Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electricity can get pretty complicated, i would rather pay someone to do it right then spend my time trying to learn something that i know absolutely nothing about and potentially mess up the electricity to my house or even kill me
Understanding how to wire a circuit properly is not nearly as complicated as learning to drive a car (as well as learning the vehicle code that you're agreeing to abide by). And statistically driving is FAR more dangerous than working on household electrical circuits.

And yet... we give away driver's licenses without expecting much of anything. And then we basically never retest for a lifetime.

It truly amazes me what we're scared of vs. the real risks we take for granted in our everyday lives.

Received a call this morning cancelling our planned delivery tomorrow morning. Extremely vague, something about the car missing its truck to the service center for detailing. They claim the car is in Tacoma, WA with no way to get here in time which is funny because Tacoma is less than an hour's drive from our home.

Curiously, the VIN assignment has also disappeared from our page on Tesla's site. Doubly curious because they previously sent email suggesting we could arrange insurance on the VIN that no longer shows up. Anyone have a similar experience? My wife is less than impressed given that they've already transferred money from our account for the sale.
Where are you taking delivery?

I also appreciate that Tesla is the only company that appears to be serious about selling EVs in that segment in volume, that have the range and charging network to be practical for more than short-distance drives and commuting.
Funny you should mention that. I went to college in SE Ohio. I lived in RI. My last year I drove out, renting off campus. I'd leave the house with $10 in my pocket and be at my destination in, what I recall was 9 hrs, I-80 to I-79 to Marietta, easy peasy. Using tesla.com/trips I did the same route. It had me going slower routes taking 15 hrs (almost twice as long) and recharging every few hours.This with the LR battery. Savings over gas...$16. There's an historic Lafayette Hotel right on the confluence of Ohio and Muskingum rivers. No EV charge there. We'd have stay 30mi south at a Hampton Inn w/ 16kw chargers. And that is a college town..REALLY?

This is correct. It does not matter who does the work, as long as it is permitted (which in theory assures that it is done to code). A licensed electrician is not required for any liability concerns.
From a quick Google search an inspection of the work appears to be required as the previous poster mentioned. I don't think a simple permit for residential dwellings establishes code compliance. I still think it's best to hire a pro. I have a degree in electrical engineering and still wouldn't open the breaker panel in my house.

Reactions: wcorey
This is correct. It does not matter who does the work, as long as it is permitted (which in theory assures that it is done to code). A licensed electrician is not required for any liability concerns.
I believe it still has to be inspected by a licensed electrician. A friend of mine in La Jolla, an S owner and Engineering PhD does his own work but gets a licensed electrician to inspect for insurance purposes.

I disagree. We, the customer, can change what they're doing and how they do it. People that grow dissatisfied enough to take their business elsewhere will fundamentally hurt the company. Enough voices threatening to do that can change what they're doing and how they do that. They can't stay in business if they can't sell cars.
If you want an EV in that segment, it’s Tesla or nothing.

As far as I know, models like the e-tron quattro and the i-Pace won’t be imported in anywhere near the volumes necessary to affect Tesla’s numbers.

It’s a shame, really, because they need the competition to motivate them to get their act together.

Funny you should mention that. I went to college in SE Ohio. I lived in RI. My last year I drove out, renting off campus. I'd leave the house with $10 in my pocket and be at my destination in, what I recall was 9 hrs, I-80 to I-79 to Marietta, easy peasy. Using tesla.com/trips I did the same route. It had me going slower routes taking 15 hrs (almost twice as long) and recharging every few hours.This with the LR battery. Savings over gas...$16. There's an historic Lafayette Hotel right on the confluence of Ohio and Muskingum rivers. No EV charge there. We'd have stay 30mi south at a Hampton Inn w/ 16kw chargers. And that is a college town..REALLY?
I think you may have erred in that analysis. Google maps shows about 10:40 minutes for the trip and EV trip planner calculates just over 12 hours. About 1.5 hours total time spent changing over three stops.

