Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all this paint drama, I'm now wondering when they'll ever get to build my config.
AWD, Red, Sport, NO EAP

I get the sense they will now knock out all OB and MS to clear those lines and that will push every other color cofig out.
Red appears to be a giant bottleneck and suggests to me that I'm going to get hosed if I think I'll see delivery before anytime earlier than November.
I have a Red AWD No EAP sceduled for delivery next week, after being given a range estimate between mid-Sept. and mid Nov.

Just got a call from Tesla that my car is stuck in Oakland and will likely be delayed more than a week. I was scheduled to pick up tomorrow morning so I'm a bit shocked. I know they're having logistical struggles, but to tell me the day before seems like horrible customer service. Now I might have to wait two more weeks? I'm almost reaching my end with all the struggles and delays and in combination of people who ordered their AWD much later getting theirs much earlier. Ugh, very frustrated and obviously venting right now....
Alcohol or herb of your choice!

• Funny
Reactions: TechSavvyWife
Just got a call from Tesla that my car is stuck in Oakland and will likely be delayed more than a week. I was scheduled to pick up tomorrow morning so I'm a bit shocked. I know they're having logistical struggles, but to tell me the day before seems like horrible customer service. Now I might have to wait two more weeks? I'm almost reaching my end with all the struggles and delays and in combination of people who ordered their AWD much later getting theirs much earlier. Ugh, very frustrated and obviously venting right now....

I know how you feel. As I stated in a post earlier in the thread. It appears the current likelihood of getting your car hinges on being part of a batch and having others in your area with similar configuration.

I’ve seen quite a few that ordered well after me getting their car, but I’m trying to remain patient based on the fact that my original expectation was the Sep-Nov window.

Hang in there.

I should add that I was told all cars that are supposed to be headed to MN are being delayed. So apparently there's a lot more MN people out there in my same situation. Did anyone else get a similar call?

Still showing 9-22 delivery for mine. No call yet, but not very hopeful now after all of these stories. When I spoke to the service center yesterday for an unrelated question, he told me that my car was "in transit to the Midwest." I didn't press for details since I didn't want to take up too much of his time.

Still showing 9-22 delivery for mine. No call yet, but not very hopeful now after all of these stories. When I spoke to the service center yesterday for an unrelated question, he told me that my car was "in transit to the Midwest." I didn't press for details since I didn't want to take up too much of his time.

Pressing for details is pointless anyhow when nobody you can talk to on the phone has access to details.

Reactions: KJD
Digit 8: 2 or 4 mean performance
lol I think you guys are just confusing your reps with this; for MY2018 this is what the decoder designates for the 8th digit:

MY 2018 Decoder: Digit 8: Motor/Drive Unit

• 1= Single Motor – Standard (Designated for Model S)

• 3= Single Motor – Performance (Designated for Model S)

• 2= Dual Motor (standard) (Designated for Model S & Model X)

• 4= Dual Motor (performance) (Designated for Model S & Model X)

• A= Single Motor – Standard (Designated for Model 3)

• B= Dual Motor – Standard (Designated for Model 3)

VIN differentiation for Digit 8 occurs when there's a physical drivetrain difference. In the case of P, there's arguably none.

I should add that I was told all cars that are supposed to be headed to MN are being delayed. So apparently there's a lot more MN people out there in my same situation. Did anyone else get a similar call?
My delivery moved from 9/22 to 10/3 yesterday and now to 10/4 this morning. I am in NJ. Delays in Chicago area is what I was told.

• Informative
My curiosity is just eating me up, so I have to ask... OT, of course:

I have yet to see a single person post a numbered VIN section without hiding the last few digits with XXX. I can only assume that this is for some privacy concern... or is it just out of habit now because everybody does it? What *is* that privacy concern? Especially on a board where we're all happily discussing in public the gritty details of taking delivery of our $55-$80,000 vehicles. The VIN seems to be held as close to the chest as a SSN.

Of course I see the same thing with license plates being obscured. I mean unless they're vanity plates, and then I guess the privacy concern takes a back seat to... the vanity?

Both of these numbers - VIN and license - are out there on display to the unwashed masses every day. But on a forum like this, the privacy risk is too high?

Having had an automotive-based website for many, many years, I never even considered hiding all this information... and in my case all of it is still on display publicly. I'm genuinely just curious, without meaning to judge: Just what is the privacy concern with posting an entire VIN?

My husband is in cyber security and a VIN could be an excellent piece of data to start mining information on you to be used for social engineering. Start with the insurance company "Could you help me XYZ, I have my vin but not my account info". Gain account info. Use that as pivot point for next target, etc down the line. Or use it to track transportation of car to see when owner will not be home. Just about anything uniquely identifiable to you can be used for social engineering and mined rather easy. I personally wouldn't take the chance as it's not a important piece of info for what we are talking about here so blocking out the last numbers are easy to do so why not.

My home delivery is scheduled for 9/25. Other than introducing himself, my DA is off doing other things I guess. If you are like me, you are looking at the little "Overview i" for status.

I reviewed the "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" many times, and finally stopped looking at it. I expected the "Overview i" to be updated like it was when my DA called me. The VIN checkbox is STILL unchecked.

I'm posting to let folks know, the Overview may not be updated! I was looking at the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement and noticed it was EIGHT PAGES! I have no idea when it was updated, and it HAS MY VIN!

Some background; the "Overview i" asked for payment, I paid cash, and the "check" just cleared the bank, so Tesla has their money. Since I did a bank transfer, and those take a while (I expected a call from my bank, but no...), so I started the transfer a week ago.

My husband is in cyber security and a VIN could be an excellent piece of data to start mining information on you to be used for social engineering. Start with the insurance company "Could you help me XYZ, I have my vin but not my account info". Gain account info. Use that as pivot point for next target, etc down the line. Or use it to track transportation of car to see when owner will not be home. Just about anything uniquely identifiable to you can be used for social engineering and mined rather easy. I personally wouldn't take the chance as it's not a important piece of info for what we are talking about here so blocking out the last numbers are easy to do so why not.
Good profession to be in. I retired from CA Technologies Security BU. VIN is clearly a GUID, but not bidirectional unless you ask a current lienholder.

• Informative
I firmly believe if you want to speed up the process, change your order to white interior. Seems they have an excess amount of white interiors and people are being matched quickly with only logistics being the delay.

Unfortunately not a lot of supply for cheap ole blue/black with no EAP/FSD on 18s.

{'Tesla' + 'Cheap'} == $LOL