Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot - note to drivers and Consumer Reports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ms. MacCleery/Consumer Reports - the Tesla owners who paid for the AP technology are NOT guinea pigs. Guinea pigs don't fork out $2500 to be part of an experiment. When we purchase the AP option and then subsequently enable it (Tesla makes the driver enable it from the Settings), we take responsibility of using this developing technology.
Thanks so much for writing this and everything else in your post. I think we all know that the vast majority of Tesla owners are responsibly using and benefiting from Autopilot. As many owners have posted here on TMC, Autopilot plus an attentive driver is better than a driver without Autopilot. None of us want Autopilot to be disabled, as Elon so eloquently tweeted recently: 0.0% want it disabled -- not 0.1%, 0.0%

I sure would like this on the trip from California to Las Vegas.
However a little more range for that trip would be good so i wouldn't have to stop in Barstow or Primm.
Maybe some day. Wish the X was cheaper with more range. :)
This makes no sense. Who drives from LA to Vegas nonstop? Everyone I know (and myself) makes a pit stop in Barstow. Unless you are partial to wearing adult diapers who drives 4 hours nonstop (assuming no traffic)? Really?

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric
This makes no sense. Who drives from LA to Vegas nonstop? Everyone I know (and myself) makes a pit stop in Barstow. Unless you are partial to wearing adult diapers who drives 4 hours nonstop (assuming no traffic)? Really?

And what a pisser that would be.

Having made the case for 300 miles of minimum practical range (adverse conditions) betweenst 80% and 20% from a 600 mile battery software locked to 500 miles, I'm all for more range.

That said, the range is for long stretches that are marginally served with SCs today and/or to have a buffer in case an SC is down fo (it happens). Under no circumstances should range be confused with, or considered a substitute for bladder capacity.

In fact, a case could be made for a direct relationship between the quantity of bathroom stops and the quality of domestic harmony during an extended road trip. I'm just sayin'... There's some stuff that's not in the manual.

Consumer reports lost their credibility for me back when they recommended against buying an iPhone 4 during "antenna-gate" the only reason it was even brought to their attention was because of it's meme-status. As it turned out, the Phone was absolutely fine. They seem to only do this stuff for high-traffic keywords....remember - they are NOT a consumer protection agency, they are a "non-profit" that has hundreds of millions of dollars in assets. They're no different than any other media publication that wants to give consumers tips, the only difference is they get to not pay taxes, scored a pretty good OFFICIAL-sounding domain name/ trademark, and act self-righteous. How are they any more qualified to give consumers advice than another journalist?!

It's like, "oh, well the almighty CONSUMER REPORTS has said it , thus it must be true" !?

I won't go so far as to say they are malicious, more likely just not informed enough. But this seems to me like an editorial decision from the top, subject to all the biases and errors of human nature. Either way, I doubt it's a coincidence that TSLA is on fire as far as buzz goes, and I don't see them writing about Mercedes autopilot. How many times do they get to be wrong before they lose their non-profit status??? There is no such thing as a lack of bias. Everyone has bias about everything. The men and women of consumer reports are no different - why is their bias any different than anyone else's?!

Anyways, all this is to say, I don't value consumer reports take anymore than anyone else's. I would wager that the kind of people who do are the kinds of people who accept any of the mainstream media's take whether it be fox/CNN / whatever without questioning it.

"autopilot"....wikipedia so it "has" to be true...but it is referenced. Not a new term. In fact it was the name originally given to this new technology called cruise control in 1958. It's amazing that CR makes anything of it. I guess without advertisers, they need sensationalism to attract readership. I cancelled my subscription.

"Modern cruise control (also known as a speedostat or tempomat) was invented in 1948 by the inventor and mechanical engineer Ralph Teetor.[1] His idea was born out of the frustration of riding in a car driven by his lawyer, who kept speeding up and slowing down as he talked. The first car with Teetor's system was the 1958 Imperial (called "Auto-pilot") using a speed dial on the dashboard."

• Informative
Reactions: xkwizit
"autopilot"....wikipedia so it "has" to be true...but it is referenced. Not a new term. In fact it was the name originally given to this new technology called cruise control in 1958. It's amazing that CR makes anything of it. I guess without advertisers, they need sensationalism to attract readership. I cancelled my subscription.

"Modern cruise control (also known as a speedostat or tempomat) was invented in 1948 by the inventor and mechanical engineer Ralph Teetor.[1] His idea was born out of the frustration of riding in a car driven by his lawyer, who kept speeding up and slowing down as he talked. The first car with Teetor's system was the 1958 Imperial (called "Auto-pilot") using a speed dial on the dashboard."
So if the original moniker for cruise control was "Auto-pilot" then why are the naysayers insisting this means full autonomous self driving rather than just the driving assistance like enhanced cruise control? That said is the term trademarked? Will Chrysler sue Tesla so they can finally have something financially successful in the auto industry besides a mini-van?