I think you may have erred in that analysis. Google maps shows about 10:40 minutes for the trip and EV trip planner calculates just over 12 hours. About 1.5 hours total time spent changing over three stops.
Well, I made one error in recollection, I said 15hrs, trips said 13. It had me going to Morgantown, WV. In 72/73 I went either Pa Turnpike or I-80. From Morgantown it's Rt 50, a slow speed road. At 21/22 I wasn't doing 55. My parents thought I was nuts to leave for a cross country trip with only $10. Again, 21/22. Terrytown, NY ->Allentown, PA -> Breezewood, PA-> Morgantown, WV.

Attachments

• DayvilleMarietta.png
    DayvilleMarietta.png
    907 KB · Views: 54
I believe it still has to be inspected by a licensed electrician. A friend of mine in La Jolla, an S owner and Engineering PhD does his own work but gets a licensed electrician to inspect for insurance purposes.
Most locales allow homeowners to do electrical and plumbing work on their own houses, however most alterations or additions require a permit and an inspection by the city or county inspector (not just any licensed electrician). Generally getting a permit is the first step in the process that includes inspections.

Reactions: Nirenk
Congrats! Just curious, your online payment for down payment...can you make that via credit card? I had read in the past Tesla did NOT allow this.
Here are more details on accepted forms of payments for down payment,

Can I use a credit card to pay for my Tesla?
Credit cards can only be used for the initial deposit. Acceptable methods of payment for the final amount due include electronic check (direct debit), personal check, certified check, and wire transfer. Acceptable methods of payment may vary with time constraints, delivery method, and delivery state.

@UtahIsRad, @wcorey, @voip-ninja you make good points. Like voip said, those who have been doing this a long time don't make the same mistakes. I think part of the problem is Tesla's lack of competence. You make it sound like either they are sneaky (by hiding their production schedule) or they don't give a sh*t (about those who gave them reservation dollars early). I think partly it's: they don't know how. They've been great engineers, incredible products, and they literally come to your door for service, but the wicked growth means they're making it up as they go along, and we're the unsuspecting guinea pigs. They would LOVE to give us all the cars we want when we want them, but they're still figuring out how to do that at scale. They will learn. Eventually.

By the way, last recharge in Morgantown->Marietta would leave JUST about enough juice to make it back to Morgantown...it would be iffy. In winter distance/charge cut 25%-35%

Well, we got the call and email from our IDA this evening. Missed the call, and the email stated to use email to reply.
It was just to introduce himself, and confirm we're paying cash with no trade-in.
So still no VIN and no date set.
But it's getting close!

Congratulations! But just gotta say, I got that call a month ago and I'm still waiting for a VIN or delivery date. Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: tony b and Relayer
@UtahIsRad, @wcorey, @voip-ninja you make good points. Like voip said, those who have been doing this a long time. I think last of the problem is Tesla's lack of competence. You make it sound like they either are sneaky or they don't give a sh*t (about those who have them reservation dollars early). I think partly it's - they don't know how. They've been great engineers, and they come to your door, but the wicked growth means they're making it up as they go along, and we're the unsuspecting guinea pigs. They would LOVE to give us all the cars we want when we want them, but they're still figuring out how to do that at scale. They will learn. Eventually.
J, and all, no...not at all. EVERYTHING I've ever heard about Tesla, from owners, are unanimous in that Tesla is a fantastic company for customer service and have an outstanding product...that was in connection to initial Roadster (my VP at the time had one), and S owners. Is it growing pains? To be sure. I think any customer thinking they can browbeat the rep on the phone is naieve. What I was told from a Tesla rep is the inside delivery/sales people are stressed to the point of quitting. Nor did I imply massive people are browbeating the reps. However, the kind of vitriol I've read on here has to ooze out someone else stroke or MI. For the Day 1/2 people I am highly confident you'll all have your cars by 2nd week in Sept. I am equally confident I'll have my VIN and MVPA by then although I am hoping for before Aug 30 when my loan approval expires.

I’m not overly interested in FSD to be honest.
Most aren't as reflected in number of people prepaying for it. I'm retired, my intent is to have the mortgage and car paid for w/i 3 yrs. I view the M3 as future-proofing our mobility. If I wait until we need automation, it would be an unrealistic financial burden at that point in time. If I go another 10 yrs or 25 yrs this is likely my last car. If I were mid career, I'd agree with you 100%.