Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer 7.1 v/s 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a fairly new Tesla owner and would like to thank the community for a wealth of information out here!

I would like to get people's feedback on Autosteer. For me, autopilot was one of the most useful features of 7.0. Not needing to constantly hold the wheel was very nice.

However, with 7.1, there seems to be a general consensus that the "nag" has increased from 7.0 (the exact timing of nag may be debatable though). I was wondering if users have seen improvements in the Autosteer function over 7.0 to make it worth an upgrade in-spite of a slightly increased amount of lag. Keep in mind that perpendicular parking, summon and added visuals do not excite me and I rather be using 7.0 and not hold the wheel for a longer period of time than upgrade to 7.1 and have the annoyance of holding the wheel every few minutes.

Autosteer seems to work pretty well for me for 7.0 (even on freeways with exit ramps) so I am wondering how improved is it with 7.1.

People report that it:
- works better in curves (less hunting in the curve)
- nags more
- is more likley to ping-pong in a lane
- sees road markings better

Keep in mind it also restricts speed to 5mph over whatever random number it thinks the speed limit is when you are on a road that it somehow decides is not divided (regardless of what the actual speed limit is, or if the road is actually divided)

I looked at this list and decided not to upgrade, others may chose differently. One thing you must keep in mind though is that upgrading is a one way street, if you don't like the new version there is no going back.

I recommend you make your own decision based on whatever information you can find here, or better yet by actually driving the new firmware on another car on your common routes if possible.

I am a fairly new Tesla owner and would like to thank the community for a wealth of information out here!

I would like to get people's feedback on Autosteer. For me, autopilot was one of the most useful features of 7.0. Not needing to constantly hold the wheel was very nice.

However, with 7.1, there seems to be a general consensus that the "nag" has increased from 7.0 (the exact timing of nag may be debatable though). I was wondering if users have seen improvements in the Autosteer function over 7.0 to make it worth an upgrade in-spite of a slightly increased amount of lag. Keep in mind that perpendicular parking, summon and added visuals do not excite me and I rather be using 7.0 and not hold the wheel for a longer period of time than upgrade to 7.1 and have the annoyance of holding the wheel every few minutes.

Autosteer seems to work pretty well for me for 7.0 (even on freeways with exit ramps) so I am wondering how improved is it with 7.1.

Do it! I find a lot of improvement in AP with the exception of a slight right lane bias. Nags are the same and you should be holding the steering wheel anyway. Much less ping pong for me and zero diving for freeway exits. The speed restriction you hear about is a non issue for me. There's also about a dozen updates to various components that are not in the release notes but documented by @Ingineer. Although Summon is sort of a toy Homelink auto open auto close is great (if you can use it).

I think it nags a bit more, and the speed limiting is sort of annoying (but not really-- I would probably only go 6-7 mph over the limit on the roads it limits on, and what is really the difference between that and 5?), but it drives considerably better, enough to make it worthwhile in spite of the two small annoyances I mentioned.

Now, the removal of the audio source button from the 17" display, that's much more annoying to me than anything related to autopilot!

Green1, have you had a chance to drive a 7.1 car yet, to confirm your concerns?
I'm trying not to tell people specifically not to upgrade, and let them make their own decisions, but based on the information I have read on this forum, I can say that for me, I am not willing to install 7.1, and honestly, a test drive on it is unlikely to alleviate my concerns.

That said, I'm quite happy with 7.0, and the items I don't like in 7.0 are not listed anywhere as improved in 7.1, so I don't see any reason to change versions. For my use case I see several downsides and no upsides. but each person must make their own decision.

I just want to emphasize that it should be people's own decision, not just "well Tesla thinks I should".

My father reports that the 7.1 AP works better than 7.0 and he has not experienced a "timed nag" on the Orange County (California) freeways he drives. He says he keep his hand(s) lightly on the wheel most of the time, which of course is what Tesla says your are supposed to do. Also, a friend of mine with a new Tesla uses AP regularly during his commute and tells me that 7.1 AP is a definite improvement.
If I had an AP car I would definitely accept the 7.1 version.
Many (not all) AP users seem to want to not to have to touch the wheel at all. Tesla has been very clear that drivers are to keep their hands on the wheel.