With the recent allegations by some Tesla drivers on the failure of Autopilot on their cars and the media jumping on those incidents, this is a quick primer for every Tesla driver (including spouses, siblings, sons and daughters) and Laura MacCleery, VP of Consumer Policy and Mobilization for Consumer Reports:

Autopilot by definition is a system that is used to control the trajectory of a vehicle (aircraft, boat, spacecraft, motor vehicle) without constant "hands-on" control by a human operator. The level of control that an autopilot can perform varies even within aircrafts that are capable of using autopilots. However, autopilot should not be confused with autonomous. An autonomous driving vehicle does not need human intervention. It can navigate without human input solely based on sensing its environment.

Tesla's autopilot is a developing suite of features that meets NHTSA's level 2 unlike Google's car that meets the level 3 designation. As Elon Musk has said many times, Tesla's autopilot represents baby steps towards achieving full autonomy.

As of writing this note, Tesla's autopilot allows you to maintain lane, change lanes, and park the car. While you should keep your hands on the steering wheel, when driving on a straight road with minimal traffic, you may take off your hands from time to time to relax your arms. However, when encountering curves, construction zones, roads that don't have clear lane markings, busy traffic, inclement weather such as rain or snow, and even direct bright sun, you should keep your hand on the steering wheel and be ready to take control if needed.

Remember, when you are in an aircraft and if the pilot were to put the aircraft in autopilot mode, what would you expect them to do. I believe you wouldn't want them to be roaming the aisles and talking to passengers leaving the flight control to the computer. It's the same with your car on autopilot.

And definitely DO NOT:
a) Go to sleep
b) Read any kind of literature
c) Play games
d) Watch anything other than the road and the dash/screen on your car
e) Get so engrossed in conversation with other passengers in the car or on the phone that you are not aware of road conditions.

Did you notice that all of the above also apply to driving any vehicle? I hope you get the point - it is NOT AN AUTONOMOUS vehicle so don't act like you are driving one. There is NO autonomous vehicle authorized on public roads at this time in any part of the world. Once again, autopilot is NOT autonomous. Autopilot still requires you - it will assist you but doesn't replace you.

I am sure many of you must be questioning then why have the AutoPilot. After putting over 18,000 miles on my car with autopilot, here are the advantages:
1. It does really well compared to a human driver for keeping the center of the lane.
2. The few minutes you get to relax your arms go a long way in reducing fatigue especially on long road trips.
3. Since you can relax out of a fixed body posture and less fatiguu, it helps the driver to remain more alert and less likely to doze off.
4. The ultrasonic sensors and the radar are quicker than humans to detect if another vehicle is getting into your lane and slow down your car. They also warn you instantly if you need to take over control and avoid a crash.

Ms. MacCleery/Consumer Reports - the Tesla owners who paid for the AP technology are NOT guinea pigs. Guinea pigs don't fork out $2500 to be part of an experiment. When we purchase the AP option and then subsequently enable it (Tesla makes the driver enable it from the Settings), we take responsibility of using this developing technology.

For your four recommendations, the only one I agree is about consumer education. The other three:
a) Disable autosteer till hands on wheel are required - definitely NOT. Not only is it a huge step backwards towards achieving autonomous driving, it defeats the very purpose of reducing driver fatigue. The current version gives just about sufficient time to relax your posture and reduce fatigue.
b) Stop referring to as Autopilot - It meets the current widely used concept of autopilot and changing the name is not going to make it safer. People will still call it AutoPilot no matter what Tesla renames it too.
c) No more beta releases - test within the lab. Do you know of any automotive lab that emulates every single road condition? Is it even possible to create one?? Google has been trying to collect real life data from its own Level 3 cars on public roads. However, that approach has been a slow process, does not collect sufficient data and delays the significant advantages of autonomous driving. The practice of using beta testers from public is prevalent amongst several industries including healthcare. If consumers are willing to pay Tesla or anyone else to pay for emerging technologies, then don't brute force your way and cripple their rights.

My plea to regulatory bodies and insurance companies:
1. Implement laws that support emerging technologies not cripple them.
2. Improve and standardize our roads - make our roads smarter.
3. Provide incentives for drivers and vehicles that use emerging technologies such as Autopilot as they reduce accidents and improve safety.

