Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot vs. Drivepilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Article written by Alex Roy gives AP the win hands down.
His description of Mercedes Drivepilot reminds me of my 2016 Lexus: It oscillates between lane markings like a drunk driver.
That is how I feel using the Lexus Driver assist

The War For Autonomous Driving: 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class VS. 2017 Tesla Model S

That's how my Infiniti FX50 was. You'd never use it for any sort of autonomous level driving. It's there to make sure you don't swerve out of your lane and will keep the car bouncing back and fourth the entire time.

True, it's a "lane assist" but I like to test it's usefulness. Normally bounces back and forth between lanes when it's not going completely over the line. It's not advertised as useful so I don't expect it to be :) But I do love the TACC. Can't wait to have both when the S comes in

In another thread where it's a bit off topic, JeffreyY posted pointers to these two articles in addition to the article already mentioned above:

Mercedes’s New E-Class Kinda Drives Itself—And It’s Kinda Confusing

Hands off

I just read all three. It sounds like the press furor over Tesla autopilot mishaps is soon going to shift over to the upcoming Mercedes Drive Pilot mishaps. Boiling it down, it looks like Mercedes can't hold lanes well but worst of all, it's not made clear to the driver whether it is locked onto the road or has just disengaged. My other thought is that (sorry for the slander here) I suspect the average E-Class owner is not going to be quite as good a beta tester as the average tech-oriented early-adopter Tesla owner. This should be very interesting.

From the sound of the article on The Drive, it may be that the Merc system is so bad people don't use it like they do Autopilot (or at all). The problem with AP is that it is so good at this point it lulls people who don't know its limitations into a false sense of security. With the Merc you never get to the "lull" stage.

From the sound of the article on The Drive, it may be that the Merc system is so bad people don't use it like they do Autopilot (or at all). The problem with AP is that it is so good at this point it lulls people who don't know its limitations into a false sense of security. With the Merc you never get to the "lull" stage.

The same thing was mentioned in the Wired article about this system. Mercedes had hinted that it is "intentionally" bad so that drivers don't mistake it for a semi self driving car and understand it's never acceptable to leave the car unsupervised.

I don't know if I like that excuse or not.

Nice to read about Tesla being the best. But the author got a few things wrong:

-Nobody knows if the display is showing everything that the car can see. I seriously doubt that it does. Tesla is showing what they want us to see. Also, cars, trucks and motorcycles are not always shown as such. I find that the image is more of a car than anything else. Not that it really matters to me.
-The car sees lane markers and shows them as grey. It shows them as blue when AP is engaged, and only then. They only turn grey when disengaged. It can continue to drive in AP when seeing one line, which shows as blue. The driver may have to take over when they both disappear.
-Walls, etc are not color coded in blue. Obstacles are indicated by distance in different colors in glowing areas of approximate range. An important distinction.
-I totally disagree that AP can keep my car better centered in the lane that I. This guy must be a poor driver. Mine does wander slightly. It might be slight. But it essentially wiggles a bit in the lane. I do a much better job.
-Lingering near exit lanes and the car tracking right off the road? Fixed in the very first rev and very well documented. When did he drive? Within the first few weeks of initial release?
-Working in night or weather: That is exactly when we want a safety system to work. And it works well. I'll give him that.
-I do agree that the warnings could be better. I think if we had a HUD, that would solve the problem, as we are not looking at the IP all the time while driving. At least we shouldn't... By the time I hear the tone, I always feel that it is a bit too late. However, I have never had a problem.
-AP 8? Completely wrong. We are on AP1 and looking forward to AP2.

OK. I know that I am nitpicking some of this stuff. But it really pisses me off when somebody writes an article purporting to know enough to critique a product when they can't even get some of the basics right. Even though he praised the Tesla AP, his inaccuracies lead me to believe that his slamming the Merc system is inaccurate also. Yes, I am a total Tesla fanboy. But I have great respect for Mercedes and do not like the idea that they got slammed by somebody who does not fully understand even the company that he is praising.

I posted this on their site also, with a few minor tweaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boatguy and mobe
... but but Mercedes system is not Beta !! Only Tesla has the audocity to release an incomplete beta version -:)

That was also my first though about it not being called Beta:

"I got the Drive Pilot to “drive” itself for as long as sixty seconds, which is as along as Mercedes-Benz deems it safe. Trust me, you don’t want to take your hands off the wheel that long unless your car’s on fire and you’re reaching for a fire extinguisher, and even then."

In response to #10

My car still wanders at times to exits. It varies and has improved. Probably works best with CA lane markings for obvious reasons but it has issues here.

I see motorcycles and trucks all the time on my display. Perfect - no, but majority correct.

In another thread where it's a bit off topic, JeffreyY posted pointers to these two articles in addition to the article already mentioned above:

Mercedes’s New E-Class Kinda Drives Itself—And It’s Kinda Confusing

Hands off

I just read all three. It sounds like the press furor over Tesla autopilot mishaps is soon going to shift over to the upcoming Mercedes Drive Pilot mishaps. Boiling it down, it looks like Mercedes can't hold lanes well but worst of all, it's not made clear to the driver whether it is locked onto the road or has just disengaged. My other thought is that (sorry for the slander here) I suspect the average E-Class owner is not going to be quite as good a beta tester as the average tech-oriented early-adopter Tesla owner. This should be very interesting.
I kinda agree. I had looked into getting an E-Class 3 years ago so when I saw them on the road I always took a look. Here on Long Island anyway it seems an inordinate amount of E-350's were driven by elder females. I'm not knocking it because my wife drives an elder female car, Lexus E350 (I will deny ever saying this :) So I must agree with you about the Tesla driver. I don't see many Tesla's here just yet but I suspect you are partially correct on the assumption. I would hate to see my elders using Drivepilot but I suspect they would quickly give up on it's usefulness