Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't touch your order, not sure you can. A lease? Don't you have to return the car to the leasor? I mean it's not your car, right?
You can generally trade a lease in at anytime. You just pay off the remaining payments and end of lease payoff. Generally (especially with BMW leases since they are subsidized a lot) it is not financially sound to do and you pay more than you should.

I wouldn't touch your order, not sure you can. A lease? Don't you have to return the car to the leasor? I mean it's not your car, right?

I would buy it outright from BMW and then trade it a few days later. The trade-in values I'm seeing on KBB and NADA make it at least worth pursuing, but I need a real offer. I will look at the auction data and probably get a CarMax quote next week before I do anything.

You can generally trade a lease in at anytime. You just pay off the remaining payments and end of lease payoff. Generally (especially with BMW leases since they are subsidized a lot) it is not financially sound to do and you pay more than you should.

They are offering a buyout incentive, would normally never do it because they are so heavily subsidized but this time it makes sense on paper. I made a spreadsheet that compares my total cash outlay in paying the remaining lease payments and giving the car back versus doing a buyout and trading. The $3,000 from Maryland weighs heavily in that...

Will they do that? I don't want to come across badly, lol. No one so far has complained about the Richmond store, so I am hoping not to have any issues.

I have no idea but if you're really worried that you will be one of the many who has posted stories of "I drove all the way there, then they came out with sad face and said something is wrong with your car" then you should do something before you go through the hassle of 2.5 hour road trip with your family.

Considering the distance you are going I'm sure they will completely understand.

Unfortunately they are totally overwhelmed right now and it seems like a lot of things are slipping through the cracks. Minor inconvenience for someone who needs to take a 30 minute Uber to go get their Model 3. Huge pain in the a** for someone who has to make arrangements to spend the entire day driving to pick up a car.

I would buy it outright from BMW and then trade it a few days later. The trade-in values I'm seeing on KBB and NADA make it at least worth pursuing, but I need a real offer. I will look at the auction data and probably get a CarMax quote next week before I do anything.

They are offering a buyout incentive, would normally never do it because they are so heavily subsidized but this time it makes sense on paper. I made a spreadsheet that compares my total cash outlay in paying the remaining lease payments and giving the car back versus doing a buyout and trading. The $3,000 from Maryland weighs heavily in that...

Get a Carvana quote as well. They gave me roughly 35% over blue book on my beater. (Kbb was like 3500). They offered about blue book for my bmw.

It's been awhile since I last had a lease but isn't using it for someone else's trade-in like selling the apt you lease? Topic switch, I made a particularly snarky comment the other day. I apologise.

I have no idea but if you're really worried that you will be one of the many who has posted stories of "I drove all the way there, then they came out with sad face and said something is wrong with your car" then you should do something before you go through the hassle of 2.5 hour road trip with your family.

Considering the distance you are going I'm sure they will completely understand.

Unfortunately they are totally overwhelmed right now and it seems like a lot of things are slipping through the cracks. Minor inconvenience for someone who needs to take a 30 minute Uber to go get their Model 3. Huge pain in the a** for someone who has to make arrangements to spend the entire day driving to pick up a car.
Understood, gave them a rang. They will try to call back when not doing a delivery (lol so like sometime tonight i guess). On a positive note there were two Model 3's parked at work today. Both had VA temp tags, not sure who they belong to exactly, but if all goes to plan I'll be the third come Thursday.

It's been awhile since I last had a lease but isn't using it for someone else's trade-in like selling the apt you lease? Topic switch, I made a particularly snarky comment the other day. I apologise.
Basically the transaction is several in one. Say you are leasing a bmw. The end of lease buyout is 35000. You have 5 payments of 1000 left. If someone offers you 40000 for it, they pay bmw the 40000 and they now own the car. Technically you are buying out the car then selling it I guess but... it can vary state to state and lease to lease if you need to pay taxes or if your lease even allows you to buy it out. Example the old gm ev1 was lease only. No purchases allowed. Hope that helps.

OT- no worries. I have thick internet skin.

