Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot - purchase or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that Tesla has moved things in house and working on their own hardware with software, is purchasing AP even worth it? I didn't get it in the X since it was primarily my wife's car, but I got her a new car she wanted a bit more. Debating if I should get AP or just hold off and see if I end up upgrading in the future.

I would get it. I upgraded my original purchase to include eap and also full autonomy. It was a lot of nerve wracking and second guessing but i think the autopilot is only going to get better. owning a tesla is buying into cutting edge technology. And autopilot is a big part of one of the advantages to owning a tesla. right now, we aren't at full autonomy but expect over the air updates where tesla is going to be fast approaching level 4 autonomy.

Reactions: bradbrok
I would get it. I upgraded my original purchase to include eap and also full autonomy. It was a lot of nerve wracking and second guessing but i think the autopilot is only going to get better. owning a tesla is buying into cutting edge technology. And autopilot is a big part of one of the advantages to owning a tesla. right now, we aren't at full autonomy but expect over the air updates where tesla is going to be fast approaching level 4 autonomy.
I believe OP is referring to AP1, meaning he did not purchase AP1 software at the time of purchase, and now thinking whether it's still worth activating the AP1 software.

Reactions: umeshunni
In general, I think the first generation Autopilot Convenience Features are worthwhile things to have, and probably worth what Tesla is asking.

If you're seriously thinking of trading the car in to upgrade, I'm not at all sure it'd be worth the money now for you, though you'd presumably get most of it back on trading in.

Now that Tesla has moved things in house and working on their own hardware with software, is purchasing AP even worth it? I didn't get it in the X since it was primarily my wife's car, but I got her a new car she wanted a bit more. Debating if I should get AP or just hold off and see if I end up upgrading in the future.

AP1 is still a technological marvel and AP2 doesn't lessen that fact. It's incredibly useful(esp. on longer trips or while in heavy traffic) and fun, will definitely make your trips safer and of course it's a Tesla-only whiz/bang feature and most significant option of any car ever.

When I was in the trial period I had the good and bad of course and know it will improve. The question is how much will it improve, and when will it basically just stop improving and be a final product. You're right when you say AP1, I got my X before the new hardware and software announcement, since it's still newish I can minimize the amount of money lost due to the trade in tax as well as qualifying for the federal and state incentives/credits next year.

I just wonder about the support for AP1 now that Tesla is doing the EAP and Autonomous in house.

When I was in the trial period I had the good and bad of course and know it will improve. The question is how much will it improve, and when will it basically just stop improving and be a final product. You're right when you say AP1, I got my X before the new hardware and software announcement, since it's still newish I can minimize the amount of money lost due to the trade in tax as well as qualifying for the federal and state incentives/credits next year.

I just wonder about the support for AP1 now that Tesla is doing the EAP and Autonomous in house.
There are so many edge cases to AutoPilot, that I would expect it to never stop improving. At first, I would expect the improvements to come fast and furious, but then flatten out over time, with the occasional small, minor improvements.

I believe OP is referring to AP1, meaning he did not purchase AP1 software at the time of purchase, and now thinking whether it's still worth activating the AP1 software.

I would still get AP1 if you didnt get it originally. it's still worth it. I have tested it briefly and loved the tech. it's hopefully still going to get over the air updates in future that will improve it.