Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot vs FRUITS!!

What object would you use in the steering wheel?

• Water Bottle

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other Fruit

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Basketball

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also getting tired of the frequent nags. It makes AP less useful and more stressful with more distraction. Sometimes it does not even beep and throws me into the no-AP-for-you jail. When the road is open, straight with clearly marked lanes and I am going at below the speed limit there is no reason to be such a nag nanny.

You know there is a social rule that when the citizens feel they are taxed too much and unfairly, they will try every means to cheat the taxman. Even the most honest and conscientious and well respected citizen will disobey and cheat, because he genuinely doesn't think he is doing anything wrong.

I think we are on that territory with the AP nags.

I never used one so I'm confused. Can't you sort of hold your hand on the wheel and it's good enough? Or where you hands are occupied while driving?
That is exactly how you are supposed to use it, with your hand resting on the wheel ready to take over if necessary. Having survived the last 50,000 miles on my vehicle, with about 35,000 of that on autopilot, I can tell you it is no issue at all to rest your hand on the wheel. Some other commenters are wanting to fiddle with other things while driving, which is outside the current capabilities and how we end up with these fatalities.

Reactions: T-Will and EinSV
I just keep my right hand resting on the bottom of the steering wheel and watch the traffic around me while it’s doing its thing.

Particularly in heavy commuting traffic and on long distance freeway slogs this reduces my tension and processing overhead from driving and I arrive more relaxed at my destination.

Looking forward to level 3 and beyond someday but we’re not there yet.

Guys in the video are idiots. He was looking down at a Snapchat story while at the wheel. He is going to kill somebody with that kind of stupidity.

So he was like 90% of the <40 year old population behind the wheel today? Because pretty much everywhere I go all I see are teen/twenty/thirty somethings looking at their phone in their hand while simultaneously trying to drive their car.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and Runt8
With one hand resting at the bottom of the steering wheel
Okay guys, lets be honest here. One hand on the wheel - or - one hand on you-know-where makes little difference to the safety of your driving.

What increases safety are these things:

a) watching the road

b) being on heightened alert when you see road conditions ahead that might confuse AP, or situations that we know AP doesn't do well (lane splitting, lane drops, curves, poor lanes, someone cutting you closely in slow traffic etc..)

c) being observant of your surroundings.

You could keep both the hands and the other thing also on the wheel, it doesn't mean a diddly if you are not doing the three things I mentioned above. And you know what, you could do those three things and be ready to take the wheel in a jiffy *without* keeping your hand on the wheel.

So if you decide to silence AP nags, it doesn't matter if you do it by lazily keeping one hand on the wheel, or have an orange to do the job.

Another thing: for many people their hands are not heavy enough that resting on the wheel does not stop nag nanny.

Last edited:
Okay guys, lets be honest here. One hand on the wheel - or - one hand on you-know-where makes little difference to the safety of your driving.

What increases safety are these things:

a) watching the road

b) being on heightened alert when you see road conditions ahead that might confuse AP, or situations that we know AP doesn't do well (lane splitting, lane drops, curves, poor lanes, someone cutting you closely in slow traffic etc..)

c) being observant of your surroundings.

You could keep both the hands and your nose also on the wheel, it doesn't mean a diddly if you are not doing the three things I mentioned above. And you know what, you could do those three things and be ready to take the wheel in a jiffy *without* keeping your hand on the wheel.

So if you decide to silence AP nags, it doesn't matter if you do it by lazily keeping one hand on the wheel, or have an orange to do the job.

Another thing: for many people their hands are not heavy enough that resting on the wheel does not stop nag nanny.

Well said. Lately, I've noticed that resting a hand on the wheel does exactly nothing to reduce the nags, which now can occur less than a minute apart. It's past annoying. It's now more dangerous to have to keep checking the IC for the flashing perimeter instead of keeping eyes on the road.

This is yet another area for which AP1 was superior to AP2. With AP1 there was a chime and that was *much* more effective than this flashing border thing. Regression in action right there. I understand now that even with AP1 one is subject to the much less effective flashing border malaise.

I don't use citrus, water bottles, or fishing weights when roadtripping - not because I'm averse to it but because I keep forgetting to bring any of that stuff and once on the road, I'm not stopping at a grocery store for an orange. Just not gonna do it (George Bush voice). If I ever see an orange at a truck stop, I'll consider it I guess. Except I stop at truck stops when I'm hungry so I'd probably eat the orange. The horror.

Since everyone else seems to be waiting for *.20.x to be the be all end all of bugfix releases, then maybe it will Relax the Nag as well.

The Nag, if missed sufficiently, also creates a less safe driving experience by disabling AutoSteer until the car is put into Park. Just a poor implementation all the way around.

I'd much prefer to have stable AutoSteer, the chime alert brought back, and to keep my eyes on the road as much as possible. Heresy, I know. Maybe it's still this way with AP1 cars but I don't think so since a number of software releases ago.

And so it goes. Still the safest car on the road - but it could be safer still. Excellence is getting from 99% to 99.999%, yep yep.

Guys in the video are idiots. He was looking down at a Snapchat story while at the wheel. He is going to kill somebody with that kind of stupidity.
Haven't watched that video yet, but perhaps some folks can knock some sense into the OP of the thread at Autopilot steering wheel hack. Look at his reaction when it's clear he doesn't care about the others that share the road with him.

If the worst consequence is that he gets himself killed and nobody else could suffer injury and property damage, I'd say "yes, go for it!" Unfortunately, that's not how the world works.

I've accidentally disabled autopilot thanks to the constant nagging before. It gets so annoying to have to apply some force to the steering wheel every minute for an hour that it becomes frustrating and I accidentally applied a little too much force during a slight curve. Luckily there were no cars around, but I really wish it wouldn't nag so much.

I don't even use my phone while driving, so having to constantly nudge the steering wheel every minute is more of a distraction.