Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of them for sure is dual motor since it has a white interior. I assumed all three were DM but now maybe I need to verify.

I know that barring a Tesla fumble there will be a 4th one (blue) in the garage starting Thursday that will also be dual motor.

So Tesla fumbled the ball.... I recall giving them a 50/50 chance of actually being able to make delivery this week and sure enough there is a "transit delay" and the car won't be available until next week. I asked for more information about the delay as I'm concerned it could be that the car was damaged but they wouldn't give me any more information. I'm tempted to swing by the delivery center this afternoon and make sure the car is not sitting there with a giant scrape down the side.

5 days out from delivery with no VIN/MVPA. And it's fine! Just got this email from the Scheduler (who is super responsive!)
You are confirmed for the 22nd. If any changes/delays occur, I’ll be sure to notify you immediately so you can make any necessary adjustments in your schedule.
Your final delivery checklist is completed so this should speed up the process on receiving a VIN.
Thank you

After reading 217 pages of comments I can't seem to find a solid answer - does the backdoor URL edit stop working at some point?

**Talked to a NV rep last week as I needed to change pickup location and was told both she and the DA were unable to access parts of my account which she said is an indication that I have been moved down to the contracts department. Tired the backdoor edit trick today for giggles and it didn't work anymore. Worked a week-ish ago when I tried it.

It's inconsistent and changing.

It's tied to when your account gets a VIN/MVPA assigned. When that happens, the back door link stops working. But they now assign VIN/MVPAs very late (as little as 48hr before taking delivery), and the back door will work all the way up to that point.

• Informative
Reactions: TechSavvyWife
After reading 217 pages of comments I can't seem to find a solid answer - does the backdoor URL edit stop working at some point?

**Talked to a NV rep last week as I needed to change pickup location and was told both she and the DA were unable to access parts of my account which she said is an indication that I have been moved down to the contracts department. Tired the backdoor edit trick today for giggles and it didn't work anymore. Worked a week-ish ago when I tried it.

Generally speaking the backdoor edit URL stops working right before you are contacted by Tesla to schedule a delivery date.

• Informative

It's tied to when your account gets a VIN/MVPA assigned. When that happens, the back door link stops working. But they now assign VIN/MVPAs very late (as little as 48hr before taking delivery), and the back door will work all the way up to that point.

That was not the case for me at all.... the backdoor edit link stopped working and another week went by without my order showing a VIN or the inside delivery adviser being able to give me a VIN. I finally got my VIN/MVPA from the local service center around 8 days from my originally scheduled delivery date.

• Informative
People need to stop with the gross paranoia. I am confident all cars destined for non-west coast deliveries go through Chicago. From there they, likely the entire car they are on, get switched to trains going to Boston, DC, Florida etc.

If people recall, eastern NC and SC are largely under water now due to, what those of us on the East Coast call inclement weather. Consequently switching cars in Chicago may be a tad problematic.

The scheduling has been super responsive but actually getting the car is a challenge. Out of the blue on Wednesday night I was told I could get the car on Saturday. I had to scramble to get the money in the right bank account. Late Friday I was notified of an insurance snafu - my fault - but I scrambled to resolve it and rescheduled for Monday. On Sunday evening I got a call that the car was in NJ not the targeted delivery location in MA and was told we would have to reschedule.

The Tesla team is clearly working hard and trying to be very responsive - so no complaints there. However both they and I have burned quite a few extra cycles as a result of overly optimistic delivery assumptions and mis information. As the saying goes - haste makes waste. It seems like a few simple process changes would go a long way towards resolving these types of issues.

Reactions: webdbbt
People need to stop with the gross paranoia. I am confident all cars destined for non-west coast deliveries go through Chicago. From there they, likely the entire car they are on, get switched to trains going to Boston, DC, Florida etc.

If people recall, eastern NC and SC are largely under water now due to, what those of us on the East Coast call inclement weather. Consequently switching cars in Chicago may be a tad problematic.

It's not paranoia.

The VIN just disappeared from my order.... so what do you make of that?

That was not the case for me at all.... the backdoor edit link stopped working and another week went by without my order showing a VIN or the inside delivery adviser being able to give me a VIN. I finally got my VIN/MVPA from the local service center around 8 days from my originally scheduled delivery date.
and that is about what Tesla has been telling people 2-5 days. They aren't giving VINS at manufacture because too many people do last minute changes forcing new vehicles.

