Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot - note to drivers and Consumer Reports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MY 2C - (AND CONSUMER REPORTS CAN SUCK IT!)

upload_2016-7-17_19-20-4.png

Want to extract this quote and highlight it - let those naysayers who have never seen AP in action read this and back off.
It's okay that your a huge "fan" of Tesla/AP that doesn't mean that those of us who have a different or more critical view are advocating its demise. Most enjoy testing it under different conditions but understand the deficiencies and know where it works and where it doesn't. I've been using it since day one.

Reactions: KaiserSoze
I've read these before and we came out great but I'm talking about personal hands on experience under real conditions.

When you read the descriptions of the performance of each system and look at the test data I think it is clear that, in the basic area of ability to maintain a lane, the Tesla system works better than the others. My point was that the Lane Keep Assist system that is the best at staying in a lane is the on that is labeled beta. Besides, I think the magazine did a more scientific test than someone borrowing one of each and taking them out for a drive. Again, the system that tested best is the one that is labeled as beta.

One of the questions for me that has come to mind over the past week is why other auto makers aren’t speaking out in support for AP. Most of them are working on it in some form. One would hope they would help support Tesla in advancing AP/autonomous driving as a whole.

Larry Page for example; He is not only working on autonomous driving with Google but is also a personal friend of Elon’s. I mean come on, I “get it” (why they don’t speak out. Not wanting to go down with the ship) but they SHOULD be supporting him. Come on Ford, GM, BMW, etc.…

Now let’s speak about texting, or Pokémon Go for that matter… Texting is a well-known concern for driver’s safety, in that people are using it while driving and not paying attention to the road as they should be. And although the concerns about texting and driving have been raised in the past, said to be worse than drinking and driving, you no longer see it in the headlines. And it is by FAR more of a concern than a product like AP. Which is trying to help you drive more safely, not one that is distracting you from doing so. It was in no way designed, or intended to, help drivers or create safer roads like APs’ ultimate goal is.

Pokémon Go is by far a bigger concern than AP, if the true concern is in regards to safety that is. It of course is offering absolutely no benefit towards safety. Yet people are “driving” around playing the game. (Yes I get it, one is designed for driving and the other is for entertainment, but they are both effecting safety.) People are walking/driving around blindly in/thru traffic playing the game. Heck, they say a positive of the game is that people are getting out and exercising (And I agree). Yet this morning I watched a young man riding his hover board down the street all awhile staring at his phone playing the game. Still we are not, yet, in anyway trying to demonize it and stop people from playing. But I question if it may not be at this time, simply because of the shear masses in which it is being played in, more of a safety concern than AP. You have around 80K of AP drivers and millions of Poke players.

My entire point of this is to say maybe the level of scrutiny of AP over the last several days is being entirely over blown.

When you read the descriptions of the performance of each system and look at the test data I think it is clear that, in the basic area of ability to maintain a lane, the Tesla system works better than the others. My point was that the Lane Keep Assist system that is the best at staying in a lane is the on that is labeled beta. Besides, I think the magazine did a more scientific test than someone borrowing one of each and taking them out for a drive. Again, the system that tested best is the one that is labeled as beta.
Okay, I think you are bringing up the "beta" label for a reason but you lost me. To me it doesn't matter what they call it that's not my issue. My only issue is because it's still a work in progress be extra diligent. Personal experience in local conditions, for me, is much more valuable.

Last edited:
Reactions: RxShah and Richg
Okay, I think you are bringing up the "beta" label for a reason but you lost me. To me it doesn't matter what they call it that's not my issue. My only issue is because it's still a work in progress be extra diligent. Personal experience in local conditions, for me, is much more valuable.
Every single system in any vehicle you can buy/drive today can be described as a "work in progress". This is why we pay more money to get the newer versions every year. Tesla is also able to learn from your "personal experience" with the feature. As long as they are able to extrapolate useful data from this crowdsourcing and improve AP, it can be considered Beta.

