Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Meets a Michigan Tree?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Maybe neither FSD, nor Autopilot nor the woman were driving. We’ll see.
Wow - she claimed it hit a tree and rolled over several times. Tesla has some of the lowest rollover risk ever recorded by safety testing orgs - due, in part, to the heavy batteries lowering the center of gravity. Not saying it didn't happen - I'm just getting out of the way of the Morton's dump truck backing up with a 1-ton salt delivery.

Wow - she claimed it hit a tree and rolled over several times. Tesla has some of the lowest rollover risk ever recorded by safety testing orgs - due, in part, to the heavy batteries lowering the center of gravity. Not saying it didn't happen - I'm just getting out of the way of the Morton's dump truck backing up with a 1-ton salt delivery.
I think it would be pretty obvious at the scene whether the car rolled.

Maybe neither FSD, nor Autopilot nor the woman were driving. We’ll see.

There's a thread today about a smart summon Tesla "crashed directly into the tree, without even slowing down,"

When a driver doesn't drive but lets Tesla do the driving, hitting a tree is not impossible.

Sadly, it’s easy to put the car in cruise control while you think you are putting it in Autopilot or FSD. In cruise control the car does not steer itself and could quickly leave the road.

We will eventually know if that was the issue.

I would like a more obvious screen display of TACC cruise control in use. I think it’s in FSD, but its just TACC and I notice when it starts to miss a turn in the road. It is too easy to overlook.

Sadly, it’s easy to put the car in cruise control while you think you are putting it in Autopilot or FSD. In cruise control the car does not steer itself and could quickly leave the road.

I would like a more obvious screen display of TACC cruise control in use. I think it’s in FSD, but its just TACC and I notice when it starts to miss a turn in the road. It is too easy to overlook.
You don't notice the missing thick blue line?

I have TACC disabled on my MS. I just don't see a point vs. FSD Beta.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow and Thp3
Mode confusion between TACC and AP/FSD is a DESIGN problem. It's 100% on Tesla. If anyone puts it in TACC but thought they got AP, that shows Tesla did not do enough UI testing. You need to account for the distracted driver, kids in back screaming, on the speakerphone with the spouse, dog barking.

Different actions should engage different modes, not using the same stalk and doing single and double taps. I miss the second tap all the time (actually, I do the second tap but mess it up, too quick after the first, or an incomplete tap, not all the way down). Usually catch it when I check the screen to confirm, but sometimes just notice the car drifting. Needs a totally different input method for the different modes.

But I totally believe AP could drive into a tree. Mine tries to all the time at a fork by my house.

Reactions: GalacticHero

This

I'm not in defense of someone blaming A/P but things do happen. With over 200,000 + miles of driving different Tesla models over the years and never having any vehicle accidents, I did hit a curb with our MY. Was I thinking A/P was on, was it only TACC.? I'm not going to speculate.

Complicated by wheel torque canceling AP but not TACC. I wish it would cancel both as it would seem safer to me.
Now that I agree to.
It very well could have been I was putting pressure on the wheel to grab the nag and somewhere A/P was not on but TACC was. The FSD Nag thing is really a nag. I think it's more dangerous and very well could be causing people grief but we just don't hear of it.

I will add, I heard from the collision expert that the car is reparable. They first was concerned that the frame could have been tweaked and according to Tesla, frame work is not allowed and would have been totaled. Their laser alignment system just showed suspension parts that will need to be replaced. Parts are going to take a few months but I'm looking forward getting my MY (ghost) performance back on the road.