Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla went ahead and announced that the current Model S with the AP hardware does not have enough hardware to support lane keeping and self parallel parking, consider me on the list for class action lawsuit. There is no way you can have advertised a car with the potential capability of performing these actions and then change your mind a year later. Sorry, this isn't the playground. No backsies.

Mobileye management is in New York this week participating in investor conferences & likely meeting with OEM's. CEO was just interviewed on CNBC so there should be lots of info regarding autonomous driving.

So far one slide I found of interest (I don't know if a second radar unit is installed in the rear)
original_42397369.jpg

The CEO has previously stated that Tesla are the first car company to use the EyeQ3 chipset so I'm guessing this is a reference to them. Will be interesting to see how things develop but I believe the autopilot functionality we believe is coming, will be delivered using the existing AP installed technology without the need for upgrades.

I haven't read all 198 pages of this thread, but a large reason for the delays (I believe) is that Apple has been poaching a large number of the AutoPilot engineers (including the head of the program) with signing offers of $250,000 and promises to double their Tesla salary so they could work on the Apple car project.

Apple poaches another Tesla Engineer...

This has been happening as early as February - probably earlier.

A somewhat minor correction, but both the article, and your own post about it indicate the salary bump is 60%, not 100%.

... specifically an AutoPilot engineer.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/21/us-apple-autos-idUSKCN0QQ23420150821

This isn't the first Autopilot engineer Apple has lured away, and maybe one of the reasons it is taking longer than expected for Tesla to roll this out. In general I like Apple products, but I'm resentful of the Tesla brain drain Apple is causing. It's hard to blame the engineers. In February, Elon was reporting that Apple wsa offering his engineers a $250,000 signing bonus and a 60% increase in salary.

Elon Musk reveals how much Apple is offering Tesla employees to jump ship | BGR

- - - Updated - - -

Where did this theory come from the current sensors are not adequate? I seriously doubt Tesla would still be rolling out the same hardware if that were true.

The missing screw!

I don't think that's accurate.

some people have, for months, been questioning whether the delays in autopilot could be due to the fact that Tesla just can't get lane keeping to work with the current hardware. (I'm not one of those people--I'm just pointing this out.)

Also it wouldn't make any sense for the screw to be at the root of this theory, as the screw showed up at the same time as the other AP hardware.

The theory that the screw may make a future retrofit possible, though, I think has some validity.

Even though it is not 100% certain (given we don't have a spy in the Beta program), but presumably the beta testers are testing the new software right now without retrofitting new parts.

Also, I don't know about self parking, but there are other cars that have done lane keeping with similar equipment to the Model S, so I don't think there should be worry there. Tesla may retrofit more hardware for better performance, but I think basic lane keeping functionality should not be an issue with current hardware.

Mobileye management is in New York this week participating in investor conferences & likely meeting with OEM's. CEO was just interviewed on CNBC so there should be lots of info regarding autonomous driving.

So far one slide I found of interest (I don't know if a second radar unit is installed in the rear)
View attachment 93583

I'd love to see the source for this. That last line in particular is extremely interesting. I'm probably wrong, but to me it seems as if it's trying to say that the first use of 360 8-camera fusion will first be seen in a commercial vehicle this year, using 5 EyeQ3 processors. There are only 3 or 4 manufacturers that I know of that are capable of this, one of which being Tesla with the Model X. It would be an astounding feat if true because such technology isn't expected to exist commercially until 2018 at the earliest.

Man this pisses me off. I bought specifically for auto-pilot. I haven't received it. Now my hardware is not "the latest" version of a feature that doesn't even work yet. I know we're early adopters but this is simply abuse, in my opinion.

Don't worry, when the Model X AutoPilot v2.0 comes out, it'll take them... roughly 17 years to enable it, so you're still ahead of the game!

Well, you couldn't slap current owners harder in the face if you wanted to... It's one thing to continuously improve, but at least start by delivering features you promised to current owners first. Hopefully this is just the famous Elon reality distortion field. It's still possible we see a simultanous release for firmware 7.0 on both S and X.

Man this pisses me off. I bought specifically for auto-pilot. I haven't received it. Now my hardware is not "the latest" version of a feature that doesn't even work yet. I know we're early adopters but this is simply abuse, in my opinion.

They Model X will be released a year after the D. Things change and progress. It's possible the 2.0 hardware wasn't even out when your car was designed. So the options were to not include any hardware which means you'd never get autopilot regardless of how late the software is or to include what they had and continue to improve it. You have some of the autopilot features, just not the one everyone is waiting for.