Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot needs manual lane change without disengage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I want to feel extra secure about physically pushing a lock button, maybe in a very loud area where you might not hear or see the auto lock execute, I just push the lock button on my phone app. I have to pick up my phone anyway when I exit the car, so this is not inconvenient at all.

There's a simpler way. Just tap your phone to the B pillar, like it was a key card. You don't even need to unlock your phone, it just needs to be on. I do that all the time.. No extra effort, it's almost automatic with muscle memory. Has the added benefit that my car beeps/yells at me if the kids didn't close the door all the way.

There's a simpler way. Just tap your phone to the B pillar, like it was a key card. You don't even need to unlock your phone, it just needs to be on. I do that all the time.. No extra effort, it's almost automatic with muscle memory. Has the added benefit that my car beeps/yells at me if the kids didn't close the door all the way.
Only works with android devices I believe.

Totally agree that the autosteer disengagement, and need to re-engage, when passing is frankly obnoxious. I rented a basic Honda Accord last year, and their version of autosteer w/ TACC resumed after a manual lane change w/ a simple touch of the directional, and a manual lane change. The system then immediately took over, and did not need to be re-engaged. Tesla claims their system is so advanced, but why does a basic rental car have a better system? It would be an easy fix for them. Yet, it would not intrude upon the EAP that they want everyone to pay $6k for.

2021 MYLR

Totally agree that the autosteer disengagement, and need to re-engage, when passing is frankly obnoxious. I rented a basic Honda Accord last year, and their version of autosteer w/ TACC resumed after a manual lane change w/ a simple touch of the directional, and a manual lane change. The system then immediately took over, and did not need to be re-engaged. Tesla claims their system is so advanced, but why does a basic rental car have a better system? It would be an easy fix for them. Yet, it would not intrude upon the EAP that they want everyone to pay $6k for.

2021 MYLR
Tesla provides this option to buy or subscribe. It's called EAP. This has been beaten to death, but AP is free and comes even on the lowest cost Tesla. Most other car companies charge for the comparable ADAS in the form of technology packages, subscriptions, or add-ons.

The basic ADAS that most manufacturers provide is just dumb cruise control, which obviously is inferior to AP.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Tesla provides this option to buy or subscribe. It's called EAP. This has been beaten to death, but AP is free and comes even on the lowest cost Tesla. Most other car companies charge for the comparable ADAS in the form of technology packages, subscriptions, or add-ons.

The basic ADAS that most manufacturers provide is just dumb cruise control, which obviously is inferior to AP.
I think this isn't entirely true. As an n=1 example, our base model Kia Niro EV comes with lane keep assist that functions as it should on any modern car i.e....when you press the turn signal, lane keep assist pauses to allow the manual lane change, then resumes once centered in the new lane. This is basic functionality that most cars now have. It's easy and convenient, and is how Tesla's basic AP should function. Suggesting one should pay $6,000 for EAP in order to exceed this basic, entry level capability is absurd. I say exceed because basic AP should not do automated lane changes as EAP does. Changing lanes is a normal, frequent part of driving. Disengaging and re-engaging lane keep assist every time a manual lane change is made is beyond ridiculous.

Sure - make the suggestion to Tesla. I doubt they will prioritize it, though, because the behavior is to change the lane automatically when you put on the turn signal (with EAP/FSD).
I bet (just doughnuts 🍩 though) Tesla is basically through with any development or enhancements to the legacy AP stack. Probably in the preliminary stages of deciding what features will be offered in basic AP and EAP (if it is still offered) when the new stack is implemented (maybe in less than a year).

Reactions: EVNow
I think this isn't entirely true. As an n=1 example, our base model Kia Niro EV comes with lane keep assist that functions as it should on any modern car i.e....when you press the turn signal, lane keep assist pauses to allow the manual lane change, then resumes once centered in the new lane. This is basic functionality that most cars now have. It's easy and convenient, and is how Tesla's basic AP should function. Suggesting one should pay $6,000 for EAP in order to exceed this basic, entry level capability is absurd. I say exceed because basic AP should not do automated lane changes as EAP does. Changing lanes is a normal, frequent part of driving. Disengaging and re-engaging lane keep assist every time a manual lane change is made is beyond ridiculous.
Again, most cars do not come with those features. Kia/Hyundai are one of the first, but someone posted all the major brands and BMW, Mercedes, Ford, and many others charge extra for anything above cruise either with a fee or combined in an upgraded package. Tesla allows any car these features, but it cost additional.

Again, most cars do not come with those features. Kia/Hyundai are one of the first, but someone posted all the major brands and BMW, Mercedes, Ford, and many others charge extra for anything above cruise either with a fee or combined in an upgraded package. Tesla allows any car these features, but it cost additional.
Those other companies charge far less than what Tesla does for even EAP, and generally the features work better.

Those other companies charge far less than what Tesla does for even EAP, and generally the features work better.

Ford charges $800 per year for Blue cruise. You can't use it off the interstate (or even on all interstates) and won't do automatic lane changes. You have to initiate it, when it's released. If you don't think that additional expanded use and automation are worth an extra $400 per year, that's fine, but how do you define "better"?

We could do the same for every competitor. Super Cruise requires the highest trim level plus $2,500. Is that cheaper? Certainly doesn't have the same access that even AP has which can be used anywhere.

Ford charges $800 per year for Blue cruise. You can't use it off the interstate (or even on all interstates) and won't do automatic lane changes. You have to initiate it, when it's released. If you don't think that additional expanded use and automation are worth an extra $400 per year, that's fine, but how do you define "better"?