My initial comment, which you replied to, was to point out that the hysteria over the term beta being applied to AP was unwarranted. I tried to do it with a bit of humor. People are taking beta to mean Tesla's AP is inferior to the other systems out there when it isn't. You replied questioning why I thought Tesla was better. I replied with a link to comparison testing. Again, Tesla's "beta" system ifs better than the released systems from other companies. If you read their manuals you even see the same comments such as inability to sense cross traffic, stationary objects or, in the case of Hyundai, trailers with unusually shipped cargo.

well thought out response to CR and the hysteria in the media about AP. I feel CR didn't actually ever try AP before jumping in and offering their opinion. I am an AP newbie, just returned from a 3000 mile road trip on our new MX. Driving with autopilot has been the most relaxing driving experience of my lifetime. It reacted quicker than me. With a little bit of common sense and hands on experience it was easy to figure out when not to rely on it. And to say the least, I had my hands on the wheel!!!

With the recent allegations by some Tesla drivers on the failure of Autopilot on their cars and the media jumping on those incidents, this is a quick primer for every Tesla driver (including spouses, siblings, sons and daughters) and Laura MacCleery, VP of Consumer Policy and Mobilization for Consumer Reports:

Autopilot by definition is a system that is used to control the trajectory of a vehicle (aircraft, boat, spacecraft, motor vehicle) without constant "hands-on" control by a human operator. The level of control that an autopilot can perform varies even within aircrafts that are capable of using autopilots. However, autopilot should not be confused with autonomous. An autonomous driving vehicle does not need human intervention. It can navigate without human input solely based on sensing its environment.

Tesla's autopilot is a developing suite of features that meets NHTSA's level 2 unlike Google's car that meets the level 3 designation. As Elon Musk has said many times, Tesla's autopilot represents baby steps towards achieving full autonomy.

As of writing this note, Tesla's autopilot allows you to maintain lane, change lanes, and park the car. While you should keep your hands on the steering wheel, when driving on a straight road with minimal traffic, you may take off your hands from time to time to relax your arms. However, when encountering curves, construction zones, roads that don't have clear lane markings, busy traffic, inclement weather such as rain or snow, and even direct bright sun, you should keep your hand on the steering wheel and be ready to take control if needed.

Remember, when you are in an aircraft and if the pilot were to put the aircraft in autopilot mode, what would you expect them to do. I believe you wouldn't want them to be roaming the aisles and talking to passengers leaving the flight control to the computer. It's the same with your car on autopilot.

And definitely DO NOT:
a) Go to sleep
b) Read any kind of literature
c) Play games
d) Watch anything other than the road and the dash/screen on your car
e) Get so engrossed in conversation with other passengers in the car or on the phone that you are not aware of road conditions.

Did you notice that all of the above also apply to driving any vehicle? I hope you get the point - it is NOT AN AUTONOMOUS vehicle so don't act like you are driving one. There is NO autonomous vehicle authorized on public roads at this time in any part of the world. Once again, autopilot is NOT autonomous. Autopilot still requires you - it will assist you but doesn't replace you.

I am sure many of you must be questioning then why have the AutoPilot. After putting over 18,000 miles on my car with autopilot, here are the advantages:
1. It does really well compared to a human driver for keeping the center of the lane.
2. The few minutes you get to relax your arms go a long way in reducing fatigue especially on long road trips.
3. Since you can relax out of a fixed body posture and less fatiguu, it helps the driver to remain more alert and less likely to doze off.
4. The ultrasonic sensors and the radar are quicker than humans to detect if another vehicle is getting into your lane and slow down your car. They also warn you instantly if you need to take over control and avoid a crash.

Ms. MacCleery/Consumer Reports - the Tesla owners who paid for the AP technology are NOT guinea pigs. Guinea pigs don't fork out $2500 to be part of an experiment. When we purchase the AP option and then subsequently enable it (Tesla makes the driver enable it from the Settings), we take responsibility of using this developing technology.

