal attacks. Often people will impugn the motivations of Tesla and others on this forum and I find this repugnant. (The comment above that a person must be on drugs is typical but not the worst of what we see here.)
If you want to express an contrary opinion, fine; just don't stoop to personal attacks.
As far as "clear release notes", I don't think it would help. It's very difficult to explain software improvements without a long dissertation and Tesla follows industry practice by giving a brief summary. Any longer description would just invite more baseless speculation.
As far as AP goes, it's a very complex piece of software individual experiences will differ much like the blind men and the elephant.
Could we please avoid personal attacks and acknowledge that experiences will differ?

I would agree with your braking comment AP1 brakes very late when coming up behind cars stopped at a red light or stop sign. I tend to override and break for my own comfort, and more often with passengers, and then re-engage autopilot as I approach the vehicles in line.
^^This. Also in stop/go traffic, which in Texas at least seems to mean people speed up to 30, then back to zero again in quick succession. As the driver, I have some confidence as my foot is hovering over the brake, but passengers are very nervous, as the car tends to brake hard and late. It also accelerates quickly, so my wish would be for the car to have a 'aggressiveness level' setting (the marketing people can re-name that), where level 1 is Miss Daisy, and level 11 is Fast & Furious. Right now I think it's set to about a 7, I'd rather it be a 4.

I agree with those who say AP1 does not see far enough ahead and thus does not react to slowing traffic until a much harder speed reduction is needed. But I still like having it and find I am learning how to disengage the cruise control when I see the distant slowing, let it slow gradually with region, and then re-engage before we get below 18 MPH so that if we wind up in stop and go traffic, I can relax and let the car do the work.

I also just finished a road trip of about 1500 miles that allowed me to experience the current version of AP1 on some winding roads. I found I was very comfortable letting the car control the speed by simply setting the cruise control at the speed limit and reducing it to 5 MPH above the recommended speed for upcoming curves that you see on the yellow warning signs. A couple of flicks of the cruise knob down or up was all that was needed to take advantage of this very nice feature and reduce the stress of driving. Some, no doubt, would not make that adjustment if they like the feel of going around a curve fast in a car that has great road hugging capability, but my wife very strongly does not like that feel, so I am pleased to be able to please her as easily as AP1 allows. I have to admit, however, that I seldom use the lane-keeping feature because so far I find it is more stressful to worry that the car will not like how I hold the wheel than it is to simply steer while the car controls the speed based on traffic conditions.

Thanks for the nice article, Jack. It is great to hear the impressions of someone who has really put AP1 to the test for so many miles.

^^This. Also in stop/go traffic, which in Texas at least seems to mean people speed up to 30, then back to zero again in quick succession. As the driver, I have some confidence as my foot is hovering over the brake, but passengers are very nervous, as the car tends to brake hard and late. It also accelerates quickly, so my wish would be for the car to have a 'aggressiveness level' setting (the marketing people can re-name that), where level 1 is Miss Daisy, and level 11 is Fast & Furious. Right now I think it's set to about a 7, I'd rather it be a 4.

Which distance setting are you on? I found that the distance settings make a big difference in braking timing and aggressiveness, though I'm still not entirely happy with the high speed approach to stopped cars.

These days I mostly drive on 4, which also means most folks can cut in without forcing me to intervene, since 1 isn't close enough to stop them from trying.

Reactions: EinSV
Which distance setting are you on? I found that the distance settings make a big difference in braking timing and aggressiveness, though I'm still not entirely happy with the high speed approach to stopped cars.

These days I mostly drive on 4, which also means most folks can cut in without forcing me to intervene, since 1 isn't close enough to stop them from trying.
I toggle between 3 & 4, I've not really noticed a difference in terms of the approach to stopped cars, but I'll try it again. Does anyone drive with it set to 1? That's living on the edge. Many drivers in Texas seem to like to drive as close as possible (while playing with their phone, natch), so the late braking increases the risk of a rear-collision.

We have lots of compression-wave traffic jams on freeways here in New England too. I've found that setting the following-distance number to 6 or 7 makes the Model S handle them gracefully, and even help melt them by striving to keep steady speed.

Traffic wave - Wikipedia

We have lots of compression-wave traffic jams on freeways here in New England too. I've found that setting the following-distance number to 6 or 7 makes the Model S handle them gracefully, and even help melt them by striving to keep steady speed.

Traffic wave - Wikipedia
I use 6 or 7 in Bay area traffic and it does help smooth things out. I don't find people cutting in to be a problem and if they do, it avoids sudden braking.

I toggle between 3 & 4, I've not really noticed a difference in terms of the approach to stopped cars, but I'll try it again. Does anyone drive with it set to 1? That's living on the edge. Many drivers in Texas seem to like to drive as close as possible (while playing with their phone, natch), so the late braking increases the risk of a rear-collision.

After a few weeks getting used to AP, I set it to "1" and that felt perfect for a long time as it allowed for some maneuvering in busy commute traffic without feeling too close to other cars. I keep a hand resting on the wheel and eyes on traffic and haven't had any issues.