Understood, gave them a rang. They will try to call back when not doing a delivery (lol so like sometime tonight i guess). On a positive note there were two Model 3's parked at work today. Both had VA temp tags, not sure who they belong to exactly, but if all goes to plan I'll be the third come Thursday.
There is another option, go there, if your car's not ready, ask for a loaner.i was told exactly that at the Dedham service center, if they can't fix it while you wait you'll get a loaner.

Basically the transaction is several in one. Say you are leasing a bmw. The end of lease buyout is 35000. You have 5 payments of 1000 left. If someone offers you 40000 for it, they pay bmw the 40000 and they now own the car. Technically you are buying out the car then selling it I guess but... it can vary state to state and lease to lease if you need to pay taxes or if your lease even allows you to buy it out. Example the old gm ev1 was lease only. No purchases allowed. Hope that helps.

OT- no worries. I have thick internet skin.
So, being in CT, I will own the car before they transport it to Dedham, MA. If it falls off the truck, arrives damaged, my insurance company is on the hook to repair/total it? Is it me or is that whacked?

Making 2 x 5 hour round trips would suck, I don't see that getting a loaner somehow makes that okay.
Well, it depends on how many things completing that particular transaction is predicate to. It's an option, only the individual involved can determine if its the most viable option. There are a lot of frayed nerves and over-active emotions. In my case, if it were me, I'd own the car before they put it on the carrier, cause I'm in a non-tesla state. I would consider any issue one of a service issue. Tesla would be taking my car out of service, I'd want a loaner. But that's me.

I believe those with trade-ins or outside financing seem to have the edit button up until a car has been assigned to them. Once a car has been assigned, the edit button goes away and the buyer is contacted about financing and/or trade-in. If you are paying cash and don't have a trade in, the edit button was never there. At least it hasn't been there for me since I ordered on 6/28.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 54
I believe those with trade-ins or outside financing seem to have the edit button up until a car has been assigned to them. Once a car has been assigned, the edit button goes away and the buyer is contacted about financing and/or trade-in. If you are paying cash and don't have a trade in, the edit button was never there. At least it hasn't been there for me since I ordered on 6/28.
Very interesting observation! I have a trade-in AND outside financing. So I'll stop staring at the edit control. When did you reserve? There have been some who reserved in 2017, I think one or two reserved in 2018.

Very interesting observation! I have a trade-in AND outside financing. So I'll stop staring at the edit control. When did you reserve? There have been some who reserved in 2017, I think one or two reserved in 2018.

Reserved: 1/18/17
Ordered: 6/28/18
San Diego
Cash
No Trade-in
MSM, AWD, 19", EAP

I knew I was late to the reservation game and was far behind many of you, so figured not having the edit button didn't mean anything for me.

I wish Tesla was better at just having a party line for all this information that they kept posted in FAQ’s, or on our account pages because while I totally believe you have been told that jkirkwood001, the person I just spoke with in Utah implied to me that as soon as it finished production I’d get a VIN and a call. As of now, still no VIN, so I’ll be polluting the crap out of the world starting on Thursday. ☹️ They also said they started AWD deliveries in Utah 7 days ago.
100% agree. I heard someone here say that call centers are generally not held accountable for what they say, only for complaint and satisfaction scores.... so, they'll say whatever will get you off the phone and feeling satisfied for the moment. Saying, "I don't know, they don't tell me" runs contrary to how they're measured.

Unfortunate truth: nobody really knows. The methodology for figuring out your date is basically "rationale in the absence of facts"

Reactions: wcorey
I heard someone here say that call centers are generally not held accountable for what they say, only for complaint and satisfaction scores.... so, they'll say whatever will get you off the phone
Honestly, I'll split the difference. They are told what they have as best knowledge available at the time. I've called twice now. Every time I've called they know exactly who I am, what I ordered, and where I am in their internal queue. It's highly automated, your order has your phone and that database is tied to phone answering system, much like if you call your insurance company. I suspect rather than shift meetings where mgrs tell them what is happening in Freemont now or foreseeable future, they anecdotally gather information from coworkers during breaks etc. Is it gospel d'truth? No, is it best information available at the time. I suspect so.

Reactions: Ron Kerensky