We could do the same for every competitor. Super Cruise requires the highest trim level plus $2,500. Is that cheaper? Certainly doesn't have the same access that even AP has which can be used anywhere.
We’ve been repeating this over and over in the last few pages. We’re not taking about the hands free systems like Blue Cruise or Supercruise or comparing to EAP/FSD. We’re not taking about automated lane changes.

We’re talking just basic adaptive cruise control and lane centering. Other automakers simply do it better.

We’ve been repeating this over and over in the last few pages. We’re not taking about the hands free systems like Blue Cruise or Supercruise or comparing to EAP/FSD.

We’re talking just basic adaptive cruise control and lane centering. Other automakers do it better.
I disagree that they do it better than AP. Most are limited to highway and they still charge additionally, outside of Hyundai or Kia. When asked who does it better than AP, people mention Blue Cruise/Super Cruise. It's like people don't understand what they are making comparisons to.

Ford's basic cruise is TACC. We've listed other major manufacturers that have the same...yet, people get confused by the different levels that are offered based on trims or additional pricing.

The Hyundai system is not better than AP. The only benefit is that you can use the turn signal and make a lane change without having to re-engage. It doesn't stay in the lane nearly as well. I typically get a 2023 Sante Fe as my rental.

For a Ford or Chevy to be able to change lanes, you need to purchase their upgraded system like EAP, but neither offer what AP does for free. Tesla is way ahead of anyone else in all facets. People want to compare their top of the line choice with Tesla's base.

Same capabilities on the Subaru Outback.

Reactions: TesslaBull
The only benefit is that you can use the turn signal and make a lane change without having to re-engage.
So you do agree then. Other companies do that better. That’s literally the title of this thread and what we were talking about but you keep coming in with EAP/FSD this and Blue Cruise/Super Cruise that.

We just want to make manual lane changes on Auotpilot without having to disengage and re-engage. Literally every other ADAS system lets you do that. We’re not taking about how well other systems follows curves or what roads you can use them on or any other feature. Just manual lane changes without re-engaging.

So you do agree then. Other companies do that better. That’s literally the title of this thread and what we were talking about but you keep coming in with EAP/FSD this and Blue Cruise/Super Cruise that.

We just want to make manual lane changes on Auotpilot without having to disengage and re-engage. Literally every other ADAS system lets you do that. We’re not taking about how well other systems follows curves or what roads you can use them on or any other feature. Just manual lane changes without re-engaging.
That's from a few companies, not most.

Most companies offer adaptive cruise as their base, we've listed them all and they range from low end to super luxury.

And again, even with that it's a more limited, less capable product than what comes free on Tesla.

That's from a few companies, not most.

Most companies offer adaptive cruise as their base, we've listed them all and they range from low end to super luxury.

And again, even with that it's a more limited, less capable product than what comes free on Tesla.
Kia does it...for example, our *base model* Niro EV.
Hyundai does it....for example, the 55 mpg Ioniq...basically an economy car.
Subaru does it.
Mercedes does it.
Probably others but not worth my time to research any more in depth.

It seems pretty common, and most likely just a reasonably easy software upgrade.

The user friendliness of systems that work this way, vs one that doesn't, is a glaring defect in usability.

For a system that is supposed to make driving more hassle free and relaxing, constantly disengaging and re-engaging AP over and over and over and over with every lane change is a PITA. It really flies in the face of how easy and user friendly Tesla tends to make the entire ownership and driving experience.

Need to drive your car? Just get in and drive. No key. No unlock command. No start button to push. Just get in and drive. Need to stop driving? Just get out and walk away. No need to turn the car off. No key to remember to take with you. No door lock command to worry about.

Auto wipers..mine work great. Washer fluid...my first gallon lasted 5 months because Tesla doesn't spray a quart at a time all over the window and roof of the car. Just a nice efficient spread across the wiper itself. So different, and works so great.

Auto high beam...mine work great, no thought involved, its just automatic.

Leaving for work? Swipe down...navigation. Going home? Swipe down, navigation.

Supercharger integration with the car and navigation. Amazing. Flawless. So much more user friendly than anyone else.

There are soooo many features that just work so simply....

But AP.....engage, disengage, re-engage, disengage, re-engage, over and over and over. Its just dumb.

Last edited:
Base mode Kia Niro EV....allows manual lane change without disengaging lane keep assist. Tesla's AP is inferior on this specific capability.

Kia does it.
Hyundai does it.
Subaru does it.
Mercedes does it.
Tesla doesn't do it.

Not sure what all the pages of argument is here. If that feature is important to you, buy one of the cars on your list above. If you want to keep your Tesla, then upgrade to EAP and you'll have the feature.

The free market allows Tesla to do anything they want, and we, the customers, are free to support or reject their product.

Nothing more needs to be said on the subject.

Reactions: GWord
Tesla doesn't do it.

Not sure what all the pages of argument is here. If that feature is important to you, buy one of the cars on your list above. If you want to keep your Tesla, then upgrade to EAP and you'll have the feature.
No, I won't buy a different car because Tesla doesn't have this basic feature that many others have. What a dumb suggestion. By the same token, I won't tell you to continue to be happy that your car does not have the feature. You can do whatever you want. Believe it or not, people have the right to express their opinion, even when it comes to something that Tesla is behind on. Tesla is supposed to be a leader in driver assist tech. Manually changing lanes without turning AP on and off is just basic, user friendly, commonly offered tech from competitors.

Update. Manufacturers that work as they should( i.e. allow manual lane change without disengaging and re-engaging every time):

Kia does it.
Hyundai does it(2019 , not sure how much earlier).
Subaru does it.
Mercedes does it.
Volkswagen does it....back since at least 2018 according to a post in this thread.
Honda.

It's a very basic, user friendly feature.

Reactions: mspohr