My impression (which could be wrong) is that "1" became a bit more conservative over time (longer distance between cars). For the past couple weeks I have been using "2" which feels a little more relaxing but am pretty comfortable with either "1" or "2."

My experience mirrors OP I can't speak to all his comments, but I have NEVER had a keep hands on wheel alert. Of course, I always have a hand on the wheel. Lane discipline is excellent, and it stops for stopped cars often before they show on the dash. It gives way to cars merging in. When I first got Autopilot, it drove much more aggressively and abruptly than me, but now it is pretty much on my schedule. It does use the brakes more than I do, but not excessively. I just like to stop on regen.

Reactions: jimmy_d and EinSV
I get no impression that ap1 reads the yellow advisory speed limit signs. I have several on my daily commute where the speed is 40 mph and the advisory speed is 20 mph. The car enters the curves at 40 and then begins to slow as it negotiates the curve. I doesn't make it. It travels into the oncoming lane. If I manually slow the car to the advisory speed, the car has no problem with the curve.

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I do live in a state where recreational marijuana recently became legal (Nevada), but if my perceptions are off the mark you can only blame the beer I drink with dinner. At any rate, here are my thoughts on some of the issues that have been brought up in response to my blog.

I've driven in excess of 50 miles on AP1 with hands close to, but not actually touching, the wheel on the straight stretches of I-84 in eastern Oregon. There were very few other cars on the freeway, which might be a condition for the nagging to disappear.

It's possible that the latest Autopilot updates have eliminated the reading of the yellow cornering speed signs. I haven't noticed Autopilot slowing down on corners lately during my local drives. I-84 in eastern Oregon is also the place where the cornering overrides were remembered.

The recent updates to AP1 and AP2 have indeed brought back a tendency for Autopilot to chase some right-lane exit ramps like my dog used to chase squirrels (this harks back to the early days of AP1). My guess is that the new silky smooth algorithms are not compatible with the previous GPS-dependent weighting system, and the database must be rebuilt. If this is the case, the problem should clear up by the end of summer, as there are probably ten times as many Autopilot beta testers on the road today compared with 2015.

Tesla's speed limit database is clearly an issue. Oregon raised most speed limits 2.5 years ago, but Autopilot still has all the old numbers in its location database. I drive on Oregon's two-lane highway 95 frequently. The old speed limit was 55 mph, the new limit is 70 mph. Autopilot will read a 70 mph sign and let you drive the next 6 miles as high as 75. But then it reverts to the incorrect database speed and you are suddenly restricted to 60 mph, 10 mph below the speed limit. This is more annoying on Highway 95 than other Oregon roads because the 70 mph signs are few and far between. Over the last two years I have complained about the issue to three different service centers and several Tesla engineers, to no avail. I'm guessing there's currently no provision for updating the speed limit database. On a recent trip through Canada I noticed the same problem, but due to a bug in the conversion from km/hr to mph (100 km/hr often turns into 177 mph) you can effectively drive at any speed you want on most two-lane highways there.

Last week I traded in my P90D Model X for a new P100D Model X, mainly for towing range. With 60k miles on the odometer, my useable pack capacity was 75 kWh (down about 7% from when the vehicle was new). The new Model X has useable pack capacity of about 98 kWh, a 30% increase. With 20" tires I should be able the tow the 24' Bowlus trailer 165 miles on level ground at 60 mph, meaning that the only Supercharger gap I can't bridge is the one between Twin Falls and Elko (even without the trailer I could barely make that one last winter). I'm about to try out the added towing range on a solar eclipse excursion starting next week.

As a consequence of the Model X upgrade I'm now on AP2 hardware, so I don't have any way to monitor the impact of future AP1 updates.

Reactions: jimmy_d
As far as "clear release notes", I don't think it would help. It's very difficult to explain software improvements without a long dissertation and Tesla follows industry practice by giving a brief summary. Any longer description would just invite more baseless speculation.

I would add: It is not in Tesla's perceived self-interest to release change logs on qualitative changes. So they IMO just choose not to be open about them.

After all, has Tesla at any time released notes on technical improvements to AP? What they do is make release notes of items that are in their interest: clearly identifiable feature additions.

It has nothing to do IMO with change logs being hard and everything to do with posting only positive change logs (i.e. when a feature addition is done).

The Release Notes we get are part Tesla PR, part User Manual. They are not change logs in the traditional sense of the words.

(Some companies do real change logs that include e.g. bug fix details. Tesla does not. Tesla does not have an open culture about such things.)