7.1 autosteer works much, much better for me than 7.0 did. It spots and holds onto lane markings better, and handles curves much more smoothly.

I did not have any issues with the supposed "timed nag" but I tend to drive with one hand lightly draped on the wheel so that may affect it.

I get the time nag every 3 to 5 minutes when before with 7.0 I could go 20 minutes on the same stretches of road. 7.1 won't hold the lane as straight as 7.0 did and wanders. 7.1 will break out of gradual corners on highway 99 that it used to follow perfectly.

Really like summons, but used AP a lot so if I had to do it over again I would not have upgrade to 7.1. Hopefully they can fix some of these fixes with 7.2.

I'm going to reuse what some have said for consistency:

- Nags me about the same amount. (Rarely nags me)
- handles curves much better
- identifies the lanes where you have only the reflectors (Botts Dotts?) and no lane stripes
- Ping pongs in lane a little bit more
- Hasn't wildly darted left or right (yet)
- Caps me accurately at 5 mph over the limit
- Still makes me extremely happy and much better than 7.0
- Nice that it slows you down on restricted sections of the road, for example US 395 when driving through the towns, less likely to be doing the wrong speed.

Last edited:
In my fairly limited experience V7.1 seems to spot lines better, and it definitely seems to be more refined in steering.

But, I feel like the lane biasing has changed in a way that makes it worse. In the left lane (only in certain areas) it seems to lane bias too much to the right. No amount of correcting it manually teaches it to go back to center. So I either have to leave the left lane or turn it off.

I haven't had any issue with the nag. Partly because of limited number of miles with it, but also because it feels like they reduced the amount of steering torque required to "reset" it.

Hopefully in the next update they can refine the lane biasing.

My take?

Considerably better:
- nagging about the same, but more audible than before (no big deal, really)
- much much better auto steer. Less ping pong, more stable in lanes
- much better curves even at higher speeds. It is really much better.
- less abrupt braking
- no more highway exit dashing
- no longer lost when driving through an empty intersection
- much smoother shifting between lanes or front car traking
- swifter, more immediate lane changing
- I don't know why, but I have no limit on the speed limit. I usually leave it on about 9mph above the limit and have no problems there.

On the bad side:
- I do feel some right lane bias, especially when on the left lane when ther is a curb close by

Don't see a reason not to upgrade... The audio selector removal really makes no sense, but I can easily do that with a single click on lower button on the right wheel. For me it's easier even..

I prefer 7.1 due to the autopilot improvements and added safety features. I do miss the on-screen source button. Overall, I'm pleased with the upgrade.

Are you referring to the on-screen source button that changes your audio sources? ie, bluetooth, sat radio, FM radio, etc.?

- - - Updated - - -

My non-scientific observations:
- Nags me about the same amount
- Ping pongs in lane more
- Doesn't wildly dart left or right any more (or hasn't yet)
- Caps me accurately at 5 mph over the limit
- Still makes me extremely happy

What do you mean by "ping pongs in lane more"?

I'm also new to this great group. Still learning. Had 7.0 for the past 6 weeks and I try to just hang one hand on the steering wheel.
Some observations about 7.1...
- auto steer nag is the same
- auto steer works better than 7.0 did in the curves
- car doesn't try to take the off ramps at all on its own in autosteer
- sees reflectors without lines better
- great to have the cruise speed already set at whatever you set as warning above posted speed limit
- summon is fun. I don't really use at home in the morning but the auto home link is great when I come home since the garage opens automatically. Half the time I couldn't exactly click the right spot for opening the garage using home link. I do use summon when I don't want to squeeze in between my car and the one next to me to get in
- perpendicular parking is nice. It's even activated when I already partially started to park myself in a spot at work.
- I can't live without it now!

I haven't had that much opportunity to drive it for long stretches. I'll get the chance this Sat. But it doesn't nag me any more than before. I echo every other list except that my ping ponging seems to be intermittent and I hate it. I'm afraid of getting pulled over for a DUI.