Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also from NY picking up in NJ with the same config. As far as I know we folks can't take advantage of that no sales tax incentive because you pay that tax on what state you register your car to. If you have found a way around this LMK AND SAVE ME 5K!!!

I am pretty sure you are required to pay the taxes in the state in which you register the vehicle. I live in Michigan (I know, ugh) and am picking up in Illinois. I will end up paying Michigan the tax not Illinois. Here is a link that talks a little bit about it per state: Buying a Car Out of State | DMV.ORG

Made payment in full this morning.
Delivery set for Sept 13th
Think we'll get our VIN soon?:p
upload_2018-8-29_10-23-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-29_10-22-45.png
    upload_2018-8-29_10-22-45.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 66
Hello everyone! First time ever posting on this forum, first put down $1,000 on April first, 2016 and ordered it June 30th, 2018 in order to have premium connectivity for life. Got a call a week and a half ago and have put a down payment already and my pick up is this Thursday August 30! (MSM, Non-p, long range AWD, EPA, Black premium interior) I named her S’|’orm.

Ever since I’ve heard about Tesla vehicles I’ve wanted one, I currently own a Honda S2000 (picture attached), which sadly I believe I’ll have to sell which will be a sad day. Deciding on parting it out myself as I’ll get much more value for the car. I own it but the insurance is too much for a car I’ll hardly ever drive.

I must say I’ve been very happy with customer service so far, hoping they don’t suddenly delay my delivery in the next 24 hours lol. But the reason I’m happy apart from this suddenly delivery time (expected was Oct-Dec) is because I had changed my order about 7 times after my initial order.

I was told I could change it as much as I wanted before I got a VIN but did not know your price could change...suddenly the price went up $1,500 after switching and then back to the same setup...the AWD had gone up $1,000 and MSM $500 so I was very upset and tried to get answers from local Tesla store but I had to wait to speak with an advisor. In a matter of minutes he made a claim duento my original order date and they changed it all back to the original pricing without hesitation and then gave me the shock delivery time, so needless to say...very happy.

He also then helped me change my delivery to NJ to get the amazing EV incentive, no sales tax. less than 48 hours to go before my 10:30am appointment time, absolutely can’t wait and looking forward to hopefully meeting a few of you in the future! The S2000 family was incredible, hoping for the same here.
I would double check that no sales tax thing. I just called NJ and they said if I didn’t have a NJ address I could not take advantage of the incentive because NY is going to ask for their sales tax when I get my NY plates! Also you will miss out on the NY $2000 rebate that you definitely qualify for! Let me know what happens. Good luck.

I would double check that no sales tax thing. I just called NJ and they said if I didn’t have a NJ address I could not take advantage of the incentive because NY is going to ask for their sales tax when I get my NY plates! Also you will miss out on the NY $2000 rebate that you definitely qualify for! Let me know what happens. Good luck.

Yea, I told the guy my parents live in Edison, NJ so he got me setup JUST in time (literally like an hour before it was too late) to have delivery in NJ. I thought I could pick up in NY and register it in NJ using a Nj address but thankfully he corrected that just in time. So I’ll be able to get the no sales tax incentive.

Reactions: Fronhofer
I called Tesla this morning, and was told that I do have a VIN assigned. She told me that I should be hearing from somebody soon.
Congrats, and thanks for reporting back. So this does indeed imply that checking to see if you can access the url for edit design (from the “next step/order summary” page) would be a direct way to know if you have a VIN without calling and wasting the time of a Tesla employee.

Unfortunately for me, I can still get to that url :(

• Informative
Reactions: TechSavvyWife
Congrats, and thanks for reporting back. So this does indeed imply that checking to see if you can access the url for edit design (from the “next step/order summary” page) would be a direct way to know if you have a VIN without calling and wasting the time of a Tesla employee.

Unfortunately for me, I can still get to that url :(
She said I wasn’t wasting her time, and was very nice. I thought you said that the backdoor link was not working for you. I must have missed that part.

I am pretty sure you are required to pay the taxes in the state in which you register the vehicle. I live in Michigan (I know, ugh) and am picking up in Illinois. I will end up paying Michigan the tax not Illinois. Here is a link that talks a little bit about it per state: Buying a Car Out of State | DMV.ORG
It depends on the state. If you pick up in CA, for example, you will pay CA taxes.

I called Tesla this morning, and was told that I do have a VIN assigned. She told me that I should be hearing from somebody soon.

Just want to add my data point to this. I noticed that the backdoor edit link had stopped working recently (edit button had disappeared month ago) and based on your post, thought I'd give them a call to see if I too had a VIN assigned.

It sounds like I do!! My order has been assigned to Teresa and my VIN ends in 86XXX.

Details:
AWD
Black
19"
EAP
Cash, No-trade
Reservation: 4/8/2016
Ordered: 7/8/2018
No Edits. No Contact
Called 8/29. VIN assigned. ISA(?) Teresa.

I got an email about my Model 3 being through production. Asking to confirm Cash/Tradein and more insurance info.

I don't have my VIN yet (asked for it), but will update the spreadsheets when I get it.

Details
AWD
Blue Ext.
White Int.
18" Aero
Reservation: 5/20/18
Config: 6/30/18
Change to white interior: 7/30/18 - Edit URL backdoor
Tried Edit URL backdoor: 8/28/18 - Didn't work
Got Email from Tesla: 8/28/18

Inquired with the guy about Adding EAP prior to delivery, and asked for VIN. No response yet.

Fun Note, My current car threw an O2 sensor code on same day I got the email from Tesla. Kind of fitting.

We took delivery yesterday. There was one small door alignment issue that we'll make an appointment to get taken care of. There's also a spot of touch up paint on one of the rear doors... not a big deal since our detailing shop is doing a full paint correction and protection job on it as we speak. We were in and out in 20 minutes - super easy.

• Informative
Reactions: nerdy
With regards to when AWD / Performance are scheduled to be delivered, here the Delivery summary for 134 orders who received one:

upload_2018-8-29_12-37-34.png

n.b. The grey area is in the past. In theory, these cars should have been delivered, but we're not currently tracking scheduled vs. actual.

PS Sorry if you're bored with all these charts / posts. Can you tell I'm anxious (and obsessed) and impatient to receive my Model 3?? Plus if someone asks "Does anyone know ____?" it's a fun challenge ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: webdbbt and sbtz
If it helps anyone, I got all excited thinking my edit ability had gone away using the backdoor edit link (I have no normal edit link after switching to cash), but it turns out I was using the wrong link.

You have to use: tesla.com/teslaaccount/edit-design/RNXXXXXXXXX

I was using the following link which has worked before and now does not directly (it is what the above link redirects to): 3.tesla.com/model3/design/RNXXXXXXXXX

If it helps anyone, I got all excited thinking my edit ability had gone away using the backdoor edit link (I have no normal edit link after switching to cash), but it turns out I was using the wrong link.

You have to use: tesla.com/teslaaccount/edit-design/RNXXXXXXXXX

I was using the following link which has worked before and now does not directly (it is what the above link redirects to): 3.tesla.com/model3/design/RNXXXXXXXXX

Did this exact thing! I had it booked marked with the 3 prefix. :)