I’m glad your getting better response from AP1 updates. I’ve driven about 15,000 total miles on autopilot. My experience is of the other camp, wishing to opt a rollback for 7.x AP1 behavior. It was very predictable, comforting knowing the car would do the exact same thing at the same place, same conditions, no surprises. Not anymore with 8.x. I receive false hold the wheel alerts more frequently now. Since Tesla removed the Audible alert, I have to look away from traffic frequently to see if the car knows my hands are still there. Setting 1 is now randomly so far away, (3- 4 car lengths or more at rush hour speeds) semi’s do cut in front and people honk, or speed around all the time. With AP off, adaptive cruise is much better, has to be software related. With AP on, I find myself pressing the accelerator a lot on certain roads that didn’t need it with adaptive cruise. Especially highways where safe speed is much higher than what Tesla thinks is posted(65 - 85 when car *thinks* it’s 10 or 35). Good example is the variable speed signs on the hov lanes. Regular traffic going 10mph, hov moving 70mph, car gets really confused. Or the service road 10mph sign next to a 70mph highway which causes the car to slam on its breaks in rush hour. Tesla says their system is crowd sourced from all vehicles, must be learning bad behavior from all the crappy drivers around here. the car has become a jerk on the road sometimes. The Tesla is following a car steady pace, and notices a vehicle attempting to cut in, it will actually accelerate to block them like an aggressive driver. 7.x used to stay center lane, 8.x wanders, and then buzzes when it intentionally crossed the line. The cornering behavior is worse, it will steer towards whichever line gets it closer to another car, not the focal point, or away from vehicles as Tesla states it should do. Trailers are worse, as the car has driven across the line on a straight road towards a semi in the next lane several times, and I’ve had to correct it. The behavior is akin to a magnet pulling itself towards other vehicles. It’s jerky, and abrupt pulling, as if the AI wants to cause an accident, not defensive or smooth. So many close calls, my better half yells at me to never use AP when she’s in the car. The unexpected braking is surprising. And yes I have brought the vehicle in for service. The say the car checks out normally, and they refer me to the owners manual for expected behavior. When I logged specific examples and video of deviating from that, all Tesla can say is that the logs show a “noisy” sensor environment. Chasing exit ramps seems to be the same 7.x to 8.x. Somehow, it never learns to stay on the road.

I know this is a long response, but I want to point out, I’m still happy with AP 1. on longer road trips out of my state, AP gets magically better. To the point I ask myself why can’t the cars AP work like this all the time! Something about this specific area drives the car nuts.

I use 6 or 7 in Bay area traffic and it does help smooth things out. I don't find people cutting in to be a problem and if they do, it avoids sudden braking.
I have a several hundred miles of AP1 experience on Southern California freeways in cars that were not mine, and now have over 2K miles experience on my AP2 car on freeways all over California and into Oregon: I always use TACC set at 7. I don't have a problem with cars cutting ahead of me; sometimes they do and the TACC compensates smoothly in that scenario.

Reactions: 1 person
I have a several hundred miles of AP1 experience on Southern California freeways in cars that were not mine, and now have over 2K miles experience on my AP2 car on freeways all over California and into Oregon: I always use TACC set at 7. I don't have a problem with cars cutting ahead of me; sometimes they do and the TACC compensates smoothly in that scenario.
I feel the same way. Maybe it is the aggressiveness of the other drivers in some areas that makes the difference for some people. Maybe it is the aggressiveness of different Tesla drivers. After some limited study, I decided that the people cutting in front rarely got there any faster than I did. It feels like car after car is cutting in front, but actually they rarely stay in the lane where you are for long, so you end up right where you were, behind the same vehicle you started out at. It's just not worth stressing over. Let a-holes be a-holes and don't let them drag you down.

I feel like AP1 is actually getting worse. I just did a 2,500 mile trip and I finally had to turn it off. If I was driving on the outside lane..as one is supposed to do on the long highway stretches...when I came upon an exit or lost the right lane marker (as in an entrance ramp), the car would would pull hard right into the unknown space. Had I not taken over and jerked the car back left, it would have rammed me into the exit sign or off the highway altogether. This happened about 85% of the time I had AP on and was in the right lane. This did not used to happen. It is extremely frustrating and dangerous. How hard is it to program the damn car to hold straight and operate off the line it does have if it loses one. But instead, the car jerks and wobbles around like a ping pong ball. AP was better 2 yrs ago.

Interesting. I did about 8000 miles on autopilot over the last couple of months and found that it holds the right lane pretty well even rolling past exits and passing lane divergences. Of course, it picks a lane when you get a lane split and sometimes it picks a different one than I might prefer, so I do override it from time to time, but I think there was only one case in all those miles where it might have been a dangerous situation without the override. Driving in places like Wyoming and South Dakota I would have more issues than on some west coast highway, which could be road condition or weather, or it could be that there's more Tesla miles on the west coast routes. In any case my experience with AP1 keeps getting better and better. Some of it is probably driver education (me knowing the system better) but it's definitely getting better at things that used to be pretty marginal. Twisty mountain roads are a lot better than a year ago, it's better in rain and it seems better at twilight. Although I do see a lot more braking for signage, slightly out-of-lane trucks, and over passes than I did a year go.

Generally it feels like it's getting better, but it's also become more cautious. I also noticed that whatever prompts the 'hold steering wheel' seems to be changing. It used to feel like it was mostly about periodically checking on the driver, but now I can get a bunch of them in quick succession whenever the driving situation becomes complicated by traffic, changes in visibility, or road conditions. It seems like the system is confirming my attention much more often in situations where it is less confident.