And to my fellow Tesla drivers - educate other drivers in your household about autopilot and help them use it responsibly. DRIVE RESPONSIBLY AND SAFE WITH AP!!

And finally back to Consumer Reports and other media - STOP MISLEADING THE PUBLIC - REPORT ON FACTS AND DON'T MISUSE STATISTICS TO PROVE A POINT!!!

Disclaimer: I do not own Tesla stock nor do I short/long Tesla stock at the time of writing. I do own Tesla vehicles with AP enabled and my only interest in writing this post is to promote autonomous driving. You have my permission to reproduce the above post outside of this forum in its entirety. However, if you want to publish parts of it, please contact me for permission.
I made a similar post on the consumer reports article but it seems to have disappeared and it's showing 0 comments. I'm wondering if they are deleting comments or their system is just not working.

If the people would JUST read the operators manual. There is warning after warning NOT to let go of the steering wheel and to be prepared to take control at any time. It also states Autopilot primary use is open highway and encourages drivers not use autopilot in congested or residential areas. I did not see anywhere in the operators manual stating that it's OK to watch a movie or organize your paperwork for your next appointment.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
So if the original moniker for cruise control was "Auto-pilot" then why are the naysayers insisting this means full autonomous self driving rather than just the driving assistance like enhanced cruise control? That said is the term trademarked? Will Chrysler sue Tesla so they can finally have something financially successful in the auto industry besides a mini-van?

Seems like someone /Tesla should point out that Autopilot was the original name given to cruise control over half a century (good grief, am I that old?) ago. Apparently no one gave the name a second thought and no one confused it with the word "autonomous"

Tesla misused statistics to prove a point. All I've seen in response are articles which point that out.

Elon Musk’s estimate that Tesla Autopilot could save 500,000 lives worldwide doesn’t make sense

roadandtrack article tweeted via Elon: Leave Tesla Alone

Here's a statistic for you: 1.08 fatalities per 100 million miles driven. According to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration, that's the death rate on the American road as of 2014, the last year for which there is complete data. In 1994, the rate was 1.73, so we are almost twice as safe as a nation of drivers as we were twenty years ago. This will no doubt come as a surprise to those of you who buy into the idea that "distracted driving" has unleashed a plague of death and destruction upon us. The fatality rate in 2007, the year of the iPhone's introduction, was 1.36. We are now 30 percent safer than we were before the iPhone. Unlike the people who make a living raising panic about distracted driving, I won't try to make an outrageous and illogical assertion based on the above fact.

As good at the 1.08 stat is, I can come up with a better one: 0.76 fatalities per 100 million miles driven. Is that the fatality rate for Germany, where nobody ever passes in the right lane, there is barely any distracted driving, and everybody who has a license is basically as good a driver as Michael Schumacher, or at least Ralf Schumacher? Is it Finland where the driving test is so strictthere's a 57 percent failure rate? Or is it Japan, where all the cars are clean and brand new?
<snip>

Since owning my Model S with AP, I have found my driving habits are much safer. I was a left lane driver, pulling impatient passes when coming up on people driving too slow in the left lane. Since AP, I set my speed and let it do the driving for me, maintaining proper safe distances, etc... I'm calmer, more relaxed, and frankly just enjoy driving more.

As for Consumer Reports, after holding a 20 year subscription, I have cancelled mine because of this ludicrous request to Tesla, and I have written them a letter so they know why they lost a 20 year customer. I encourage current CR subscribers to do the same. Send a message. They should report and act on fact based information, not emotions and feelings.

I had a thought on AP safety which could be developed and rolled out to existing Models.

1) Create a training program administered by the touch screen that must be completed in full before allowing AP to be enabled. This program can only begin when in Park. It would involve the driver doing several things like:
-Turning on AP with the instrument lever
-responding to a "place hands on wheel" notice
-lane change
Of course the car is not moving and all the different procedures would be sudo/fake in terms of your actions actually controlling the AP during this tutorial. It would also have a lengthy video cautioning the don'ts. At the end of this the driver creates a unique AP password that is not to be given out carelessly (ie. You don't give the AP password to your 16yr old son unless he has gone through the same training app)

2) After above #1 is completed now when your Model is started and you enter your vehicle the touchscreen asks if you plan to use AP during your drive. If so enter the AP password. AP can't be activated unless this happens further insuring people understand.

3) Future Models have a biometric finger reader near ignition to have driver profiles for the car. A driver profile can only have AP enabled if specified by the profile. A requirement would be to go through the training app before allowing that thumbprint to be able to activate AP on the instrument lever.

I completely agree this shouldn't be necessary but from a PR aspect might be a good idea