Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No VIN and no contact from anyone yet.
3/31/16 res, 7/9/18 config, LR AWD PUP MSM/Black int. Aero Cash Portland Oregon, on spreadsheet as brent
When I click the spreadsheet link, it just appears to ask me to enter in all new info. How do I edit the spreadsheet, once I finally get some kind of new information?
No love for us AWD MSM/black interior guys in the PNW.

Reactions: TechSavvyWife
No VIN and no contact from anyone yet.
3/31/16 res, 7/9/18 config, LR AWD PUP MSM/Black int. Aero Cash Portland Oregon, on spreadsheet as brent
When I click the spreadsheet link, it just appears to ask me to enter in all new info. How do I edit the spreadsheet, once I finally get some kind of new information?

Yes, fraid so. The update from the 4th forces you to enter data using a Google account, after which it will prompt you to edit your existing record if you visit again. For now, please enter the username you originally used and complete the form (again), and I will cross-reference and delete your original entry (to avoid duplicates). Eventually, if enough people update, there will be no chance of duplicates and you'll be able to update your order more easily. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
No love for us AWD MSM/black interior guys in the PNW.

I can only imagine how difficult this waiting would be if the tax credit was being slashed as of 9/30. At least we are pretty sure we're getting our car in the next 3 months or so. What if we were in December, and getting this kind of non-information and indefinite delivery time. I think that we should all feel lucky we aren't those folks who are going to be biting their nails in December. I figure they must have had to redo my entire car which will result in higher quality. Yeah, that's it.

Yes, fraid so. The update grin the 4th forces you to enter data using a Google account, after which it will prompt you to edit your existing record if you visit again. For now, please enter the username you originally used and I will cross-reference and delete your original entry (to avoid duplicates). Sorry for the confusion!

Ok no problem and a huge thank you for keeping this project up and running! You deserve a special award. Since Tesla won't give you one, perhaps we on the forum should.

I can only imagine how difficult this waiting would be if the tax credit was being slashed as of 9/30. At least we are pretty sure we're getting our car in the next 3 months or so. What if we were in December, and getting this kind of non-information and indefinite delivery time. I think that we should all feel lucky we aren't those folks who are going to be biting their nails in December. I figure they must have had to redo my entire car which will result in higher quality. Yeah, that's it.

That's the silver lining honestly... every week they are making additional refinements to the assembly process. A car built in September or October "should" be a higher quality build than one built even in August.

Reactions: neroden
For people to infer they wouldn't have bought the car w/o the fed credit (remember, you have to have at least that tax liability to get the credit) then, yes, I could see if the credits went away in 3 weeks they'd be suicidal. But to those people I offer these words, you just spent $60,000+ and that decision hinged on getting $7500 off? This is similar to a comment I made a month or so ago. A company I worked at in the 80s had very lucrative annual bonuses. It was, to most, like wow, I can buy a nicer car, we can buy our first home with that as down payment. I knew a few couples who spent that money before they got that money. One year, there were no bonuses and those couples were frantic as that wasn't a down payment, it was their mortgage. For those ordering a SR M3, there is no expectation of bonus. They probably sleep better.

• Disagree
Reactions: TechSavvyWife
Wow, that is shocking. I was actually playing with the idea of upgrading to a Performance model if it meant getting my car sooner. Thanks again for putting all this data together.

Using the backdoor edit feature, I spec'd out a change from AWD to P and the delivery went from "2-4 months" to "2 months". So tempting... but just can't justify the additional expense to upgrade for shaving 1 second off zero to 60. Doesn't mean I don't WANT it.

That's the silver lining honestly... every week they are making additional refinements to the assembly process. A car built in September or October "should" be a higher quality build than one built even in August.
I think that is a very accurate statement! Recall the revelation from a month ago, I guess at this point, cars built in, either July and or Aug, had on avg 40 mins of rework per car? That's quite revealing. I am old enough to remember the "Monday morning" cars from Detroit.

I think that is a very accurate statement! Recall the revelation from a month ago, I guess at this point, cars built in, either July and or Aug, had on avg 40 mins of rework per car? That's quite revealing. I am old enough to remember the "Monday morning" cars from Detroit.
That 40 minutes of re-work figure is on the 5K push on the last week of June and hours required on Model 3 has dropped 30% according to Tesla.

Despite being a reservation holder/ordering before July 1, most of us can't say with certainty that we aren't one of those people. That said, while I know I'm only 6 days into my estimated delivery window of Sept-Nov if I haven't heard anything by the time Nov rolls around I'm going to start getting nervious. We're all impatient as we see our reservation/order holding peers getting deliveries.