For your four recommendations, the only one I agree is about consumer education. The other three:
a) Disable autosteer till hands on wheel are required - definitely NOT. Not only is it a huge step backwards towards achieving autonomous driving, it defeats the very purpose of reducing driver fatigue. The current version gives just about sufficient time to relax your posture and reduce fatigue.
b) Stop referring to as Autopilot - It meets the current widely used concept of autopilot and changing the name is not going to make it safer. People will still call it AutoPilot no matter what Tesla renames it too.
c) No more beta releases - test within the lab. Do you know of any automotive lab that emulates every single road condition? Is it even possible to create one?? Google has been trying to collect real life data from its own Level 3 cars on public roads. However, that approach has been a slow process, does not collect sufficient data and delays the significant advantages of autonomous driving. The practice of using beta testers from public is prevalent amongst several industries including healthcare. If consumers are willing to pay Tesla or anyone else to pay for emerging technologies, then don't brute force your way and cripple their rights.

My plea to regulatory bodies and insurance companies:
1. Implement laws that support emerging technologies not cripple them.
2. Improve and standardize our roads - make our roads smarter.
3. Provide incentives for drivers and vehicles that use emerging technologies such as Autopilot as they reduce accidents and improve safety.

And to my fellow Tesla drivers - educate other drivers in your household about autopilot and help them use it responsibly. DRIVE RESPONSIBLY AND SAFE WITH AP!!

And finally back to Consumer Reports and other media - STOP MISLEADING THE PUBLIC - REPORT ON FACTS AND DON'T MISUSE STATISTICS TO PROVE A POINT!!!

Disclaimer: I do not own Tesla stock nor do I short/long Tesla stock at the time of writing. I do own Tesla vehicles with AP enabled and my only interest in writing this post is to promote autonomous driving. You have my permission to reproduce the above post outside of this forum in its entirety. However, if you want to publish parts of it, please contact me for permission.

Last edited:
My initial comment, which you replied to, was to point out that the hysteria over the term beta being applied to AP was unwarranted. I tried to do it with a bit of humor. People are taking beta to mean Tesla's AP is inferior to the other systems out there when it isn't. You replied questioning why I thought Tesla was better. I replied with a link to comparison testing. Again, Tesla's "beta" system ifs better than the released systems from other companies. If you read their manuals you even see the same comments such as inability to sense cross traffic, stationary objects or, in the case of Hyundai, trailers with unusually shipped cargo.
I don't recall my questioning why you thought Tesla was better than brand X and your link (post #26) was included in a quote from me about a different topic. That post was minimizing some of the AP gotcha's and after re-reading I thought maybe my response might be construed that I thought AP sucked so I posted again to clarify with the comment you quoted. I'm not going to go back and forth on this but I wanted to clarify so it would make sense.

Exactly what I am hoping for with my M3.(Make me go with the flow and calm down) :)
It is amazing to know you can blow away just about everything else on the road with just a press of the accelerator, yet at least for me I just don't see the need to do it. Let the idiots in the Hyundai's and the Toyotas fly by at 90. I keep within the speed limit on AP. I suppose it is really elitist, but all those others on the road are just cars while I'm driving a Tesla. No wonder they hate us. ;-)

Currently halfway through a 2000 mile road trip in the X,and I can say that Autopilot is clearly better than manual lane-and-speed keeping. Better together is the best way to put it, because that's how it works best. When I'm not at my best, AP is there to tweak. When AP isn't doing its best, I tweak. The end result is a smoother ride and a more comfortable journey. I love my pre-AP Model S, but I don't know if it's going to be road tripping anytime soon.

Driving with autopilot has been the most relaxing driving experience of my lifetime.

This forum is littered with dozens or hundreds of posters who have reflected similar sentiments.

Yet WSJ, CR and others who have chimed in on AP chose to ignore all that but focus on a handful of negative postings mostly from folks who have not driven with AP