• Informative
and that is about what Tesla has been telling people 2-5 days. They aren't giving VINS at manufacture because too many people do last minute changes forcing new vehicles.

You have repeatedly in this thread asserted that you understand why Tesla is doing the things they are doing... you've even extended that now to claiming you understand how their delivery logistics are laid out.

I haven't seen anything to indicate you know any of these things, you just pontificate and pass it off as factual.

Tesla could be delaying distribution of VINs for a number of reasons but the most logically one, to me, is that they are building and shipping cars as fast as possible and then assigning the VIN to a customer who already has that car on order from them and whose number is coming up in the queue.... I don't see that "people changing their mind last minute" is what is driving this.]

It's actually a problem for many people when Tesla compresses relaying a VIN to a matter of a few days before they will receive the vehicle as the VIN is typically needed to secure funding, get insurance lined up, etc.

It's not paranoia.

I wasn't quoting your comment, I was adding an un-accredited comment to "Tesla fumbled the ball". Guys, Ladies, they are HIGHLY motivated to sell you these cars this month before COB 9/30. For those unfamiliar, due to geography, hurricanes, they tend to screw with airlines trains boats, cars, etc, just like massive winter storms mess with trucking and planes.

Picked up my TM3 over the weekend. Very smooth delivery, there were at least 15 / 20 getting done on the same day.
Fit and finish was very good... was worried about it after reading all the bad stories. The only minor issue was that the USB connections did not get power which they fixed immediately. EAP was not enabled and i had to make a call and was pushed down over night and tried it out this morning and all is working well!
Which location in NJ? I visited the Cherry Hill SC twice and didn't see anyone getting a car. Nice folks though.

You have repeatedly in this thread asserted that you understand why Tesla is doing the things they are doing... you've even extended that now to claiming you understand how their delivery logistics are laid out.

I haven't seen anything to indicate you know any of these things, you just pontificate and pass it off as factual.

Tesla could be delaying distribution of VINs for a number of reasons but the most logically one, to me, is that they are building and shipping cars as fast as possible and then assigning the VIN to a customer who already has that car on order from them and whose number is coming up in the queue.... I don't see that "people changing their mind last minute" is what is driving this.]

It's actually a problem for many people when Tesla compresses relaying a VIN to a matter of a few days before they will receive the vehicle as the VIN is typically needed to secure funding, get insurance lined up, etc.
Thats easy to fix...ignore me. As for why. Maybe I just...no..I'll let your imagination deal with it.

Generally speaking the backdoor edit URL stops working right before you are contacted by Tesla to schedule a delivery date.

@wcorey @voip-ninja @cmyke Thank you so much. That helps answer some questions. And what you said about it stopping just before delivery date is schedule would check out as I still don't have a date or VIN for that matter. Will report back on timeframe between now and when I hear from my DA with a date.

It's not paranoia.

Several people have been told that the website has been coded to only show the VIN within 7 days of your delivery date, so if your date gets pushed back then the VIN disappears.

Insert usual disclaimers about customer service people knowing what they're talking about here...

On a related note, while I had my VIN assigned 7 days prior, my MVPA is still the generic one listing my RN. I imagine the the final MVPA with the VIN doesn't come across until closer to delivery when there is higher confidence the vehicle will make it there on time. I assume this lets them swap out VINs more easily as needed for logistics.

• Informative
On a related note, while I had my VIN assigned 7 days prior, my MVPA is still the generic one listing my RN. I imagine the the final MVPA with the VIN doesn't come across until closer to delivery when there is higher confidence the vehicle will make it there on time. I assume this lets them swap out VINs more easily as needed for logistics.

Did they call and let you know the VIN then for financing/insurance purposes? I'm trying to figure out when I will be able to finalize my financing.

Did they call and let you know the VIN then for financing/insurance purposes? I'm trying to figure out when I will be able to finalize my financing.

No I just check my account 20 times a d....I mean every once in a while, you know not obsessively or anything...and happened to notice the VIN was listed right under my RN on the right side of the page. It happened seven days prior to my scheduled delivery date, not quite to the hour, but to the day.