For people to infer they wouldn't have bought the car w/o the fed credit (remember, you have to have at least that tax liability to get the credit) then, yes, I could see if the credits went away in 3 weeks they'd be suicidal. But to those people I offer these words, you just spent $60,000+ and that decision hinged on getting $7500 off? This is similar to a comment I made a month or so ago. A company I worked at in the 80s had very lucrative annual bonuses. It was, to most, like wow, I can buy a nicer car, we can buy our first home with that as down payment. I knew a few couples who spent that money before they got that money. One year, there were no bonuses and those couples were frantic as that wasn't a down payment, it was their mortgage. For those ordering a SR M3, there is no expectation of bonus. They probably sleep better.

While I would have bought the car, getting the $7500 certainly had an impact of the options I chose when I ordered mine... mainly the LR battery. $7500 is a very nice discount on a $9000 option.

Finally. A text (but no email or call) has arrived from my "Delivery Scheduling Advisor."

After months (following years) of no word whatsoever, a text arrived just moments ago to tell me that my car will be ready for pickup at Fremont in TWO DAYS. Yes, this coming Saturday Sept 8th. Good lord. Does this mean that somebody else rejected the delivery and they're bringing it BACK to Fremont for me?

I have no idea if switching to white paint changed anything. But when I toyed with the idea of switching back to blue, I discovered just yesterday that I could no longer get into my configuration page via the URL method (I've never had an edit button since confirming my order back in June). So one more supporting data point for the idea that when you are no longer able to make any changes, the car may well be very close to delivery.

All relevant data and timing in my sig. My order page has not changed even a tiny bit. No indication of a VIN. I have no idea how to update the spreadsheet.

I have the trunk liners, screen protector, charging station and window shade. Just waiting for the car too.
IMO, you should get the blue you wanted first...
Just for the record, I *ordered* blue first, but I actually wanted white first. I was discouraged to see that white would add yet another $500 to my already budget-busting order, so I went with my second choice. Blue. Now it appears that my car is ready... in white. So we're all good.

God, I hope we're all good.

Just for the record, I *ordered* blue first, but I actually wanted white first. I was discouraged to see that white would add yet another $500 to my already budget-busting order, so I went with my second choice. Blue. Now it appears that my car is ready... in white. So we're all good.

God, I hope we're all good.
Yep, in the long run you'll be happy with what you picked FIRST. I'm set up for delivery in Rocklin, but would switch to Fremont if it speeds up the waiting. I reserved in Oct 2017, so I'm actually happy to hear you are getting your car before I do. It is hard (impossible?) to try to make sense of how the cars are manufactured and distributed so I don't bother. Just knowing that every completed delivery is one less waiter before me is good enough, for now.

Despite being a reservation holder/ordering before July 1, most of us can't say with certainty that we aren't one of those people. That said, while I know I'm only 6 days into my estimated delivery window of Sept-Nov if I haven't heard anything by the time Nov rolls around I'm going to start getting nervious. We're all impatient as we see our reservation/order holding peers getting deliveries.

While I would have bought the car, getting the $7500 certainly had an impact of the options I chose when I ordered mine... mainly the LR battery. $7500 is a very nice discount on a $9000 option.
Yep...totally agree. I had no expectation of getting the $7500 credit as it could easily been eaten by RWD LR purchasers. I wanted LR as in the NE, as I am sure across the entire northern border, winter months will take a dramatic toll on miles/charge. My first car was purchased in 72, I've had inexpensive models Chevy Vega, Datsun B210 and more expensive models British Layland TR-7, Audi A4, Honda Preludes, Toyota Prius Plugin Advanced. The more expensive models are way better, IMHO, than the entry level models. I would have ordered precisely what I ordered regardless. It's just nice to get it at a near entry level price. We have a very steep driveway of 250'. Winter sucks in CT. Comfortable seats are way nicer than stock seats. We're retired now and, in a couple of years FSD will be very handy. Consequently, AWD, FSD, LR were non-negotiable. I have a 99+% belief it will be delivered this year. I have no urgency to game the system to seek advantage over the rest of you reading this.

Yep, in the long run you'll be happy with what you picked FIRST. I'm set up for delivery in Rocklin, but would switch to Fremont if it speeds up the waiting. I reserved in Oct 2017, so I'm actually happy to hear you are getting your car before I do. It is hard (impossible?) to try to make sense of how the cars are manufactured and distributed so I don't bother. Just knowing that every completed delivery is one less waiter before me is good enough, for now.
My thinking on delivery location went like this:
1. I always wanted a factory tour, and never got around to it. I have no idea if they let you do this today after pickup?
2. I made the choice back in the day when there was more fanfare around the lengthy delivery process, and I thought this would be more fun than the much, much smaller Rocklin location where I reserved.
3. I've had too many vehicles damaged in transportation to not worry about having my car trucked to Rocklin, when Fremont just isn't that much further away for me. One less process.

I wonder if being located in Seattle helps or hurts your chances of a speedy delivery?
I'm thinking hurts because it's an affluent area with lots of techies and environmentally conscious people with only 2 small service / delivery centers for the whole area.
Then again this could just be location bias and I could have just described nearly every location that has a significant number of orders.